Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: German Interwar Cruiser AUPosted: March 25th, 2018, 11:06 am
I have moved the torpedo a bit aft, hopefully to a better location. Yes, the disgn looks a bit out of time, but that was teh intention: Overall, it was a step backwards and in the wrong direction, which is why it remained a paper design wasn't built.

WKD1/1032
The role and armament of armoured - or 'heavy' - cruisers was not only debated among the assembled politicians in Washington, but also among the naval designers in the respective countries. While design 1031 had returned to the older 240mm guns of the late 19th century, other designers wanted to retain the 210mm guns of later designs (re-using spare guns from SMS Blücher was one reason). Design 1032 was very similar to the preceeding 1031, changing the main armament to the lighter guns, thus saving a bit of weight for a bit of speed.
[ img ]

WKD1/1033
This design had a strong resemblance to the Austro-Hungarian late-war design Projekt VII (which itself was taking shape at Fiume as the new Bulgarian flagship Sofia). A lean design, 1033 featured three centerline-mounted 210mm twin turrets, four 88mm Flak and two twin 600mm torpedo tubes.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: German Interwar Cruiser AUPosted: March 25th, 2018, 1:52 pm
DG_Alpha wrote: *
which itself was taking shape at Fiume as the new Bulgarian flagship Sofia
Never heard about a bulgarian cruiser being built (or designed) in austro-hungaria. i would be glad to learn more about this.........

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: German Interwar Cruiser AUPosted: March 25th, 2018, 6:15 pm
waritem wrote: *
Never heard about a bulgarian cruiser being built (or designed) in austro-hungaria. i would be glad to learn more about this.........
Um, well.... there wasn't. The cruiser Projekt VII is real, but was designed in 1917/1918 for Austro-Hungarian Navy, one ship was included in the naval budget for 1918-1920. Of course, it wasn't built. In this 'timeline', with the central powers victorious, A-H doesn't outright collapse, but looks inwards to reform and adapt. Naval projects and expansion therefore have no place. Also with Russia gone from the Black Sea, a lot of smaller powers look to become the dominant force in that area, one of them Bulgaria. They go shopping for ships and A-H sells them Projekt VII, also to stimulate their own economy.

Projekt VII
[ img ]
Displacement: 10000t, max. 12000t
Lenght: 184,5m
Width: 18,2m
Draft: 6,45m
Weapons:
3x2x190mm Artillery
4x1x90mm Flak
2x1x533mm underwater tubes

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: German Interwar Cruiser AUPosted: March 25th, 2018, 7:47 pm
I know this austro-hungarian design.
[ img ]
But i thought you were talking about a real project to sell this design to the bulgarian navy.
So i guess you are planning to draw this ship..............................

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: German Interwar Cruiser AUPosted: March 26th, 2018, 8:41 am
Very nice additions, these are good looking designs. They all perhaps some design flaws, casemated secondaries still and the midships 210mm which has sacrificed some firing arcs, but they do look pretty reasonable for the timeframe.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: