Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
Andorianus
Post subject: Citadel Class frigatePosted: December 29th, 2012, 7:23 pm
[ img ]
My newest AU ship. I hope it is good enough to not be in the beginners forum.

Quick rundown on its systems for anyone interested:

The mast atop of the bridge is a MATRI-X Full Capability Integrated Mast. It contains a quite powerful rotating radar in its top piece, comparable to Herakles, and can carry out surveillance, tracking, and missile guidance simultaneously. There are no separate directors (although the CIWS has its own inbuilt director). The mast also contains EO sensors, comms, an LPI radar, and what not. The CIWS is based upon the Linebacker found in the older weapon sheets, and is AFAIK an AU piece. However, when expanded it looks slightly different, being armed with a quadruple rotary cannon and 8 missiles instead. The gun aft is a self-designed 60mm autocannon. Fires guided AHEAD munitions. The machine guns collapse into the superstructure to reduce radar cross section. Like the Visby class, the exhaust gases are filtered and left out at the rear, close to the waterline. Bridge and c&c are combined.

Again no underwater drawing, I did attempt one but didn’t finish it yet because it looked off. Also, did I do the naming right?

MConrads drew the hull, as the bow is based upon the Visby Class. The colour palette is derived from Blackbuck's Atlantia ships.

Open to advice, as always. Be critical if need be.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: December 29th, 2012, 7:43 pm
he's back!
anyways, interesting. I have only a few small remarks:
- is that an helideck, amidships? if it is, it seems an bad idea to have an heightened part just aft of it, and especially the antenna's. if it is not, it seems empty
- 4 ammo calibers on a ship this size? especially when at least 2 types are dual purpose (127 and 60mm) this seems excessive.
- the mast, seems to work, but is, to be honest, a bit ugly xD
- are you sure you didn't overload this hull? compared to the visby, this is a lot of armament on this hull.
- I would call this an corvette, size based, not an frigate
- why not just take the hull of the visby?
- that stern VLS should be in a better place then that. following all the above, there should be some free space available where you can fit it :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Andorianus
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: December 29th, 2012, 8:16 pm
Aye, I took my time, but I'm back!
Quote:
is that an helideck, amidships? if it is, it seems an bad idea to have an heightened part just aft of it, and especially the antenna's. if it is not, it seems empty
It is. The antenna's, well, I could not find another place for them, so I put them there and thought they might be able to fold backwards with a servomotor when a helo would approach. Might have to change that.
Quote:
4 ammo calibers on a ship this size? especially when at least 2 types are dual purpose (127 and 60mm) this seems excessive.
I should maybe change this, but I am not certain about it yet. I'll consider, in a sec.
Quote:
the mast, seems to work, but is, to be honest, a bit ugly xD
It is, I can't disagree with that. :P
Quote:
are you sure you didn't overload this hull? compared to the visby, this is a lot of armament on this hull.
Assuming a 120 man crew and the same accomodations as on the Visby, the slight increase in length would be just enough to compensate. This ship is almost 100 meter long, even though it doesn't look that way.
Quote:
I would call this an corvette, size based, not an frigate
With the armament on this ship, a frigate seems like a well suited name for me; then again, naming convetions are trivial anyways.
Quote:
why not just take the hull of the visby?
Essentially, it is the visby hull in its entirity. It's just slightly longer. I was originally more aiming for a personalised version of the Shelde combatant but shorter; in the end, this turned out to be a bit difficult as there is little information on the ship.
Quote:
that stern VLS should be in a better place then that. following all the above, there should be some free space available where you can fit it
I don't really see why, in all honesty, unless you mean that it might interfere with helicopter operations. Either way, there is fairly little space in front of the hangar; the space that is available is that below the hangar or the gunnery stations. I can fix that but I'll probably have to change the hull shape or the superstructure for that.

As always, thanks for the help Ace!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: December 29th, 2012, 8:27 pm
wait! where are you planning to fit an hangar? even when just large enough for an lynx, the hangar would go into the bridge area.
the VLS, would IMO, best be fitted in front of the bridge. an CIWS replacing the stern mount, the forward mount of an lower calibre. the weight on the hull, I was talking mostly about mass and topweight, against which lengthening does not help ;)

ow and, for the visby hull, I meant the underwater hull :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: December 29th, 2012, 8:51 pm
I am slightly confused. I don't see anything of mine on there at all.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: December 29th, 2012, 8:52 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
I am slightly confused. I don't see anything of mine on there at all.
paintjob ;)
which should not be credited, though, IIRC :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Andorianus
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: December 30th, 2012, 2:29 pm
Quote:
wait! where are you planning to fit an hangar? even when just large enough for an lynx, the hangar would go into the bridge area.
There is a hangar here. It indeed slightly recesses into the bridge area. (Before you say it, that CIWS does not penetrate the deck, and ammunition is stored behind it. ;)) You can see how far it recesses here by this orange line: (which is there just for demonstration purposes, I'll remove it)
[ img ]
The hangar is small and the maintenence crew has to share the flex deck, but a small utilitarian helicopter should fit. To be frank I want't even sure if I should even fit one for some time.

I removed the gun out front since this is meant to be a blue water ship anyways. It has been replaced by a 60mm gun now, the same one as there used to be aft. I also changed the hull, made it about 1.5 meter taller and a correspondingly longer and wider, but it somehow looks off now. Is it too tall?

Also added minor details, changed the systems layout a bit, changed the colour of the vents, added an ensign, lowered the rear portion, added more vents, sensors, and liferaft hatches, changed the torpedo tube hatch, removed the antenna. I could not find a place for it anywhere, so I hope the flat-panel antenna's on the mast will do.

Blackbuck, shall I remove you from the credits?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: December 30th, 2012, 2:35 pm
Well if it's just derived from a paint scheme choice then I Should say so. That said. I've no gripes you having a go with any of my AU systems etc =]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: December 30th, 2012, 3:13 pm
hmm. that hangar intruding into the bridge seems an bad idea. wouldn't it be possible to move hangar and helideck more aft, and move the stern gun and VLS more to amidships?

[Profile] [Quote]
Andorianus
Post subject: Re: Citadel Class frigatePosted: December 30th, 2012, 5:54 pm
The VLS can't be amidships; the hangar, flex deck and maintenence bay are adjoined, and since the latter two go under the bridge I need to make the ship significantly longer to put a VLS in between; it's not impossible, but it's not an elegant nor practical solution and leaves unused space behind. Ideally it'd be in front of the superstructure somewhere, at the foredeck, which is also not preferable since it penetrates the narrow space underneath it, but would work better.

Then again, I do not see a problem with how it is currently placed. If it is the helicopter approach you are worried about, I could maybe lower the aft weaponary one deck (but it is a little close to the waterline this way).

I do not see a problem with the bridge either; it can't be seen from this angle, but from atop it is very similar to my first serious Shipbucket ship, which had a similar indent but for the VLS and not the hangar. In the case of the citadel class, it looks more like this (not to scale):
[ img ]

Blackbuck, thanks for the offer. I think I might take it, Atlantia has some very interesting systems in service. ;-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: