Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Question about SPY-3Posted: May 27th, 2011, 3:06 am
I know that SPY-3 is designed to replace a number of systems (I know some of those could be retained for backup but that's getting off track here) employed on ships.

What are the systems that the SPY-3 is designed to or can replace? I'm putting SPY-3 on a design and would like to know what I can delete, so drawings would be HIGHLY appreciated for reference. Thanks in advance.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Question about SPY-3Posted: May 27th, 2011, 3:33 am
SPY-3/4 was going to replace a lot of the radars on the Zumwalts and the CG(N)Xs. When CG(N)X fell through the AMDR got picked as the radar for the Flight 3 Burkes.

For SPY-3/4* you'll still want navigation and weather radars, and a few other odds and ends, but IIRC it should functionally take the place of the SPY-1s, SPQ-9s, SPS-49s and SPG-62s on the Ticos (not literally on the Ticos, but those rolls on a ship that replaces the Ticos).

*SPY-3 is the Multi-function Radar while SPY-4 is the Volume search radar

I myself would add something like the CEAFAR/MWVR (found in the USN parts thread) as a backup to the SPY-3/4 combo for things like navigation, weather, and surface search. I'd also use this sheet as a guide for small phased array antennas: [ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: Question about SPY-3Posted: May 27th, 2011, 5:39 am
Your reply was actually helpful in a few unexpected ways, in the line of flexibility of what systems can be present if SPY-3 is introduced. I was unaware that there was an SPY-4, and I will have to put that on the ships where I placed SPY-3 (not that hard of a task, but it annoys me when I have to go through all of my ships to replace a minor detail).

What I'm currently doing is using GLACIESFIRE's Makin Island drawing as the basis for an LHDN I am creating for my NS AU. Aside from eliminating all traces of stacks and radiator grates (LHDN), I am going to completely replace the superstructure with one that is cleaner and more modern-looking. Learning from past experience (I recently ended up having to completely revamp a CVN island after I tried to kitbash it back in my earlier days when I didn't really know what I was doing; even to this day I am still learning what does what, goes where, and what it looks like in real life), I decided it best to move the old superstructure to another paint window, create the new one, and then harvest necessary systems from the old one to place them on the new one.

However, I am introducing SPY-3 to the LHDN, so I was looking to find what systems to keep and which ones I should 86.

Also, I saw you referred to the SPY-3/4 radars on Zumwalts in the past tense ("was going"), but I have not heard anything of the cancellation of either the SPY-3/4 or the Zumwalts (although I know the CGX was binned). I'd appreciate an elaboration.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Question about SPY-3Posted: May 27th, 2011, 12:31 pm
Wikipedia & Universe wrote:
Also, I saw you referred to the SPY-3/4 radars on Zumwalts in the past tense ("was going"), but I have not heard anything of the cancellation of either the SPY-3/4 or the Zumwalts (although I know the CGX was binned). I'd appreciate an elaboration.
Personal semantics. SPY-3/4 and the Zumwalts are going into service. I wouldn't be surprised if they spend a lot of their lives as test ships.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Question about SPY-3Posted: May 29th, 2011, 4:19 pm
I think the drawing Timothy posted is a little out of scale. I did some careful scaling work and ended up with something a bit different. I'll post it this evening (CDT).

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Question about SPY-3Posted: May 29th, 2011, 4:30 pm
erik_t wrote:
I think the drawing Timothy posted is a little out of scale. I did some careful scaling work and ended up with something a bit different. I'll post it this evening (CDT).
I believe those SPY-3 and VSR are from the old parts sheet, I had some work done on those on my radar sheet thingie..... look if we find the same dimensions ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Question about SPY-3Posted: May 29th, 2011, 5:59 pm
erik_t wrote:
/Looks at file source/
<Facepalm>

Oh yeah - those are way out of scale. That was the resizing someone did for an AU.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Question about SPY-3Posted: May 29th, 2011, 8:36 pm
They're not awful, a pixel or two apiece as I recall.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Question about SPY-3Posted: May 30th, 2011, 1:02 am
This is the best I can determine.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Raven
Post subject: Re: Question about SPY-3Posted: May 30th, 2011, 6:23 am
I was under the impression that the SPY-2 was the volume search radar, while the SPY-3 (based off of the Lockheed High Power Discriminator) was the targeting/ illumination radar.

By This Sign You Will Conquer

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to β€œParts Sheets Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: