Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 5  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Design competition: Suppot ship for a minor naval powerPosted: September 30th, 2013, 8:07 pm
Looks like the upper deck might hold four 40ft containers, empty (since the two-tonne tare weight of a container is the same as eight or ten Harpoons, and I assume the Danes don't carry around ungodly stability margins just for shits and giggles).

Politely, one might consider this to be a very compromised support ship. Maybe a good place for a Boy Scout troop to have a campout in foul weather.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Design competition: Suppot ship for a minor naval powerPosted: October 1st, 2013, 7:43 am
erik_t wrote:
Looks like the upper deck might hold four 40ft containers, empty (since the two-tonne tare weight of a container is the same as eight or ten Harpoons)
LOL :lol:
Hmmm, you laugh, I hope...
a harpoon weighs around 600/700 kg......not 200kg :|
a quadruple canister with 4 harpoon's must weigh at least 3 tons, even 4 !!! (missiles + box + support)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Design competition: Suppot ship for a minor naval powerPosted: October 1st, 2013, 1:42 pm
Whoops; a metric ton is obviously 1000kg, not 2000kg. My mistake. An empty shipping container is around 4000kg.

I hope you enjoy carrying four or five empty shipping containers around. I am not sure what force you envision supporting logistically with your empty containers, but I bet it is a pretty awesome one.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: Design competition: Suppot ship for a minor naval powerPosted: October 1st, 2013, 1:58 pm
Well that is why I said to rework that entire superstructure area anyway. Its designed for its current use, there is no reason to keep it that way its not being used that way.

Its not a smart place for the containers anyway, its got got aweful freeboard and access especially for the drawn crane and it adds top weight.

Since you are goint to have to expand the boat door by a meter and the 15m CB90s are going to take up all of the port side basically making the flex deck a one lane afair just put the containers in there.

[Profile] [Quote]
MC Spoilt B'stard
Post subject: Re: Design competition: Suppot ship for a minor naval powerPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 10:42 am
Quote:
Since you are goint to have to expand the boat door by a meter and the 15m CB90s are going to take up all of the port side basically making the flex deck a one lane afair just put the containers in there.
Well thats what i would do, use the upper deck for weapons and the Flex-deck for Ro-Ro containers, very easy to load and unload especially in foreign ports with little or no facilities. Unload and move on.

O Btw im working on a 2nd design, more simple and cheap.
The ship just under 100 m, capable of landing a NH-90 and operating a A-109 from its hangar. Including 5 20 feet containers below decks, 2 interceptor RHIB's, 24 knots , Diesel-Electric , 7000 NM or 40 days endurance. Accomodation for 60 crew + sickbay / recovery for 4 persons.

Also an aditional number of ratings.

Comming Soon

------
Caption signing treaty with England by Johan de Witt

[Working List]
None

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Design competition: Suppot ship for a minor naval powerPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 4:31 pm
1. 124 meter long.
2. Container under deck + six large and six small on both side of the superstructure in front of the Hangar. there is also an large access point (hatch down to the RO-RO deck bellow her.
3. Large crane build in to the superstructure on the center line.
4. Hangar large enough for storing one Chinook.
5. Large power-plant for being able to deliver electricity to anywhere needed.
6. for improving medical facility, the RO-RO deck can be fitted with special designed for this ship. Containers that are build up as medical facility.
7. can take with it around 60- soldiers. 150+- depending on how the RO-RO deck is equipped.

(Basically: a ship with large RO-RO deck that is designed as an flex deck. need more crew: add an container, need medical facility: add a container, etc.)

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Design competition: Suppot ship for a minor naval powerPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 5:32 pm
I like it, although I'd ditch the 30mm-class weapons aft. You're a support ship, and you're for a minor naval power. You don't need multiple types of unmanned power-operated autocannon. MAYBE fit something like Mk 38.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Design competition: Suppot ship for a minor naval powerPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 5:45 pm
erik_t wrote:
I like it, although I'd ditch the 30mm-class weapons aft. You're a support ship, and you're for a minor naval power. You don't need multiple types of unmanned power-operated autocannon. MAYBE fit something like Mk 38.
the aft on is the Swedish 40mm.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Design competition: Suppot ship for a minor naval powerPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 7:16 pm
Whatever it is. 40mm and 57mm on the same hull? Please, get real. It's a small cargo ship that can defend itself. I think you could reasonably justify nothing but crew-served weapons.

[Profile] [Quote]
sparky42
Post subject: Re: Design competition: Suppot ship for a minor naval powerPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 9:00 pm
heuhen wrote:
1. 124 meter long.
2. Container under deck + six large and six small on both side of the superstructure in front of the Hangar. there is also an large access point (hatch down to the RO-RO deck bellow her.
3. Large crane build in to the superstructure on the center line.
4. Hangar large enough for storing one Chinook.
5. Large power-plant for being able to deliver electricity to anywhere needed.
6. for improving medical facility, the RO-RO deck can be fitted with special designed for this ship. Containers that are build up as medical facility.
7. can take with it around 60- soldiers. 150+- depending on how the RO-RO deck is equipped.

(Basically: a ship with large RO-RO deck that is designed as an flex deck. need more crew: add an container, need medical facility: add a container, etc.)
In terms of minor naval powers I think that you might be a little short in the number of soldiers. Considering before the crash the Irish Government was planning something like this, an Absalon was one of the options they were looking at. This was mainly to allow for moving battle group sized forces (light Battalion) with equipment.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 5  [ 46 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: