Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
KinG
Post subject: idea for an area vessel launched cluster bombPosted: December 8th, 2014, 6:04 pm
this is my idea for a vesel launched cluster bomb loaded into a medium range rocket
[ img ]
its pretended to be used aganist fleets, ground targets buildings, to damagne it not to destroy it, using the blast wave

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: idea for an area vessel launched cluster bombPosted: December 8th, 2014, 7:23 pm
And the first to things that came to mind were WW2 beach landings and fighting off hords of galleys back in antiquity. :twisted:

For modern warfare...why? It might be of use against local guerrillas when the Marines hit a beach. Beyond that use regular aircraft dropped cluster bomb. Save the ship volume for something else.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: idea for an area vessel launched cluster bombPosted: December 8th, 2014, 8:10 pm
For the same reason the USN navy has tried getting NLOS, POLAR and a whole slew of other ship launched ground attack munitions into service and why they built the USS Carronade back in the day. Outside of 5in range the USN, or any other navy for that matter, doesn't have anything suitable to attacking troop formations without calling in an airstrike which might not always be available at short enough notice, not to mention all those navies that don't have access to them at all.
Also, I suspect modern anti tank cluster bombs would do "unpleasant" things to a thin skinned destroyer.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: idea for an area vessel launched cluster bombPosted: December 8th, 2014, 8:36 pm
to expand a bit on Thiel's post above, they would certainly impact the systems and disable most radars, which would give interesting results as well........ that said, fleet formations are too wide to hit multiple ships at once but with the correct guidance, I can assume this weapon might be worthwile. that said, if that guidance systems drives up the cost or the impact on the launchers size.... then we are back were we started.

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: idea for an area vessel launched cluster bombPosted: December 8th, 2014, 8:40 pm
For anti shipping, aren't there affordable off the shelf missiles available to small navies that would do the job? Just asking...modern munitions aren't my area and this looks like a chance to learn some basics.

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: idea for an area vessel launched cluster bombPosted: December 8th, 2014, 9:00 pm
Cluster munitions wouldn't be my go to tool for anti ship strikes either, but you know, any harbour in a storm. They are however probably the best tool in the box for attacking soft ground targets and troop formations. Of course cluster munitions are a big political no-no these days due to their nasty tendency to leave a lot of duds around for kids to pick up and get blown to bits by.
For anti ship strikes I'd go with one of the available low flying cruise missiles with a substantial unitary SAP-HE warhead. They're a lot more expensive than unguided rockets, but they're also harder to defend against and a lot more likely to actually hit the intended target.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: idea for an area vessel launched cluster bombPosted: December 8th, 2014, 9:26 pm
In modern warfare i cant see were this weapon would be of use.

modern surface warfare tends to be spread over larger areas the best attack to take out or neutralise a task force is probably a saturation attack using probably cheaper and more abundant surface and air launched harpoon or equivalent missiles....

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Parts Sheets Discussion”

Jump to: