Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Another big dumb missile battleshipPosted: October 1st, 2013, 5:27 pm
This drawing is looking so awesome, that I am considering to travel to a place In Norway "Hell" just to give my words some weight:

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/2241352.jpg

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: Another big dumb missile battleshipPosted: October 1st, 2013, 8:24 pm
I would add a Ku Band Hawklink for SH-60R compatibility.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Another big dumb missile battleshipPosted: October 1st, 2013, 8:57 pm
I think Hawk Link (or the equivalent LAMPS link) was purely C-band in that era, and the Ku came quite a lot later.

In any case, the comms stuff is a bit notional and handwaved, and the datalink side most handwaved of all. I figure there's probably some timesharing of the eight multi-band C/X/Ku dishes, which are likely a mostly or completely new system. I tried to make that clear in the Giant Block of Text, although it's a little clearer in spreadsheet form on my workstation than it is in unformatted text...

Worst case, some of those domes change size and shape in order to accommodate different systems.

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: Another big dumb missile battleshipPosted: October 1st, 2013, 9:04 pm
Gorgeous, but shouldn't she have a state name like the other CGN's of the era?

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: Another big dumb missile battleshipPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 1:24 am
What era are we talking about? Just so I can get on the same page. Also, What is SQS-53L? and where is NIXIE?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Another big dumb missile battleshipPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 1:38 am
It's the early 1980s, as indicated in the first post. SQS-53L is a notional large-array SQS-53. Likewise, SLQ-32XL is a notional large-array SLQ-32(V)2; active jamming is somewhat offboard of the SLQ-32 boxes, which are arranged at 0/180/60/120 and so preclude jammers of the (V)3 sort.

I know nothing of modern doctrine, but the physical configuration of SLQ-32 would suggest to me that doctrine has a jamming ship turn roughly broadside to the threat receiver, if indeed the jammers of (V)3, (V)4 and (V)5 have any directionality at all (one would hope/assume they do). Either way, this mode of operation is unsuited to a ship that might have to jam on multiple threat axes at once. Ramses appears to be a rather more directional jammer than SLQ-32, so I selected it for the tactical jammer. I wanted something with rather more oomph, for dealing with far-off threats like AWACS, in the grand tradition of glorious Soviet jammers like Side Globe. These are the white blocks at 45/135 bearing, and envision trainable dishes inside.

Last edited by erik_t on October 2nd, 2013, 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: Another big dumb missile battleshipPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 3:05 am
Ah. Thats cool. Do you have a reference for an AN/SQS-53L? A link or something.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Another big dumb missile battleshipPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 3:42 am
I can't, because I made it up. Completely not-real. I think the OP has some dimensional information, but that's all you can ever get.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: Another big dumb missile battleshipPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 6:07 am
Well in that case might I recommend taking that off and putting in a LFA like they used on the MV Corey Chouest. It would satisfy the LF SONAR requirement and it's pretty awesome operationally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Cory_Chouest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Frequency_Active_Sonar

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Another big dumb missile battleshipPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 9:13 am
Very impressive looking drawing. VLS aren't as cool looking as launchers like the Slava's had but that's my own personal opinion.
Any thoughts on the (inevitable) soviet counter to these? You'd assume that they'd try to build something against them. What date were the Kirovs? An alt of those possibly.

Shame on me for bringing up the Kirov, that ship has been butchered to death so many times on NS.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: