Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55) Reboot IIPosted: September 24th, 2017, 8:35 am
Colosseum wrote: *
Cool stuff, but for some reason the Navy Blue on the last drawing is different than the Navy Blue on its predecessor. ;)
Oops :roll: . . . I thought measure 22 used ocean blue . . . I stand corrected . . . I'll fix it this afternoon. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55) Reboot IIPosted: September 24th, 2017, 6:18 pm
reytuerto wrote: *
Impressive piece of work, David! The main battery is huge!

Yes they are 18 inch guns, that I am beginning to believe were replaced by 16 inch three gun turrets around 1944 since New Hampshire was the only 18 inch battleship in the fleet. This would simplify logistics of ammunition production immensely.

[Profile] [Quote]
Mist
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55) Reboot IIPosted: September 25th, 2017, 7:51 am
Manufacturing new 18 inch shells would be easier and quicker then designing and manufacturing new 16 inch triple turrets

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55) Reboot IIPosted: September 25th, 2017, 8:24 am
Mist wrote: *
Manufacturing new 18 inch shells would be easier and quicker then designing and manufacturing new 16 inch triple turrets
Ah but here is the kicker, the turrets were already designed in 1937 and used on USS North Carolina (BB-55). ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55) Reboot IIPosted: September 25th, 2017, 10:51 am
How much main gun ammunition are you really going to use post 1944? I very much doubt its worth the cost of new turrets and guns.....

Anyway love the ships and the detail going into them.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55) Reboot IIPosted: September 25th, 2017, 7:56 pm
JSB wrote: *
How much main gun ammunition are you really going to use post 1944? I very much doubt its worth the cost of new turrets and guns.....

Anyway love the ships and the detail going into them.
It would most likely have happened ca 1941, so quite a bit.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55) Reboot IIPosted: September 25th, 2017, 9:55 pm
David Latuch wrote: *
JSB wrote: *
It would most likely have happened ca 1941, so quite a bit.
Even in 41, how many expensive AP shells did the USN actually use I would think only a few full outfits per ships v cheaper HE or even cheaper training rounds?
I would also be very interested in what a shell costs v the mount and guns?

From Navweps Iowa's mounts cost "$1,400,000 each, not including the cost of the guns themselves."

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55) Reboot IIPosted: September 27th, 2017, 8:10 am
Having another look at New Hampshire, 18in barrels are one line thicker than other 18in guns, I would say they are 20in or more. Also noticed that B and C turret has a dark line running the full length at the top of the barbette but A and D turrets are different. Glad to see the crane has been fixed.

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55) Reboot IIPosted: September 27th, 2017, 11:56 am
erik_t wrote: *
IMHO, by 1943 a more likely (and definitely more achievable) secondary armament refit would replace the 6/47 triples with 5/38 twins, and replace the eight 5/25 open mounts with six to eight (not sure amidships) single 5/38 pedestal mounts, probably Mk 12. This would mean you wouldn't need to rip up O-2 for 5/38 handling rooms (which would instead replace the newly opened trunks of the 6/47), you could mostly re-use the 5/25 ammo handling I suspect, and you'd have the awe-inspiring total of 11-12 5/38 barrels on either beam. You'd also recover a lot of stability margin; I'm a little bit skeptical that the current refit would work without bulging. Not nearly as awesome for surface warfare, but by 1943 I think the 5/38 would win out.

Of course, it's your design ;)

(you have a slight copy-paste error on the top view, one of the 40mm tubs above the aftermost starboard 6/47)
Okay, here is USS New Hampshire (BB-55) re-gunned with 16"/45 Mark 6 used on both the North Carolina (BB-55) and South Dakota (BB-57) classes. I have also replaced the 6 inch three gun turrets with 5 inch/38s.

[ img ]

Last edited by David Latuch on September 27th, 2017, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: USS New Hampshire (BB-55) Reboot IIPosted: September 27th, 2017, 12:56 pm
The best version of New Hampshire! 24 of arguabily the best DP gun of the war and 12 guns in line with your other BB. Nice and powerful! Cheers!

PS: What will happen with the 18 inch guns? Coast defence guns?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: