Welcome to the next challenge. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to design a 1970s, early 80s era warship armed with the Typhon series of missiles:
The Typhon LR
, a long-range ramjet missile, and the medium-range Typhon MR
, a Standard Missile sized weapon.
These missiles were originally coupled with the AN/SPG-59 radar system
, and would have provided near AEGIS-like capability to the USN. The radar came in two sets, a 3400 element type radar for destroyer sized ships, and a 10000 element array for cruiser sized ships.
These systems were power hungry enough that nuclear power was pretty much needed to feed them. Studies mentioned power demands of ten megawatts. Even for nuke ships this was a big load.
The idea as ultimately envisioned was that the AN/SPG-59 would be on standby, and a long-range 2d radar would provide eary warning, at which point the AN/SPG-59 would be activated, allowing for 3d tracking and missile guidance.
The AN/SPG-59 radar system was ultimately cancelled due to mounting technical difficulties and cost overruns.
Now, the challenge is to ARM your ship with the Typhon missile system. The AN/SPG-59 is optional
. Remember that you pretty much have to build a nuke ship, especially if you're using the larger array. The smaller array might be powered by a set of dedicated generators... But you'll still need to provide room for those sets.
In theory a good long-range 3D radar and enough illuminators should be able to allow your ship to at least use the Typhon missiles for their intended purpose, which was long-range air defense and saturation-attack defense.
The Typhon LR was envisioned to be fired from the Mk 10 GMLS
, and the Typhon MR from the Mk 13 GMLS
Take the below-deck size of these launchers into account when building your ship!
A nice folder filled to the brim with more information (Courtesy of erik_t):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1e4lrp ... Gdyhmv3b3v
Now, as said, this is a 1970s era ship. All equipment other than the radar systems (You're free to think up a plausible
radar system for the ship!) should be period compliant.
This challenge will run until friday the 21th of december, so don't rush yourselves.
Drawings will be judged on 3 categories, with 10 points available in each category, for a total of 30 available points:
- Adherence to SB style - does your drawing follow the SB style rules as defined in the Style Guide?
- Drawing quality - how well-executed is your drawing?
- Design realism/feasibility - is your design realistic? Does it make sense given the parameters we have defined?
- One entry per person.
- Multiple versions of your entry are allowed, provided they show the same ship's evolution over time.
- Multiple views of your drawing are encouraged but not required.
- Text blocks with stats, history, etc are allowed but not required.
- No Springsharp. If a ship is obviously unrealistic this will be reflected in it's score in the judging categories.
- Posts that are off topic in this thread will be deleted.
I will need a few judges for this competition. If you're interested, please let me know. Obviously only for non-participating members, and people who haven't judged in the previous Cold War DD Challenge.