Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
erik_t
Post subject: Re: CGN-36 'TyBeach' - final versionPosted: January 4th, 2019, 10:54 pm
Good enough for me! Updated.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: CGN-36 'TyBeach' - final versionPosted: January 30th, 2019, 6:23 pm
"Final" is always such an aspirational notion :lol: :lol: and it's too damn cold in the midwest to go to work

I've made some tweaks, mostly revolving around the receiving elements of the SPG-59. I was never totally satisfied with the arrangements that forced me into. I've gone with four receiving elements instead, which allows simple transverse yardarms. I've gotten a little less paranoid about radiation dangers from SPG-59, and the top of the pilothouse is now better utilized for signal and lookout duties.

Other super minor tweaks involve the VHF and UHF comms, the AN/SMQ-6 weather satellite receivers (now P&S atop the UNREP kingposts), OE-82 aft (and atop the pilothouse), and likely some other minor stuff.

One major change I'm considering is a relocation of the helo pad and hangar, the former where the hangar now sits, and the latter to be underneath the huge HF discage antenna mast. This would perhaps improve the center of mass location (something I've tried to be careful about, as this is a nuclear boat). The aft Mk 10 rammer could be the usual length, not an extra-long version, and overall topweight should be reduced. On the other hand, it would reduce precious internal volume, and it requires drawing effort :lol:

(deprecated)

Last edited by erik_t on February 16th, 2019, 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: CGN-36 'TyBeach' - final versionPosted: February 10th, 2019, 10:06 pm
I'll just keep chatting with myself :)

(deprecated)

The big change, obviously, is more above-decks volume amidships. Because it's probably needed, and everything is volume-critical all the time. The guying of the HF megamast is improved. UNREP amidships is improved, and we've traded sort of one-off UHF weather satellite receivers for SSC-3 satcom antennas (underneath the midships radomes). I'm still showing UHF FLTSATCOM transceivers, even though these didn't enter service until the mid 1970s.

I keep fighting off the urge to transplant the upperworks onto an Alaska hull (probably with Oto 5"/54 on the beams and a Mk 26 fore and aft), but I'm afraid sometimes I feel this urge weakening.

As an aside, I think this is my favorite Shipbucket work of mine in my decade-plus of drawing. I wish SPG-59 wasn't such an operational tire fire!

Last edited by erik_t on February 16th, 2019, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: CGN-36 'TyBeach' - final versionPosted: February 10th, 2019, 10:15 pm
All your works are always a delight to see, as it is reading all the research work you put behind them.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: CGN-36 'TyBeach' - final versionPosted: February 11th, 2019, 9:10 am
With each round of tinkering this looks better and better.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: CGN-36 'TyBeach' - final versionPosted: February 11th, 2019, 12:48 pm
By looking on these drawings I learn something new. But heck I keep wonder how the center of balance was on this ships (of course the have heavy powerplant).... I get Japanese Pagoda feelings

Last edited by heuhen on February 12th, 2019, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: CGN-36 'TyBeach' - final versionPosted: February 12th, 2019, 2:14 pm
Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen. When I first started drawing in this style back in the late 2000s, I didn't find myself digging up 1960s IEEE antenna mast design manuals and the like, but I think the drawings are stronger for it.

And I let me tell myself that by making this actual research work with actual learning behind it, I can justify spending a few hours a week on it, forever :laughing:

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: CGN-36 'TyBeach' - final versionPosted: February 16th, 2019, 5:48 pm
Well, SPG-59 is nice, or whatever. Even though I'm sure it would be an absolute madhouse in service.

[ img ]
full-size

But if it did make it into service, then C-band track-via-missile must have gone into USN service. After SPG-59 crapped the bed, you know what else is C-band TVM, and actually works? Patriot!

I'm almost certain that if Typhon had gone into fleet use, MPQ-53 (SPQ-53 ;)) would have followed.

These arrays are 1.5x by area, but MPQ-53 ought to scale quite nicely both in array dimension and in power. You could also run it all the time, in contrast to SPG-59! We keep a SPS-49 for excellent long-range search, but in operation this is much more like a Tico than a TyBeach. In other news, a rubber sonar window, Hawklink (but before SH-60 appears on the drawing ;)), and Tomahawk. Phalanx replaces the backup dish missile directors. I thought about the 8" MCLWG, but decided against it. It's my universe and you're all living in it!

Of course, we could more dramatically refigure the new superstructure, but at some point cutting metal is expensive, dramatic, and affects weight and balance. I decided to keep most of the top-hat.

[ img ]
full-size

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: CGN-36 'TyBeach' - final versionPosted: February 16th, 2019, 6:06 pm
Patriot :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: CGN-36 'TyBeach' - final versionPosted: February 17th, 2019, 11:10 am
Looks like a capable upgrade.
Does your SPQ-53 have adequate fire-control channels to serve all five SAM launchers. I guess ditching the secondary FC radars makes sense though to save weight.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: