Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
David Latuch
Post subject: Are these parts two versions of the Mk19?Posted: June 27th, 2014, 4:45 pm
I've been puzzling over these two drawings . . . what are they, two versions of the Mk19?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Are these parts two versions of the Mk19?Posted: June 28th, 2014, 12:10 am
Use the one from the Nevada. It is of the correct shape and size.

http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/ ... 9Director/

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Are these parts two versions of the Mk19?Posted: June 28th, 2014, 1:18 am
Here's mine along side a good photo:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Are these parts two versions of the Mk19?Posted: June 28th, 2014, 1:39 am
That should only be used for latewar versions.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Are these parts two versions of the Mk19?Posted: June 28th, 2014, 1:51 am
As someone who knows little of these things might I ask "why"? Is it disign or date in serives dates?

Last edited by David Latuch on June 28th, 2014, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Are these parts two versions of the Mk19?Posted: June 28th, 2014, 1:58 am
Figure out what marks, mods, etc existed for this relatively common gun director. Figure out what modifications may have happened to it during its wartime service. Did it receive radar at some point? If yes, specify what kind, and if it isn't drawn - look through the Catalogue of Electronic Equipment to find it and draw it. Draw the radar's side, front, and plan views. Find the specific antenna designation in the Antenna Catalog and note it alongside your drawing.

Draw the side, front, and plan views (if possible) of the director itself. Identify any specific mark and mod for the optical rangefinder inside it. If the optical rangefinder changed over time, figure out the variants and include that. Identify any specific mark and mod for the director shield itself - if this changed, make a drawing for each.

Simple stuff guys. The old battleships are pretty well documented so you should be able to find all this if you apply yourself. You've all used my stuff (over which I spend countless hours researching) many times over, so now you get to return the favor!

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Are these parts two versions of the Mk19?Posted: June 28th, 2014, 12:32 pm
It says in the link I gave you that the late war versions had plexiglass, instead of solid metal viewports that open. Also of note, is that the late war versions had extra viewing ports added to the front corners. The image of the Mk 19 from the Salt Lake City says the radar is a Mk 4 or Mk 12. So they did indeed have radar, at least on some of the heavy cruisers.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Are these parts two versions of the Mk19?Posted: June 28th, 2014, 6:24 pm
Karle94 wrote:
It says in the link I gave you that the late war versions had plexiglass, instead of solid metal viewports that open. Also of note, is that the late war versions had extra viewing ports added to the front corners. The image of the Mk 19 from the Salt Lake City says the radar is a Mk 4 or Mk 12. So they did indeed have radar, at least on some of the heavy cruisers.
Good catch Karle,

I was too intent on the plexi-glass windows on the Penn's mk-19. I'm not sure if it's not a feature idiosyncratic to the Pennsylvania.

I surfed the net last night and only came up with the same photos as your link, but st different sites but no new ones.

The articles I skimmed never mentioned the inclusion of radar, but thanks to you we now know that at least the Salt Lake City had radars at some point. It's too bad the photos aren't dated.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Are these parts two versions of the Mk19?Posted: June 28th, 2014, 7:05 pm
The Salt Lake City image with the radar is dated 1943.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Are these parts two versions of the Mk19?Posted: June 28th, 2014, 7:44 pm
Then at some point between the two photos Salt Lake City received the radars.

At the moment I drawing the Mk-19 with and without windows, and each with the Mk-4 and/or the Mk-12 FC radars.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Return to “Parts Sheets Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: