Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Timothy's Silly DG/X Thread (new drawing on page 4)Posted: August 28th, 2012, 12:26 am
Because sometimes you need to be silly:

Phased Array Radar Test Ship:
[ img ]

I took my DG/AEGIS base, and wrapped a reduced RCS shell around the superstructure. After redesigning the bridge to fit with the new super structure I took a modified Burke mast and added the X-Band SPY-1 from the CPCX designs to the top, and above that on the pole I added a shipborne version of the F-35's Distributed Aperture System (a full 360ยฐ EO/IRST unit). Atop the aft SPY-1 deckhouse I added another deckhouse to mount the Air & Missile Defense Radar (AMDR). A bit of clean-up work and voila!

Now, as she's got three rather high-end radars I'm thinking that probably two of the four turbines would be hooked up to generators, and even then she wouldn't be able to run all of the radars at full power, but she's a test ship so it isn't as large of a deal as when she was on the line.

Hull pennant and name are obviously fully conjectural.

Edit: Cookie to the first person who can ID all of the missiles on the drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Phased Array Radar Test ShipPosted: August 28th, 2012, 7:22 am
Very interesting idea, very blocky, but for an essentialy test ship it's enough. ;) (I can't write "nice" because most modern warships just don't fit that description in my opinion ;) )

P.S. Identifying first 6 missiles from the left is easy (parts sheet) and the 7th I just happened to know, but I'm bit puzzled about the last one.

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: Phased Array Radar Test ShipPosted: August 28th, 2012, 4:15 pm
Very interesting. While I agree with Eswube that it's not all that pretty, it's got some interesting features. Great idea on the F-35 EO/IRST system. Are you using that for gunfire control?

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Phased Array Radar Test ShipPosted: August 28th, 2012, 4:28 pm
I really love this ship. It looks smart and very happenin'. I especially love the blue underwater hull. It lends character to the vessel. One thing I'm curious about, Tim, is your treatment of the bridge windows. Are they supposed to be that rounded?

My Avatar:ะŸะตั‚ั€ ะะปะตะบัะตะตะฒะธั‡ ะ‘ะตะทะพะฑั€ะฐะทะพะฒ (Petr Alekseevich Bezobrazov), ะ’ะธั†ะต-ะฐะดะผะธั€ะฐะป , ั†ะฐั€ัะบะฐั ะ’ะœะค ะ ะพััะธะธ(1845-1906) - I sign my drawings as Ari Saarinen

[Profile] [Quote]
Raven
Post subject: Re: Phased Array Radar Test ShipPosted: August 28th, 2012, 5:22 pm
The last missile looks like an ASALM

By This Sign You Will Conquer

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Phased Array Radar Test ShipPosted: August 28th, 2012, 8:12 pm
Thank you all for the compliments, and I have a few extra ideas for things I would like to change so watch this space for updates. :D
eswube wrote:
Very interesting idea, very blocky, but for an essentialy test ship it's enough. ;) (I can't write "nice" because most modern warships just don't fit that description in my opinion ;) )

P.S. Identifying first 6 missiles from the left is easy (parts sheet) and the 7th I just happened to know, but I'm bit puzzled about the last one.
Well, what is the 7th then?
travestytrav25 wrote:
Very interesting. While I agree with Eswube that it's not all that pretty, it's got some interesting features. Great idea on the F-35 EO/IRST system. Are you using that for gunfire control?
The DAS unit is used for both the Mk 110 and as a cuing the Mk 49 launcher. It is also used to identify and track surface targets. Mostly it's there as a test platform. I'm somewhat imagining that one of her sister ships might turn into the Self Defense Test ship in place of the USS Paul F. Foster. That drawing might come around at some point. :D
bezobrazov wrote:
I really love this ship. It looks smart and very happenin'. I especially love the blue underwater hull. It lends character to the vessel. One thing I'm curious about, Tim, is your treatment of the bridge windows. Are they supposed to be that rounded?
The Bridge windows are supposed to be rectangular, but I was trying to avoid swaths of black.
Raven wrote:
The last missile looks like an ASALM
That is correct.

Note: there are two missiles over the Mk 49 GMLS, but only one is RAM, so even with all of the missiles over the main VLS identified, the cookie is still up for grabs. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Phased Array Radar Test ShipPosted: August 28th, 2012, 8:31 pm
TimothyC wrote:
My guess is UUM-125 Sea Lance - the looks is just like it, though it's a sort of never-were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Uum-125a.jpg

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Phased Array Radar Test ShipPosted: August 28th, 2012, 8:40 pm
I'm guessing the AIM-95 Agile for the second missile for the RAM as I remember on the old forum Erik T used it similarly

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Phased Array Radar Test ShipPosted: August 28th, 2012, 9:45 pm
eswube wrote:
TimothyC wrote:
My guess is UUM-125 Sea Lance - the looks is just like it, though it's a sort of never-were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Uum-125a.jpg
That would be correct!
Trojan wrote:
I'm guessing the AIM-95 Agile for the second missile for the RAM as I remember on the old forum Erik T used it similarly
That would not be correct, but it's a good guess.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Phased Array Radar Test ShipPosted: August 28th, 2012, 10:31 pm
Ok, thanks for clarifying! It still looks great, though.

My Avatar:ะŸะตั‚ั€ ะะปะตะบัะตะตะฒะธั‡ ะ‘ะตะทะพะฑั€ะฐะทะพะฒ (Petr Alekseevich Bezobrazov), ะ’ะธั†ะต-ะฐะดะผะธั€ะฐะป , ั†ะฐั€ัะบะฐั ะ’ะœะค ะ ะพััะธะธ(1845-1906) - I sign my drawings as Ari Saarinen

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Return to โ€œPersonal Designsโ€ | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: