This drawing is looking pretty nice.... but I have some problems with the design.
adjustment I will happily do
- First of all, I see no problem with the boats in the cutouts on the sponsons, this has been done often on many ships of similar size
just my experience, so I just wanted to be out before the "haters"-comments
- Where are the vtol jets?
I didn't add them on, but I can do. there aren't so many to choose from, but for this type of vessel Harrier are probably the best alternative.
- The air intakes for the gas turbines are arranged a bit weird and seem to be too large
it's not only gas turbine intake... but I can remove those on the funnel, and just add a cooling duck for the funnel it self. the air, intake is mostly for crew, I can reduce that in size.
- What year are we talking? you have refurbished versions of Mk 48 Mod 3, which IIRC was ready for deployment in about 1997 (it was never really build, replaced by the Mk 56 VLS which was basically the Mk 48 mod 3 with ESSM canisters and software), which suggests an 2010+ year, while the 57mm guns you have fitted would be about 60 years old by then.......
that 56mm isn't them same as Bofors 56mm, but same design idea. But I have a more modern looking version that I can use instead. So easy fix.
Mk48-56 isn't my knowledge area. suggestion on other launcher I can use for AAW. (most of the parts on the ship is taking from other ships that are taken out of service/mothballed), or shall I just be simple and go for a SDLS basic module Mk-41 VLS for NSSM/ESSM, and then just add in a small crane next to it as a reloading at sea... or should I just add an larger service/loading crane on the back of the sponson, for various task.
- The arrestor wires on the CTOL version are very much not in the right spot, you might get issues with aircraft slamming into the stern. Also, no landing guidance equipment at all? what exactly are you planning to land on that short deck? skyhawks or something?
I have a double, one far aft, and one on center as a last resort, but seeing videos on the internet on what they are doing when missing.... i'll change it around to 5 at rear.
The main task in that area is to be a secondary landing place for normal carrier jets, when there are no other option, it's nice to have a different alternativ, then ditching in the sea.
- The STIR 1.2 is even newer then 2010 IIRC, and you refurbished it? so this entire ship is future tech?
I'll delete some text....
- Most of (95%) your inflatable liferafts are forwards of midship, while 60-70% of the crew (in my estimation) will be aft?
shall move them around a little
- Why does the Mk 48 have foldable railings next to it?
I don't really know, perhaps because I had something different drawn in there and didn't think about changing the railings.
- I am not certain that propeller is really suitable to a gas turbine powered ship.
not perfect, but I tried go fore something around a medium to high speed pitch-changing propeller. But I can do a copy and... from a different vessel you think have a better propeller.
- The arrangement of the zinc anodes on the stern and rudder does not really follow their realistic placement.
I had a sink anode on my ruder... but then it's was the only metal thing in the water... except the propeller and other things...
- You have quite a lot of landing boats for a ship that has no amphibious role except for hospital ship. Would this not be better served by just a few boats and the ability to store more in the hangar if needed? right now they cost a lot of volume and are probably rarely used.
I'll changing it around to having only three landing boats on starboard side and two work/landing boats on both side, with how many island Caledonia consist of, every landing boats it's nice to have. But for that we do have more specialized vessel
If you have suggestion on parts that would fit in to the taken from older vessel (retired/mothballed/etc.) and been either refurbished/modernized or overhauled