Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Blackwood frigate export modification (Real R/C model)Posted: October 12th, 2017, 7:13 pm
I know the penetration of Bofors mortar.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Blackwood frigate export modification (Real R/C model)Posted: October 13th, 2017, 8:19 am
Would fitting a 3in L70 be worth it?
Even fitting it to some Dido cruisers post-war was considered a waste as they didn't have enough magazine capacity. With a rapid-firing twin mount yours going to soon exhaust whatever tiny magazine you can squeeze in aft.

I do like the look of the Type 15 style bridge though.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
NickD
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Blackwood frigate export modification (Real R/C model)Posted: October 13th, 2017, 12:09 pm
Interesting point, I didn't thought about this! Normally I am a fan of Mk6, but I am not convinced it is good choice for Type 14 refit. How about if we "borrow" one MK33 L/50 mount from HMS Victorious instead? I'm out of alternatives, maybe second Seacat, STAAG or 4.5in Mk V like on Tribals? I already skipped 57mm M50 Bofors in favor of its lighter french copy and DAGR not entered the production...

[Profile] [Quote]
NickD
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Blackwood frigate export modification (Real R/C model)Posted: October 13th, 2017, 2:43 pm
Well, all versions in one, incl.CODOG refit. Version (8) still needs replacement of radars/electronics.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Blackwood frigate export modification (Real R/C model)Posted: October 13th, 2017, 3:02 pm
I think Squid, with its above-deck sideways reloading, would be a very poor choice for a bow mount on a small vessel.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Blackwood frigate export modification (Real R/C model)Posted: October 13th, 2017, 6:59 pm
All together, export Type 14. Well done!

Squid could not fitted, agree with erik_t.

Could I use dual Bofors ASWRL and T47 torpedo tubes from this thread, please?

[Profile] [Quote]
NickD
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Blackwood frigate export modification (Real R/C model)Posted: October 13th, 2017, 8:46 pm
Sure, with pleasure!

I will remove the Squid, this is not a place for it. The situation there is even worse than on first look, because the deck there is sloped, and mounting pedestal is actually raised and levelled roof of the underdeck room, too narrow, maybe the half of the deck width.
Theoretically Squid can be put on rotating plate,and can be rotated 180 deg to be loaded from the door in the front of superstructure (like an ASROC loading mechanism). But this is only on theory - too exotic, heavy, tricky, slow and clumsy. Effectivity - only a morale boost at this time period :)

Last edited by NickD on October 13th, 2017, 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Blackwood frigate export modification (Real R/C model)Posted: October 13th, 2017, 8:55 pm
Thanks a lot!

And for my AU Iraq I will use the last one with the dual Bofors ASRL.

[Profile] [Quote]
NickD
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Blackwood frigate export modification (Real R/C model)Posted: October 13th, 2017, 9:02 pm
Feel free to do it. Maybe I will make an update of electronic systems and radars later, as in 1972+ current are already outdated.

[Profile] [Quote]
NickD
Post subject: Re: Type 14 Blackwood frigate export modification (Real R/C model)Posted: October 19th, 2017, 12:52 pm
Well, my package arrived at last!
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

I think I already decided how to kitbash the model:
[ img ]
This will need a limited changes and additions, and it keeps its British origin as much as possible.
Still need to find close pictures/blueprints to AWS-1 radar, "Britanized" version of Mk.33 Gun (used on HMS Victorious aircraft carrier), and trainable bidder torpedo tubes (mounted on half of original type 14's)
Good i found CRBFD model at 1/96 scale i can incorporate directly to the model!

Last edited by NickD on October 19th, 2017, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 38 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: