Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
nighthunter
Post subject: USA, Spokane class Scout CruiserPosted: March 20th, 2018, 8:13 pm
Using Karle's Pensacola class CA, I went to a larger single stack, remade the Omaha's Mk. 16 6"/53 caliber twin turrets, and added Mk. 14 torpedo launchers.

[img]

(No longer relevant. See New Post.)

Last edited by nighthunter on March 22nd, 2018, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA, Spokane class Light CruiserPosted: March 20th, 2018, 9:42 pm
Interesting. Definitely pretty under-armed for its displacement I'd say.

An internal diagram of where things are would really help. Does this ship have a hangar? How are the boiler uptakes trunked?

The stern near the props makes no sense to me (I suspect this is remnant of the old "flutes" on the Northampton drawings that were used for the base). Check the recent drawing I've done of CA-30 Houston for the proper way to show this area.

Almost all the parts used here have been refreshed and should be replaced. The torpedo tubes jump out immediately but this also applies to the secondaries, catapults, cranes, etc.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: USA, Spokane class Light CruiserPosted: March 21st, 2018, 12:28 am
Thanks for the critique, I appreciate it, Colo. It's been forever since I've worked on this scale. I actually used pictures to draw the new Mark 16 6"/53's.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: USA, Spokane class Light CruiserPosted: March 21st, 2018, 9:22 am
Its an interesting design, certainly the light cruiser the USN never had, or showed any interest in.
It probably is a bit bigger than it needs to be given its basis on a Pensacola, but it looks a capable light cruiser for the era.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: USA, Spokane class Scout CruiserPosted: March 22nd, 2018, 5:33 pm
Here's the revamped version, decided to label it as a scout cruiser (Yes, they were a thing in the USN, but short lived)

Spokane class Scout Cruiser:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: USA, Spokane class Scout CruiserPosted: March 22nd, 2018, 8:12 pm
It looks really cool! Well done

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: USA, Spokane class Scout CruiserPosted: March 23rd, 2018, 7:13 am
I would ditch the center turret - it would really impact into your engineering spaces. Swap it out for another couple of AA guns.

The 1.1" pianos are a bit early (Produced-1938–1942), the 0.5" machine guns were the auto cannons for the period of your ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: USA, Spokane class Scout CruiserPosted: March 23rd, 2018, 12:08 pm
Thanks for the input Krakatoa, I'll make adjustments. As to the center turret, many vessels had that style of set up that allowed for it, why not this one?

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: USA, Spokane class Scout CruiserPosted: March 23rd, 2018, 2:11 pm
[ img ]

Last edited by nighthunter on March 23rd, 2018, 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: USA, Spokane class Scout CruiserPosted: March 23rd, 2018, 3:02 pm
nighthunter wrote: *
Thanks for the input Krakatoa, I'll make adjustments. As to the center turret, many vessels had that style of set up that allowed for it, why not this one?
To my knowledge, no fast battleship ever shipped a center turret. A cruiser has much more serious power demands than a pokey 21-knot 1915 battleship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: