After the HNoMS Helge Ingstad incident, there was an suggestion that modifying the design of Jan Mayen class coast guard design in to a "light" version of an frigate with of course some modification to the design.
I went a little further on my idea. In the Project 6615 Coast Guard vessel we have:
- a large ship 136 meter long and 20 meter wide
- a heavier hull due to it's size and what it is designed for.
- Better load capacity, compared to a ship that is designed as an "war"-ship, aka. frigate etc.
- bigger internal volume, due to its size.
with this I did some "small" changes:
- Kept the basic hull design, except angeling the surface, where needed.
- kept the basic superstructure design, med rearranged the decks (above water-line)
- moved the helicopter deck and hangar more aft, and enclosed the deck under, so it could be a protected cargo/flex deck
- new funnel arrangement, due to change of engine room layout.
- adjustment to the armament
- adding of a simple soanar
- removing of bow and stern thrusters, and replacing them with retractable pods.
Displacement: 10000 tons (coast guard version: 9800 tons)
Length: total 137,8 meter (1.8 meter longer than original design, water length is the same)
Beam: 20 meter
draft: without sonar: 6 meter
Powerplant: Standard Jet, Diesel and electric drive (the classic hybrid!)
Speed: 22-25 knots+- (coast guard version is all diesel with a different engine layouts: 22 knots)
Complement: 100, accommodations for 200
equipment short list:
Smart s mk2
Unnamed radar and sensors inside the mast with unspecified capability
Reutech RSR 210N air/sea surveillance radar
Sagem Vigy 20 Electro Optical Director
Kongsberg MSI 2005F ASW combat system
2 × Mark 82 fire-control radar
1 x 76 Oto Melara super rapid or 1 x 57 mm Bofors Mk3
1 x 57 mm bofors Mk3 or 1 x 76 Oto Melara super rapid
1 Mk 48 Mod 3 for ESSM
- aft deck and superstructure
1 x 40 mm or 1 x 57 mm Bofors Mk3
1 or 2 x 8 cell Mk 41 VLS fro ESSM and RIM-66 (possibly RIM-156/161, if Norway was to carry such) (mounted Starboard and Port)
2 x 4 cell launcher for NSM
2 x twin torpedo launcher for Stingray
Hangar for 2 helicopters, helicopter pad can handle heavy helicopter
Now where do you think a got some of the inspiration from and I would say it is rivaling it quit good. It would a least dwarf Fridtjof Nansen class.
Drawing shown with all three possible variant of guns, that could be mounted, this configuration is unlikely: