Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
Hood
Post subject: AU Type 82 DLGPosted: January 10th, 2016, 1:56 pm
Thought I'd share this here, even though this is something that came to my mind during discussions over at Secretprojects.

This is my what-if ideal Type 82 design.
[ img ]

My ramblings began with a basic what-if; move the Sea Dart forward and replace it with a hangar for 3x Sea Kings. Scaling from HMS Tiger showed Bristol's helideck to be almost the same length as Bristol's quarterdeck, a large hangar located at the forecastle break would also fit, flush with the hull sides. From there I began a fresh sheet design, paring back the barest essentials to get a decent air-defence destroyer of modest cost without the flagship extras and relying on helicopters as its ASW element.

Dimensions: 435ft 6in (oa) length; 55ft beam; 21ft draught (over sonar dome), 16ft (hull). Bigger than Type 42 Batch I but smaller than County, Type 82 and 42 Batch III.
Machinery: Two 24,000shp Olympus TM1 giving 48,000shp plus two 3,500shp Proteus 10M for cruising. Two Proteus seems insufficient for cruising, Type 42 with two later 5,340shp Tyne RM1C made 18kts for example. Other ideas are four Tynes coupled if such an arrangement could work with an Olympus on the same shaft. I think Type 82 is just slightly too early for marine Tynes.
Speed: 30kts (deep and clean)
Displacement: 4,500-4,750 tons standard, my ball-park estimate
Armament:
1x2 3in L/70 Mk.8, in this scenario the RN keeps the 3in L/70 and fits it instead of the 4.5in Mk.6 in frigates. I have designed a 'Mk.2' mounting with an unmanned GRP mounting which should be lighter and would incorporate a few changes to boost reliability, not so good for the anti-ship role, but in her role as an air-defence ship they can knock-down incoming aircraft as an inner layer of defence. Control by Type 909 over forward arcs or the two MRS-3 GWS-22 directors aft which should have ok arcs forward and aft for a three-channel control.
2x1 20mm Orkileon
1x2 Sea Dart SAM (38 missiles), fire-control by two Type 909
2x2 Sea Cat 2 SAM (36 missiles), fire-control by two MRS-3. The supersonic Sea Cat development goes ahead in this scenario as a cheap supersonic SAM which uses all the existing elements (launchers, fire-control) of the GWS-22 Sea Cat. Offers a good close-range SAM system to deal with leakers and is backed up by the 3in gun. I'm not totally happy about shipping two of the older MRS-3 but I envision a newer director for the 1970s or even replacement with Confessor.
2x Sea King or Wessex helicopters. My Type 82 is not a general purpose design as such, she is not optimised for anti-submarine warfare to save money for Ikara equipped helicopters. Soviet SSNs and SSGs and SSGNs are the main threat, stand-off missiles can be dealt with by the SAMs and guns. Any ASW weapon needs range and speed, what's better than a large Sea King? Superior to MATCH Wasp and Ikara won't fit this hull anyway. No Limbo, if an SSN is that close then the carrier you're protecting is in big doo-doos anyway. Also, sonar cut back to just the Type 184.
Radars: Electronics as the real Type 82, except one change. An off-shoot of the NIGS programme the New Surveillance Radar, what this was in real-life is still an unknown. In my scenario its the culmination of the ASWE is a single-rotating array 3-D radar equivalent to the SPS-52. Small and lighter than Type 988 and probably more achievable too.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: AU Type 82 DLGPosted: January 10th, 2016, 10:25 pm
Very nice looking ship Hood :!:

Well done matey :D

PLEASE, if your "What if" ramblings are as well drawn and thought out as this, then please post as oft as you like :P

Warm regards,

Andy

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: AU Type 82 DLGPosted: January 10th, 2016, 10:28 pm
It seems like it's a bit more capable than an Iroquois class, but on a bit smaller hull. I wonder if everything would fit.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: AU Type 82 DLGPosted: January 10th, 2016, 10:30 pm
3 helicopter on that hull, will be quit a tight fit...

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: AU Type 82 DLGPosted: January 11th, 2016, 3:19 am
I really want to call this a Type 42 with extra hangers
Nevertheless, great work!

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: AU Type 82 DLGPosted: January 11th, 2016, 4:38 am
I took the three-helos bit to be a typo. Even so, it's a bit smaller than an Iroquois, with a slightly better gun, and a bigger missile fit, a few years earlier, on a few fewer tons. Helo arrangements can be surprisingly variable in weight (and here they are pushed to the stern, which is savings), but I still am a little skeptical.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: AU Type 82 DLGPosted: January 11th, 2016, 9:14 am
It's only two Sea Kings, my first initial thoughts were for three on the basic real Type 82 hull (2 side-by-side and the third between the aft gas exhaust stacks), but that was overkill on the smaller hull I went with.
During the drawing I added about 4ft amidships but trimmed the bows a bit. Remember I went for a realistic trimmed ship, so I don't expect this to be optimal. In the real-world I've no doubt an Admirals barge would be added, extra cabins and so on until it grew by another 25ft or so!

4,500-4,750 tons standard is my ball-park estimate, that's my caveat, could well be the design would top closer to 5,000-5,250tons range and speed would drop to 29kts. Cruise speed is my real headache, those Proteus are too puny. I might just have to hand-wave and have the Marine Tyne a little earlier.

My thoughts are that 8 ships would commission between 1973-79 (roughly 2 per 18 months). Then a Batch II of 8 ships would replace the Counties, though given the later 1970s and early 80s economic situation this might be reduced to 4 ships. I'd envision the Batch IIs would have uprated Olympus and Speys for cruising, probably might mean a longer hull and armament wise looking at some kind of Sea Wolf system. Given the success of Sea Cat 2, it might be slightly different from the real system. Not really sure at this stage.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AU Type 82 DLGPosted: January 11th, 2016, 9:32 am
I happen to wonder if the SPS-01 Broomstick would not have been an good option for these ships? a design like this might also give the option of more commonality between the Tromp and the T82, especially on the powerplant (so I would suggest tyne as well, but you were ahead of me :P)

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: AU Type 82 DLGPosted: January 11th, 2016, 5:13 pm
I like Hoods interpretation of the Type 82 taken forward reminds me that I did a similar project last year based on the Type 82 which with hoods permission and not wanting to be accused of thread jacking would like to post......
[ img ]
I based mine on if the CVA-01 had gone ahead and 6 to 8 type 82's but with some aspects of type 42 integrated, but the Anglo-Dutch broomstick still went down the pan. Although I did a version with that too but can't find the image its on an SD card somewhere and my 3year old daughter has gotten hold of it and I'm currently in the process of tearing the house apart to find along with other items......
My other version also had Goal keeper and the sea dart dropped to deck level....

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: AU Type 82 DLGPosted: January 11th, 2016, 6:46 pm
as for shippy's T82: I do wonder a bit. she seems a bit bow heavy, I am not certain the loader rail from the magazine to the Ikara works like shown here.

you dropped LIMBO and basically replaced it with an larger helicopter, but other then that I don't really see reason to make the ship much bigger, which it on first glance seems to be :P on a bigger ship, things like the type 909 interfering with the bridge level should not be required for the ship to be working, so I think some jiggling around with parts would be required here :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: