Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: AU ships by SkyderPosted: May 6th, 2016, 7:47 am
It an attractive design and I like the mini-Krivak/Talwar-esque looks.

I have nothing to add to the detailed critiques of citizen and erik and once those items are fixed this will be a much better ship. You might have to lengthen her a bit though perhaps?

Regarding Erik's point about lattice masts, the Soviets do seem to have clung onto them for some time, the Neustrashimyy and Novik still had lattice masts despite their supposed low RCS features. Even the USN was quite late rejecting the lattice mast (Burkes being the first?), in contrast the RN seemed to have ditched them by the early 1960s (County & Leander), though that less to do with RCS I suspect.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Skyder2598
Post subject: Re: AU ships by SkyderPosted: May 6th, 2016, 12:00 pm
@all: thanks for the input ;-)

I reworket the Pr.510:
Pr.510 F100-class
[ img ]
The ship is mainly used for anti ship missions.

-removed the front MR-123
-air search radar on the top of the mast, radar for the Uran in front
-removed backward VLS system
-ECM suit added
-"hangar" for the towed sonar
-main hangar won't fit a helo, more like a UAV hangar (like K-130)
-addad air intakes
-reduced the gun size to 100mm

~~Normerr~~FD stuff~~

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: AU ships by SkyderPosted: May 6th, 2016, 3:30 pm
Hood wrote:
Regarding Erik's point about lattice masts, the Soviets do seem to have clung onto them for some time, the Neustrashimyy and Novik still had lattice masts despite their supposed low RCS features. Even the USN was quite late rejecting the lattice mast (Burkes being the first?), in contrast the RN seemed to have ditched them by the early 1960s (County & Leander), though that less to do with RCS I suspect.
The broader design of RN vessels demonstrate absolutely no interest whatsoever in addressing RCS. Not really until the Type 45 is there any sort of attempt to avoid vertical surfaces or achieve planform alignment.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: AU ships by SkyderPosted: May 7th, 2016, 9:18 am
Type 43 and Type 23 were probably the first to have design elements to reduce RCS to some degree.
Even so, I'm doubtful how much of the sloped panel craze in modern ships is really just fashion rather than any serious attempt at RCS and whether RCS really matters on naval vessels.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: AU ships by SkyderPosted: May 7th, 2016, 9:43 am
Hood wrote:
Type 43 and Type 23 were probably the first to have design elements to reduce RCS to some degree.
Even so, I'm doubtful how much of the sloped panel craze in modern ships is really just fashion rather than any serious attempt at RCS and whether RCS really matters on naval vessels.
If I remember correct on what my step dad said (worked on the Norwegian frigate project): the Norwegian frigate will look in some cases as an small fishing vessel, and in other cases as an small cargo ship, RCS on that scale is hard to do, but not impossible.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: AU ships by SkyderPosted: May 8th, 2016, 1:10 am
Hood wrote:
Well, if you're saying that the Zumwalt hullform probably is not the wave (ha) of the future, I agree. But "craze" and "fashion" are way off-base.

Let's remember that all radar (and sonar, for that matter) techniques are probabilistic things. We live in an EM-noisy environment, and detection is based on the agglomeration of thousands of individual pulses. A low radar signature is not some sort of magic scaling factor that reduces detection range by a factor of X in a universally consistent and repeatable way.

Suppose you've got a MEKO-style inward-outward-inward-outward-creased superstructure. And ships roll, the observer says, and so therefore who cares! But the ship will roll those reflection spikes at a lazy, moderately variable rate. That roll rate will form a convolution with the pulse repetition frequency of the interrogating radar. Maybe the radar will catch a tenth as many pulses as it would from a ship with a lattice mainmast chock full of corner reflectors (which reflect an incident beam from any direction back at its source), and these pulses will come in a relatively chaotic distribution. It will look very much like noise, and for a radar to detect the target anyway, a much higher false alarm rate will result. Or you'll have to use much more complex processing algorithms, which might be too expensive for a ship radar, or too bulky for a missile one.

And, frankly, it's pretty cheap. Just because relatively enclosed, flat-surfaced designs aren't amazing proof against radar detection, putting a mild steel box around your RHIB is not a huge ship impact. It's good return on modest investment.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: AU ships by SkyderPosted: May 8th, 2016, 5:46 pm
Nice looking drawings.

[Profile] [Quote]
zagoreni010
Post subject: Re: AU ships by SkyderPosted: May 13th, 2016, 9:43 pm
Nice ships Skyder, as always, cant wait to see more,

[Profile] [Quote]
Skyder2598
Post subject: Re: AU ships by SkyderPosted: August 28th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Hello all,

after quiet a long time I finished a new soviet/ russian style vessel:

[ img ]

The ship is used for ASW/ ASuW missions, missiles are stored in fold away containers on both sides of the hangar.
I dont fitted radars yet, but I think a similar layout as the Neustrashimyy would fit (since the ship is based on the Neustrashimyy design)?

Hope you like it ;-)

~~Normerr~~FD stuff~~

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: AU ships by SkyderPosted: August 28th, 2016, 10:51 pm
Completely out of my wheelhouse so to speak but that looks great.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: