Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Scootia23
Post subject: IJN Yuubari with German weaponsPosted: March 8th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Hey folks, just gonna post this "Germanized" IJN Yuubari that I drew. Well not quite, it's a cruiser class I designed for a roleplay called the MNV Righteous Endeavour, a light anti-aircraft cruiser meant to hail from the late 1920s/early 1930s that serves well into the 40s. Since the dimensions turned out extremely close to Yuubari, I decided to draw her based on WhyMe's Yuubari 1944 (a big thanks to the original author).

[ img ]

Total armament is 8x 10.5 Cm twin Dual Prupose guns in four twin mounts, and 48x 20mm anti-aircraft guns in eight quad and four twin mounts. For such a little ship, she packs some serious bite against aircraft!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuubari with German weaponsPosted: March 9th, 2016, 1:59 pm
...ok. so where are the original credits then??? Did you willfully cut them off, and, quite frankly, why did you do that in the first place?

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuubari with German weaponsPosted: March 9th, 2016, 2:09 pm
I think she looks good as a late 30s emergency AA rebuild (like RN CL rebuilds) what about doing a 1920s as ordered with 150mm single guns ? (I just think she is too AA focused for the date otherwise) I would also maybe "Germanized" or change to AU style the bridge etc to get your fleets 'look' that sets yourself apart from IJN ship.

And I would agree with not removing credits once its posted without somebody will keep posting her without them... (and why not add MNV Righteous Endeavour etc to make her look a proper ship its not hard if you use the template letters)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuubari with German weaponsPosted: March 9th, 2016, 3:04 pm
A serious bite against aircraft requires serious gun directors, and right now you are entirely lacking in that department.

[Profile] [Quote]
Scootia23
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuubari with German weaponsPosted: March 9th, 2016, 5:34 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
...ok. so where are the original credits then??? Did you willfully cut them off, and, quite frankly, why did you do that in the first place?
I guess I didn't think that properly notation was required for unnofficial works. I'll update it with credits in the next version!
erik_t wrote:
A serious bite against aircraft requires serious gun directors, and right now you are entirely lacking in that department.
Yeah that is a problem, I'll add some along with a mast rebuild that I'm considering how to undertake (Perhaps going to a more KM or RN style mast)
JSB wrote:
I think she looks good as a late 30s emergency AA rebuild (like RN CL rebuilds) what about doing a 1920s as ordered with 150mm single guns ? (I just think she is too AA focused for the date otherwise) I would also maybe "Germanized" or change to AU style the bridge etc to get your fleets 'look' that sets yourself apart from IJN ship.

And I would agree with not removing credits once its posted without somebody will keep posting her without them... (and why not add MNV Righteous Endeavour etc to make her look a proper ship its not hard if you use the template letters)
Interesting point, the explanation I had in universe was that the navy in question was far too poor to afford aircraft carriers (and the country itself had a very shoddy air force so they can't count on them to help), so they pioneered the idea of dedicated anti-aircraft ships much earlier than other navies. Though admittedly the quad 20mm guns everywhere are intended to be a late 30s refit because from what I've seen most AA of the late 20s/early 30s was high angle guns and MGs.

I'll be sure to update with all the little notations to make her look right!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuubari with German weaponsPosted: March 9th, 2016, 9:54 pm
I don't know about unofficial work, as you put it, but the hard truth is that, once you post it, it's official, so, in other words, use and abuse (oh, please don't!!!) drawings by other artists, but keep proper crediting. Now, every now and then we CAN forget it (adding it etc) but that was not the case here, obviously...

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuubari with German weaponsPosted: March 9th, 2016, 10:22 pm
A minor point to think about. You have fitted 4 twin 4.1" turrets, why do you still need the flash shields? That is extra topweight being carried for nothing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Scootia23
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuubari with German weaponsPosted: March 9th, 2016, 11:49 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
A minor point to think about. You have fitted 4 twin 4.1" turrets, why do you still need the flash shields? That is extra topweight being carried for nothing.
Forgive my ignorance but what are the flash shields and what do they do?

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuubari with German weaponsPosted: March 10th, 2016, 5:09 am
The curved up piece between each pair of turrets forward and aft. With open backed gun mountings, the shields stop the 'flash' from the gun burning, incapacitating the forward gun crew. When you have turrets, that piece of equipment is no longer required. The turrets have their own flash protector built in.

[Profile] [Quote]
Scootia23
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuubari with German weaponsPosted: March 10th, 2016, 6:04 am
I've taken all the input here into consideration and made modifications to the drawing, and given proper crediting and naming on the drawing. Here's the second pass at her ladies and gents.

[ img ]

The bridge has been completely overhauled and stylized after Leipzig, and AA rangefingers and ttwo air radars (one active and one passive) have been added for proper detection and tracking. At this point I feel she shares nearly nothing with Yuubari and is merely an extremely German-esque ship that happens to have the same hull dimensions. Even then thanks to the clipper bow the length dimension is not the same. I still enjoy how it has progressed and turned out so far.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: