Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 14  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 814 »
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Postwar Gun Cruiser challengePosted: February 16th, 2019, 5:27 pm
eswube wrote: *
@Erik_t, MihoshiK
Gentlemen, I don't want to spoil Your fun, but technically speaking Heuhen didn't made any entries yet, and that drawing above is made by Thegrumpykestrel. :twisted:
(And yes, this ship does look good)
...How the heck did I get Heuhen's name into my head on that one? Corrected, and my apologies to thegrumpykestrel.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Postwar Gun Cruiser challengePosted: February 16th, 2019, 5:29 pm
I think you're safe :)
Quote:
Huehen's Admiral Kruz design served as a large dose of inspiration for the decision to use macks

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Postwar Gun Cruiser challengePosted: February 16th, 2019, 6:05 pm
well I can throw something together..

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Postwar Gun Cruiser challengePosted: February 16th, 2019, 7:16 pm
This is what I have done in a short notice...:
https://i.imgur.com/nfhUOO5.png

I don't know if I manage to get it done, due to my lack of creativity at the moment, but I'll try!

[Profile] [Quote]
Kannevets
Post subject: Re: Postwar Gun Cruiser challengePosted: February 16th, 2019, 7:47 pm
[ img ]

A Counter To The Silence: HMNES Arbalest
Laid down in 1943 to lead destroyer squadrons, the four sisters of the Artemis class were standard, if heavy, 4.7" gun cruisers. Weighing in at 8,100t as designed, they faced numerous delays, mostly due to production being focused more and more on capital assets like carriers and battleships. By 1945, they had only minimal superstructure work done. Various design plans were drawn up as to what would be done with them, and it was decided that two of the ships, Artemis and Avalanche, would be completed as guided missile cruisers, and their hulls held in reserve until those systems were developed. Arquebus would ultimately end up as a training ship, fitted with all manner of armaments and electronics to train crew in their use. The final sister, Arbalest, was to be completed as an entirely new breed of cruiser, to deal with lessons learned in World War Two. Submarine wolfpacks had been a major thorn in the Allied side, and passive convoy protection proved to be a stopgap measure. Designed as a form of counter-raider, Arbalest's redesign fitted her with all-new, watercooled 4" guns to protect her from air and surface threats. She carried powerful new sonar and a new type of ASW rocket, which was larger than previous devices, and carrying a torpedo as a warhead. Armed with these new tools, she would be tasked with leading smaller vessels into submarine-infested waters, and seeking them out in a manner previously rendered impossible. Thus, convoys to Europe or elsewhere in the world could sail with a greater sense of safety than previously experienced. The Admiralty elected to keep her designation as a cruiser, as her size and cost meant she was not as expendable as the destroyers who would fill her role after her retirement in 1975.

All my newer stuff is signed as czslworldtour.

Last edited by Kannevets on February 17th, 2019, 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Postwar Gun Cruiser challengePosted: February 17th, 2019, 11:15 am
1953 seems a very early to be fitting Kevlar armour given DuPont didn't start research work until 1965 and the first application was for tires.
Other than that the design looks ok.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Cascadia
Post subject: Re: Postwar Gun Cruiser challengePosted: February 17th, 2019, 12:31 pm
Is that a Mi-1 with an Alouette tail?

[Profile] [Quote]
Kannevets
Post subject: Re: Postwar Gun Cruiser challengePosted: February 17th, 2019, 2:58 pm
Cascadia wrote: *
Is that a Mi-1 with an Alouette tail?
That would happen to be almost exactly what it is. :lol:

All my newer stuff is signed as czslworldtour.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Postwar Gun Cruiser challengePosted: February 21st, 2019, 2:58 am
Good evening, gentlemen.
Here is my candidate: Light cruiser Robert Dux Normanniae (Robert Duke of Normandy).
[ img ]

In the late interwar years, the backbone of the fleet was a pair of modern battleships, and two modernized ones, two heavy and four light cruisers. Feeling that more muscle was needed, the Admiralty selected the Crown Colony design, which were built locally but with weapons, machinery and optics shiped from Britain. Only two were completed during the war, the other pair was laid down, but was not launched until the early 1950s and finally completed using swedish and dutch equipment. Both ships were wired as flagships, and also had additional acomodation for the flag staff.

In comission: December 1955.

Displacement: 8,600 t standard; 10,700 t full war load
Length: 169.3m
Beam: 19.0 m
Draught: 5.1 m

Propulsion:
4 Foster Wheeler boilers 650 psi
4 Parsons geared steam turbines
4 shafts
Installed power: 80,000 shp
Speed: 31.5 knots
Range: 7,500 nm at 15 kn

Complement: 718 + 30 (as flagships)

Armour
Belt: 115 mm
Bulkheads: 64 mm
Magazines: 25 - 115 mm
Barbettes: 25 – 50 mm
Turret face: 50 mm
Turret sides: 25 mm
Deck over Machinery 30 - 50 mm

Armament:
9 × Bofors 152 /53 mm Model 1942 (3 triple turrets)
8 × 57 /60 mm Model 1950 (4 twin turrets)
7 x 40 /70 mm Model 1948 (7 singles)
1 x 103 mm Lichtrakerwerper

Sensors:
Air search radar: HSA LW-02
Height finder radar: VI-01
Surfacer search radar: ZW-01
Navegation radar: Type 1047
Main director: RT C1
Fire control: RT LA 02 (57 mm)
RT G1, RT F1 (40 mm)
Sonar: Type 174

[ img ]

In early 1977 the vessels entered in a 2 year MLU, which was ended in March 1979. The stern turret was disposed, instead the destroyer got a BPDMS and a large helipad with hangar for 3 Agusta built Sea Kings. More important, the cruisers offensive power was greatly increased with a battery of 16 Harpoons (quite impressive for the era). And the defense against incoming missiles was improved with 4 Vulcan Phallanx and Corvus chaff dispensers in addition of the Sea Sparrow missiles. Almost all the sensors were changed: The director was changed with a WM-22 egg, the air search radar was a brand new LW-08, the surface search radar was also changed for a ZW-06, a Stir 180 fire control radar was placed over the roof of the hangar. The communications was enhanced with satelital aerials much needed in its flagship role. The sonar remained the same, but a Nixie antitorpedo gear was mounted. The pair was paid off in 2007.

Credits: Thanks to Ace! His aid for the feasibility of my cruiser (in my own words, "when Grau II meets Grau III") was very important since the inception of this drawing. The basic hull was of a Crown Colony cruiser by Portsmouth Bill, and with parts of Ace´s De Ruyter (Grau III) and Ian´s american vessels. Thanks to all.

PS: Correction on the shade and other details already done! Thanks, Mihoshik!

Last edited by reytuerto on February 26th, 2019, 11:13 pm, edited 12 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Postwar Gun Cruiser challengePosted: February 21st, 2019, 2:58 am
[ img ]

PS: Well, at least, showing the cruiser and his crest in one post, and the flags in another, the images are not resized by the host. My appologies :oops: .

Last edited by reytuerto on February 23rd, 2019, 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 14  [ 132 posts ]  Return to “Drawing Challenges” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 814 »

Jump to: