Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Ashley
Post subject: something weirdPosted: February 10th, 2011, 11:05 am
Up to the early 1920 there were considerations to convert the latest pre-dreadnoughts into land-ironclads. The ships were nearly new but however obsolete. The first attempt were giant wheels, after the success of tanks, tracks were discussed. No, this no joke!
Of course it never came to a serious project.
[ img ]
Has a touch of steampunk, hasn't it?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: something weirdPosted: February 10th, 2011, 11:28 am
I am so going to need a source on that.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: something weirdPosted: February 10th, 2011, 1:37 pm
Thiel wrote:
It was from an early popular science mag. I once found a pic of the article at inet, but couldn't find it again. Look for an US-pre-dreadnought on four giant wheels crawling through a devastated landscape. The article looked serious.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: something weirdPosted: February 10th, 2011, 2:38 pm
Ashley wrote:
Thiel wrote:
It was from an early popular science mag. I once found a pic of the article at inet, but couldn't find it again. Look for an US-pre-dreadnought on four giant wheels crawling through a devastated landscape. The article looked serious.
Really?

Well if you use this as a source that explains why you use napkinwaffe in your AU.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: something weirdPosted: February 10th, 2011, 4:52 pm
I have also found an solar powered zeppelin aircraft carrier from the 30's on the cover of such an magazine........ reliable? :D :P ?????

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: something weirdPosted: February 10th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Yea I know those magzines those are Great. One of them was pretty good for the HMS Habbakuk! Great drawing Ashley!

[Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: something weirdPosted: February 10th, 2011, 5:53 pm
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: something weirdPosted: February 10th, 2011, 6:01 pm
PopSci was, and still is, tending towards the outright loopy. It's basically the National Enquirer counterpart of PopMech (which is quite National Enquirer-ish to begin with).

Plus, that's not the latest pre-dreadnought you've got there - in fact with exception of Maine and Texas you've got one of the earliest examples! You'd be using either a Connecticut or Mississippi class there, which were fine pre-dreadnoughts, potentially better than the Russian or French last-examples and possibly equal or better than the British King Edward VII or Swiftsure class - but unfortunately they're not drawn yet. You could go for an Indiana, which is in the Shipbucket, but truth be told by the middle of WWI (total duration, not from the perspective of our participation) all pre-dreads weren't just obsolete, but they were truly old. But just to throw it in there, by 1920 the South Carolina class was ancient too (really, it was just an all-big-gun Connecticut with two extra turrets - which may sound like I'm stating the obvious, but HMS Dreadnought didn't just introduce a new armament concept but new internal machinery and armor technology that truly made the ship revolutionary and perhaps most importantly, significantly faster than pre-dreadnought ships, yes 3 knots is significant) and it might be seen as a candidate for this whacky conversion too.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: something weirdPosted: February 10th, 2011, 6:07 pm
Well, the best way to treat this stuff is to simply ignore it: eventually the member posting it will appreciate that they are wasting their time :|

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: something weirdPosted: February 10th, 2011, 6:23 pm
You know what two words stop this thing cold?

Ground Pressure.
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
Well, the best way to treat this stuff is to simply ignore it: eventually the member posting it will appreciate that they are wasting their time :|
I've tried with other people but it doesn't work, and some things like this need to be actively stopped.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: