Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
Scootia23
Post subject: Re-remake: Cancelled Colorado-class USS Washington BB-48 CV ConversionPosted: April 11th, 2020, 5:50 pm
It's been three years since I went and posted my version of an interesting carrier conversion I saw- the cancelled battleship USS Washington, (of the Colorado class and not Solomon islands fame), converted to a CV, some nebulous amount of time after work had begun on the Lexington class. The original drawing used a cut and paste of the Yorktown's superstructure, which bothered me as clearly, by the time the Yorktown's are in service the window for conversion of this ship has long closed. So I went and made a new version whose purpose was to imitate the more contemporary Lexingtons as closely as possible.

For a while that was it, but recently I began work on drawing one of the USN's pre-Lexington carrier studies, which will get it's own thread soon enough. But it also taught me a lot about USN carrier building at the time, and about carrier drawing in general. And coming back to the improved Washington conversion, I realized there was a lot that was still wrong with it. It also occurred to me that being a remake of a kitbash of two different artists drawings, both of which by now are throroughly obsolete, which mean the style both had some odd choices and some...interesting conflicts, in terms of how shape was represented, shading, details. So I came back to it with three years of improvement in my skills and all that I'd learned about carriers, to bring you this high-effort monstrosity.

[ img ]

In addition to huge sweeping improvements in the style, like the hull shading, the wealth of small details in the gun bays and on the hangar sides, I also materially improved things like shortening the funnel, reworking the bow and stern shape to be more realistic to contemporary designs, and added contours for hull bulges. I think now I've produced the most high quality, realistic portrayal of a Colorado class carrier conversion to date, an achievement of dubious honor since it's far from the best hull for a carrier conversion out there and certainly not one of the most exciting historical what-ifs. But if you're going to do something, do it right.

Edit: Nearly forgot to mention the more era-appropriate Martin T3Ms and the additional draft from ballast and bulges.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Re-remake: Cancelled Colorado-class USS Washington BB-48 CV ConversionPosted: April 11th, 2020, 8:54 pm
Interesting design!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Re-remake: Cancelled Colorado-class USS Washington BB-48 CV ConversionPosted: April 12th, 2020, 11:35 am
Very nic job.

[Profile] [Quote]
shipsinker
Post subject: Re: Re-remake: Cancelled Colorado-class USS Washington BB-48 CV ConversionPosted: April 12th, 2020, 10:23 pm
A great top view would be awesome

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Re-remake: Cancelled Colorado-class USS Washington BB-48 CV ConversionPosted: April 13th, 2020, 9:38 am
Interesting, looks quite top heavy and 'dumpy' but I guess that is due to the relatively stubby battleship hull. Certainly an interesting what-if concept though.
I would if an open bow would have been more likely? The flare needed to convert the original hull lines forward to the width of the flight deck would be considerable.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Re-remake: Cancelled Colorado-class USS Washington BB-48 CV ConversionPosted: April 13th, 2020, 5:21 pm
An interesting design exploration. You could certainly reduce the size of the funnel; BB-49 had only 1/3 the shaft horsepower of Lexington and Saratoga, and presumably would only need about 1/3 of the uptake area.

[Profile] [Quote]
Scootia23
Post subject: Re: Re-remake: Cancelled Colorado-class USS Washington BB-48 CV ConversionPosted: April 17th, 2020, 6:15 pm
shipsinker wrote: *
A great top view would be awesome
I will consider it. Something about halfway between Ranger and Lexington's deck arrangements, I think is likely.
Hood wrote: *
Interesting, looks quite top heavy and 'dumpy' but I guess that is due to the relatively stubby battleship hull. Certainly an interesting what-if concept though.
I would if an open bow would have been more likely? The flare needed to convert the original hull lines forward to the width of the flight deck would be considerable.
It looks like that, yes, but it's length to beam ratio is quite a bit fatter and more inherently stable than most CV hulls. And it has bulges, you can see the contours for them just below the belt, to aid in stability. As for the bow and stern contours, they are pretty extreme on Lex too, and I don't see why it'd be particularly different in that regard here. That being said there's always something I might have missed, so I am open to suggestions.
erik_t wrote: *
An interesting design exploration. You could certainly reduce the size of the funnel; BB-49 had only 1/3 the shaft horsepower of Lexington and Saratoga, and presumably would only need about 1/3 of the uptake area.
I'm not so sure, the length and height of this ship's funnel are 1/2 of the one on Lexington, but that's 1/4 the surface area, and 1/8 the volume if we assume a corresponding reduction in width as well. Am I missing something here?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs”

Jump to: