Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Dominion Battlecruiser & Kongo KillerPosted: November 19th, 2010, 10:32 pm
[ img ]

This is a theoretical vessel I came up with while talking to Nighthunter. My take on a "Kongo Killer" for the Pacific.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Dominion Battlecruiser & Kongo KillerPosted: November 19th, 2010, 11:15 pm
Very nice.

I'm guessing quad 14-inchers forward and 4.5-inch DP guns?

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Dominion Battlecruiser & Kongo KillerPosted: November 19th, 2010, 11:55 pm
Yes. Correct on both counts! I wanted a decent air complement for scouting.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Dominion Battlecruiser & Kongo KillerPosted: November 19th, 2010, 11:57 pm
One remark as to style: 14" guns should not be painted in black.
As for the design, I would venture to suggest that you place more life-boats, in the area after the funnels.
Also consider putting some more light AA guns on the hangar roof, as well as on the blocky strycture just in front of the first funnel (there is a place there - if I'm not mistaken it originated from HMS Manchester (done by Hood), and there originally was a quad 'Pom-Pom' mounting).
Note also that the director you placed on-top of the tower structure (the uppermost director) is for surface fire only, so you don't need two, especially one so high which will be subject to too much vibrations when the guns are firing, it will be useless.
I would also suggest placing more high-angle directors, for the 4.5" guns and also looking for the 'Pom-Pom' directors to add them near each mounting.
Anyway this is a very nice try and IMHO a good idea for a Pacific war.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Dominion Battlecruiser & Kongo KillerPosted: November 20th, 2010, 12:37 am
I will work on that. I wanted to error on the safe side with AA armament. I know a common mistake is sticking too many AA guns on a prewar design.

Here is the (hopefully) corrected version:

[ img ]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[Profile] [Quote]
BrockPaine
Post subject: Re: Dominion Battlecruiser & Kongo KillerPosted: November 20th, 2010, 4:09 am
Some thoughts...
- The Queen Anne's Mansions really look far too large for that hull.
- I think that 4.5" turret was only used on the carriers due to the need for a low-profile mounting. Regardless, it looks... very squashed.
- Very interesting concept. I presume it's 8x14"? Would also be a decent enough ship to chase pocket battleships and ugly sisters.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Dominion Battlecruiser & Kongo KillerPosted: November 20th, 2010, 8:32 am
BrockPaine wrote:
Some thoughts...
- I think that 4.5" turret was only used on the carriers due to the need for a low-profile mounting. Regardless, it looks... very squashed.
This mountings were used also on HMS Queen Elizabeth, HMS Valiant and FMS Renown
[ img ]
[ img ]and last
[ img ]

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Dominion Battlecruiser & Kongo KillerPosted: November 20th, 2010, 9:55 am
Quote:
I presume it's 8x14"
Yes, two quad 14" turrets.
Quote:
Would also be a decent enough ship to chase pocket battleships and ugly sisters.
Interestingly enough, that's how this whole design got started, was Nighthunter and I were discussing a panzerschiff killer for the dominions, when I pointed out a Kongo killer was what was really needed, as for Pacific dominions, that would be the more likely, and deadlier enemy, and this was my take on what would be up to doing the job. I wanted something reasonably fast, well protected, with good scouting ability. In a way, what I wanted was a British Dunkerque/Strasbourg, using RN weapons. Of course, D & S were French panzerschiff killers and an extrapolation of Rodney in some ways.

I went with the 4.5" because the 5.25" was somewhat buggy during this time, and there would soon be a shortage of them anyway. The 4.5" did have some problems as well, but that was more due to the ammo than the weapon. In the main, however, it was a more reliable weapon.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Dominion Battlecruiser & Kongo KillerPosted: November 20th, 2010, 3:11 pm
You might want to use the improved Swordfish that Hood drew for some of his WWII ships (check archive); the one your using is from 'Unknowns' work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs”

Jump to: