Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 8  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »
Kannevets
Post subject: Re: Typhon Warship ChallengePosted: December 20th, 2018, 10:51 pm
Alright, a last-minute submission, thanks to a number of external factors, but here's my submission.
She's a big dumb guided missile cruiser, statblock and textblock in the image.

[ img ]

All my newer stuff is signed as czslworldtour.

Last edited by Kannevets on December 21st, 2018, 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Typhon Warship ChallengePosted: December 21st, 2018, 12:31 am
Agh, fine, windows modified

But I draw the line at the atomic neon blue we used to use.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Typhon Warship ChallengePosted: December 21st, 2018, 9:23 am
Neon blue is hopefully being put to sleep peacefully... with the post box red hulls and that hideous propeller thing!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
LtMaverick114
Post subject: Re: Typhon Warship ChallengePosted: December 21st, 2018, 11:54 am
Looks great guys! I'm affraid I can't submit my drawing since I don't have the time to finish it.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Typhon Warship ChallengePosted: December 21st, 2018, 11:57 am
LtMaverick114 wrote: *
Looks great guys! I'm affraid I can't submit my drawing since I don't have the time to finish it.
At least post what you did have? And take the time to finish it, otherwise it's all wasted effort.

[Profile] [Quote]
LtMaverick114
Post subject: Re: Typhon Warship ChallengePosted: December 21st, 2018, 2:02 pm
MihoshiK wrote: *
LtMaverick114 wrote: *
At least post what you did have? And take the time to finish it, otherwise it's all wasted effort.
This is what I came up with, a DDG for the US Navy. The class is named after USMC Gunnery Sergeant John Basilone, who received both the Medal of Honor and Navy Cross.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Typhon Warship ChallengePosted: December 21st, 2018, 3:49 pm
With the ordering of the first 2 Typhon armed ships, the California class DLGN fitted with the AN/SPG-59, the new Typhon missile system was officially going to enter service in the USN. The complexity and cost of these ships however, was known to be considerable even in the early design stage. Not in the least this was because of the SPG-59 radar. The fact was, not enough Typhon cruisers and frigates were going to be build to fully exploit Typhons abilities in the fleet. The plan was that Typhon could be used by existing ships too, but without a refit this would offer next to no advantage over Terrier and Tartar. So, a second Typhon ship type was required by the USN. This ship would have to be considerably cheaper then the new California class design, which meant the new ship could not be nuclear. The ship would have to use existing or modified existing systems as much as possible, so it could be designed fast to enter service at the same time as the California class.
[ img ]

The ships were successful, but the system was not as capable as the SPG-59. This was not an real issue, as the ships were always meant to be an cheaper alternative, between 75% and 95% effectivity compared to the SPG-59 fitted ships (depending on conditions) was acceptable as the repeat ships costs were only 70% of that of the SPG-59 fitted DLGN's. 8 were build, of which the second series of 4 had their aft gun traded in for an small helicopter hangar, to give the ship more multirole capabilities. The first ship was commissioned in 1973, followed by two ships a year until the 8 were completed in 1977.

The DDG-47 had a length of 167.6m, a beam of 18.6m and a draft of 5.8m. The light ship displacement was 6600 ton and the ship was 8933 tons full load. The ship had an top speed of 30 knots and a range of 7500nm at 20 knots. She had a complement of 25 officers and 346 enlisted.

For more information and specifications: http://shipbucket.com/wiki/index.php/Typhon_DDG_47

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Typhon Warship ChallengePosted: December 21st, 2018, 4:52 pm
I really like the split COGLAG approach. A sensible and well-thought-out design, although retaining anything like SPS-33 might be considered dubious!

SPW-2 along with advanced dish illuminators seems like it's probably not necessary. Perhaps you could use them to "fly out" some missiles on midcourse while another set is in terminal TVM guidance, so you could keep more than four missiles in the air.

I tried to do a little research on this, but I came up empty -- do you know when Masker entered service? I decided to omit it on the grounds that it might be a little late for my drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Typhon Warship ChallengePosted: December 21st, 2018, 5:04 pm
That was exactly why I fitted the SPW-2, similar to how it seems to have been proposed for the Scheme 59 ships (SPW-2 was not listed especially, but after a bit of research on Talos development I found out it would not be unlikely to have been kept into this development)

SPS-33B in this system was used as it is the one fixed array 3D targeting radar in existence at that point, except for the SPG-59 itself maybe. To get near SPS-59 capabilities, I wanted near constant tracking to allow accurate prioritising of the targets for efficient and effective missile use. Note that this is build after the long beach gets her updated, more reliable electronics. Even with all that in mind, yes, the SPS-33B is the first system that I would expect to be replaced in a refit of these ships, by something like SPY-1 maybe? :P

As far as I know, Masker entered service together with the gas turbine powered warships, as it used bleed air from the turbines. This was IIRC actually one of the arguments made for the gas turbine propulsion on the DX. I would have to look up if that was the first installation though....

Glad you like it!

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Typhon Warship ChallengePosted: December 21st, 2018, 6:00 pm
The Knox class (at least) had Masker, so it didn't strictly require gas turbines. That said, as I recall the compressors to run it were said to be some of the most unreliable machinery aboard the steam frigates.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 8  [ 75 posts ]  Return to “Drawing Challenges” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »

Jump to: