Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 5  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Keisser
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuganakaze Class DestroyerPosted: July 19th, 2016, 1:00 pm
TristanAlting wrote:
What would prevent this destroyer from capsizing? Making it wider?
Also adding more trim and increasing metacentric height.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuganakaze Class DestroyerPosted: July 19th, 2016, 1:25 pm
Meaning? I'm not very well versed at naval terminology.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuganakaze Class DestroyerPosted: July 19th, 2016, 2:37 pm
The most simple solution would be ditching one of the gun turrets, reducing the armament to 8x2 127mm guns, that's what a few of the 1930s USN Destroyer leader had (Porter and Somers classes), other than obviously the Japanese Akizuki class. The only ships that mounted more of such guns were AA cruisers, which were susually some 30m longer than the ship you have. Increasing beam too much would praobably leave you with a ship too slow tho act as a satisfactory Destroyer

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuganakaze Class DestroyerPosted: July 19th, 2016, 2:50 pm
I created this destroyer with the sole intent of adding more main battery firepower. Taking away a turret would just make this an Akizuki destroyer with an extra torpedo launcher.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuganakaze Class DestroyerPosted: July 19th, 2016, 5:03 pm
keep in mind that by adding more firepower, you have to take away something else. ships are a tradeoff, if you place more on the hull you have less space in the hull, meaning less machinery, living space, magazine space etc, or modifications to the hull for more space, displacement, stability etc. for that reason, this ship will, looking at the above comments, not work.

@ Keisser: trim is a result from center of gravity (dependent on the position of the weights of and on the ship) compared to center of bouyancy (dependent on the position of the water displaced by the ship) and has very little to do with stability, other then that both of those are a factor in stability as well. metacentric height is an measurement of stability and is dependent on the height of the center of gravity, the height of the center of bouyancy and the shape and volume of the hull, of which in turn width of the ship is an factor.
both of these terms are results from modifiers on the ships design, and can not be modified directly, so this just sounds like you throwing 'expensive' words instead of anything useful.

to make the ship more stable, you could lower the center of gravity, increase the waterline moment of inertia (fastest way to do so is making the ship wider), lower the volume of the hull while keeping the same waterline and heighten the center of bouyancy.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuganakaze Class DestroyerPosted: July 19th, 2016, 7:43 pm
TristanAlting wrote:
I have two questions regarding Japanese ships:

1. What would prevent this destroyer from capsizing? Making it wider?

2. How come cruisers and battleships have different gun houses for the same weapons as destroyers?
1. All has been said, so to sum it up, you lose some weight high up, such as one or more gun mountings, maybe a torpedo tubes launcher, and cut some of the superstructure. You may also make the ship wider, but it has the main drawback of cutting some speed. You also may add ballast, that is more weight deep down in the ship to lower the center of gravity, or metacentric height.
2. This question is easier. Cruisers and heavier units had more armor, also on the the gun houses, which may result in a different mounting. It is also true for the American single and twin 5"/38 mountings, each type had a different mark number.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuganakaze Class DestroyerPosted: July 19th, 2016, 7:48 pm
Alright thanks

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuganakaze Class DestroyerPosted: July 20th, 2016, 12:44 am
The mountings also depends on what kind of space you have available for magazines. A full turret pretty much has to sit on top of the magazine since the elevators has to come up through the barbette. Open mountings has significantly more flexibility since they can use ready magazines and other fun stuff. This of course has its own drawbacks since a ready magazine in the superstructure can only be so large before it becomes too big an explosion hazard which reduces the amount of ammunition available at any one time. Open mountings are also much more vulnerable to enemy fire. On the other hand they tend to be lighter.
Everything is a tradeoff

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuganakaze Class DestroyerPosted: July 20th, 2016, 3:18 pm
Where can I find the part sheet with Japanese whaleboats and motor boats?

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: IJN Yuganakaze Class DestroyerPosted: July 20th, 2016, 3:26 pm
There is no offical one -yet- for boats, equipment and fire control stuff. I'm currently working on it as I did for the weapons sheet. It's a long tedious task since IJN fire-control equipment was quite comlicated and hardly standardized like it was for USN.
Anyway, this is the file as it currently sits on my HD, avoid everything marked in red and you'll be 99% safe.
LINK

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 5  [ 45 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: