Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 
acelanceloet
Post subject: DXN DDN-963: what a nuclear powered Spruance would be like.Posted: December 16th, 2017, 7:09 pm
Again, a bit of a crazy what-if by me. Not out of the realms of possibility, but not something ever considered, due to the limits of available money...... so this one I keep out of the project DX thread.
The Virginia class DLG was a ship often designated as DXGN, a nuclear powered DXG destroyer. The DXG destroyer would have a lot in common with the DX, what would become the Spruance class. The idea of the DX was even that it could be updated to DXG weapon and sensor systems, if required. (See project DX for more information on this)

So, alternatively, you could say that the DX weapon systems and abilities would fit on the DXG hull with ease.... so how about DXGN? The result of me trying to answer that question is below :P
[ img ]
[ img ]
Unlike on the virginia class, where the helicopter facilities were added relatively late in the design, I started out with Spruance-like helicopter facilities, inspired by the ones on CGN-42. The superstructure position and part of the mast arrangement was defined by the need to be able to refuel the D2G reactors, so while this superstructure is all new drawn, it has the same position on the hull as the original. The result is, in my opinion, an excellent warship that would be worth the investment.

I wonder if this ship is politically possible to build for a navy though. Apart from the question of enough funding, nuclear warships were often set to higher requirements thanks to their large size and high costs. The wish to put more on such a platform often increased the cost and size again, leading to an ever increasing spiral. The Spruances were criticized to look underweaponed and to be too expensive for their task and armaments. While this was later taken back after their performance was proving the critics wrong, these DXN's would probably get a lot more critics to worry about, even if their construction would be approved.

I will be looking into an full DXGN conversion, but unlike the Litton DX design we all know as the Spruance this ship would not get to keep it's full helicopter facilities if an aft Mk 26 mod 1 would be fitted. We know from the issues with the CGN-38 class that an Aegis version is not possible unless the hull is enlarged, so I will leave that one alone.

Well, I'm curious about your thoughts on this design and it's possibilities, let's hear it :P

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: DXN DDN-963: what a nuclear powered Spruance would be like.Posted: December 16th, 2017, 9:08 pm
All-around excellent. I think you're exactly right on the political unlikeliness of such a ship, and you've outfitted things in a very thoughtful manner.

My only real criticism is that a modernization would absolutely have to ship ABLs somewhere, somehow. I'm not sure quite where.

I think the modernization (and maybe the original?) should have SPS-49 rather than SPS-40. The modernization should definitely have TAS Mk 23 rather than SPS-65, IMHO.

The arrangement of SPQ-9 and SPG-60 is unlikely and unfavorable, IMHO. There's no surface fire coverage aft, and (more concerning) no AA GFCS for the only AA-capable mount on the refit. I think I'd put SPG-60 on a larger platform above the SPS-65.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: DXN DDN-963: what a nuclear powered Spruance would be like.Posted: December 16th, 2017, 9:37 pm
The modernisation plan follows the 'modernisation' plans for the real spruances as build, for them to be updated. Instead, IRL, they got ABL's and VLS in real life, but similarly, they kept the same SPS-40. In this, it mirrors http://cizadlo.us/JScholtens/Public/Pro ... sation.png

btw, unless I have done something very wrong, they already have Mk 23 TAS above the hangar :P

While I agree with you that the arrangement of the Mk 86 fire control system directors is not ideal, it is close to the exact arrangement the Virginia had. In addition, except for the somewhat fatter, more blocking mast, it is the same arrangement the DD-963's had, so I decided to keep it, but the aft arc is covered by an optical director high up in the mast above the hangar, similar to IIRC how it is done in the Spruances.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: DXN DDN-963: what a nuclear powered Spruance would be like.Posted: December 17th, 2017, 11:12 am
I like it, it looks more than plausible and you've kept in realistic too, although as you state in your backstory text, the armament is pretty light for the expense of a nuclear-powered ship.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs”

Jump to: