Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 6  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
heuhen
Post subject: Maximum Fridtjof Nansen classPosted: June 25th, 2014, 4:05 pm
After done some cheeking on Norwegian military forum. and had an talk with my step dad:

Quote mt step dad (former commander of the Royal Norwegian Navy, and one of many working on the Norwegian frigate project. he was among the bosses in the team, and probably why Navanti hate the Norwegians! and he is an engineer in electricity, with field in radars as specialty):
Quote:
Nansen is designed to handle up to three 8 cell full length VLS for Standard missiles, while being inside the Norwegian Navy weight limit on hove much ice on deck she must be able to carry and still be stable (300 tons). but if the number was reduced with a few tons she would be able to carry an 48 cell VLS module. with Standards and ESSM. other known fact is that she is also designed to handle the 127/54 compact, but there is no problem to install 127/64 on here to replace the 76mm. aft gun is said to be a 40mm but there is an chance that the Navy would go for the 56mm, But I don't think they will since the Norwegian Navy are storing and high amount of 40mm ammunition from the Oslo class and Hauk class, and to replace all 40 mm ammunition with 56 mm will just be stupid. the cheep ASW system. well am not entirely sure, but I have heard talk about making an Light/small version of the Terne system, with small rockets or an multiple barreled depth charge cannon of some sort.

Oh! the first drawing we received from Navanti/Bazan of the frigate was shorter and had SPY-1D, but then we showed them an picture of an Oslo class frigate with over 1.5 meter with snow on deck. next week we received that basic design of today's frigate, a longer hull and with SPY-1F. one thing about the radar, the reason we chose an radar doom like the Nansen have is that it was supposed to be able to be de-mounted, for an later upgrade! but if it's possible without an massive rebuild of electric system up to the radar... I don't know! but I enter in that part of the document that, that part of the system must be oversized by at least 15% over the normal recommended over-dimension of the system.

so I decide to play with the original design a bit. I decided to not take it over the top, due to the fact the vessel must handle ice on deck in winter time. I come up with this. For the color: it's close to the Norwegian color, but it should be a bit lighter and a bit more grey.
[ img ]

note. since the drawing is based partially on note official documentation, I stuck it here.

[Profile] [Quote]
RP1
Post subject: Re: Maximum Fridtjof Nansen classPosted: June 25th, 2014, 4:34 pm
Interesting. Many modern warships have *significant* allowances for growth on both weight and stability, and one would expect these to be similar. I am unsurprised that Navantia did not initially appreciate just how much allowance needs to made for ice - I have some photos from an RN frigate during the 1970's which shows how it really builds up.

One quibble; the speculative ASW weapon does not seem to be on the plan view?

RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Maximum Fridtjof Nansen classPosted: June 25th, 2014, 4:53 pm
I'd expect the Norwegians to leverage something like ASW-601, rather than going through the effort and expense of designing an entirely new system.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Maximum Fridtjof Nansen classPosted: June 25th, 2014, 5:57 pm
erik_t wrote:
I'd expect the Norwegians to leverage something like ASW-601, rather than going through the effort and expense of designing an entirely new system.
Sounds like the cancelled Alecto system to me.
http://books.google.dk/books?id=4S3h8j_ ... tar&f=true

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Maximum Fridtjof Nansen classPosted: June 25th, 2014, 6:02 pm
RP1 wrote:
Interesting. Many modern warships have *significant* allowances for growth on both weight and stability, and one would expect these to be similar. I am unsurprised that Navantia did not initially appreciate just how much allowance needs to made for ice - I have some photos from an RN frigate during the 1970's which shows how it really builds up.

One quibble; the speculative ASW weapon does not seem to be on the plan view?

RP1
ASW weapon: ops.

Ice. The Fridtjof Nansen class are designed to handle 300+ tons of ice on deck, without it effect the ship stability. or to say it the same way as my step dad say. The ship must handle 300 tons of ice, and still be fully operation.

And I remember when my step dad told me about that time they showed those Navanti engineers pictures of an Oslo class snow/iced down. and how choked they was, they had seen anything like that before! :lol:

erik_t wrote:
Perhaps. the system is good, and is an cheep alternative. but the Navy haven't yet gone out with what they want in that section.

But remember that we have Kongsberg in Norway, and the Norwegian government doesn't hesitate giving Kongsberg the task to design a new system, just to give them work. basically we are almost like USA, we like to do things our way. I will not be surprised if Kongsberg design and Terne ASW (have heard about an Terne X, in the Norwegian Navy forum, but that was a couple years ago, and probably ended with the name!) system derivative based on VLS (reload able canister). or something small deck mounted, either in front of the bridge or in front of the funnel.

[Profile] [Quote]
RP1
Post subject: Re: Maximum Fridtjof Nansen classPosted: June 25th, 2014, 6:10 pm
300 tons of ice - about 6 inches if evenly spread. That seems about right (more depth if snow, obvs).

RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
MC Spoilt B'stard
Post subject: Re: Maximum Fridtjof Nansen classPosted: June 25th, 2014, 7:28 pm
Nice upgrade, Why dont u use the newer 127/64 mm? this kinda looks odd on this modern ship.

I know dutch LCF's also have old guns but yeah i prefer new :)

127/64 compact: 37,5 t
127/64 LW (New): 30 t

Save's some weight for other systems you like.

------
Caption signing treaty with England by Johan de Witt

[Working List]
None

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Maximum Fridtjof Nansen classPosted: June 25th, 2014, 7:36 pm
MC Spoilt B'stard wrote:
Nice upgrade, Why dont u use the newer 127/64 mm? this kinda looks odd on this modern ship.

We were cheap bastards, that's why we got second-hand guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Maximum Fridtjof Nansen classPosted: June 25th, 2014, 7:50 pm
hell, we almost bought 2 bofors 120 mountings already in a museum in sweden for the sake of mounting it on the LCF. yep, cheap bastards.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Maximum Fridtjof Nansen classPosted: June 25th, 2014, 8:00 pm
MC Spoilt B'stard wrote:

127/64 compact: 37,5 t
127/64 LW (New): 30 t

Save's some weight for other systems you like.

and updated!

BTW. anyone.

if we remove the wiring from the mast down to the funnel, (what) could we mount something between the superstructure and the funnel?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 6  [ 56 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: