Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
TakasugiEisaku
Post subject: Does Anyone Recognize ThisPosted: February 12th, 2024, 2:32 pm
[ img ]

this is fascinating is it practical

note: i may make this one day using the standard fuso as a basis with the 1920s nagato pagoda modified

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Does Anyone Recognize ThisPosted: February 12th, 2024, 5:34 pm
TakasugiEisaku wrote: *
is it practical
Completely impratical.
[ img ]

The barbette for a twin 409mm turret has a larger diameter than that of Fuso's 356mm ones. That would require the barbettes for turrets 1,2 and 3 to be removed and the internal structure gutted to get the extra space needed to fit the new barbettes.
The funnel sits above the former N°4 barbette, which implies boiler room spaces has ben modified and somewhat moved aft by replacing the aforementioned barbette (more gutting of the internal structure).
Last but not least both N° 5 and 6 turrets and barbettes would have been removed to be replaced by a single turret sitting inbetween. this not only requires even larger modifications and internal gutting of 1,2 and 3 but for some reasons the new turret is a triple, which means an even larger barbette is needed. Japan also did not manufacture any triple 409mm turrets, which means that, at best, just four wold be procured (if we stretch out things and assume Fuso, Yamashiro, Ise and Hyuga somehow all getting this treatment). This notwithstanding fitting the much wider 409mm barbette is even possible aft, for example Ise and Hyuga, which were very much Fuso half-sisters had very cramped afts.
Removing the original forward tripod for a Nagato-esque heptapodal (7-legged) mast seems also needlessly complex.

The only thing that is perfectly fine to me is the aft superstructure (too bad the funnel placed so aft makes very cumbersome to use the boat boom).

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
TakasugiEisaku
Post subject: Re: Does Anyone Recognize ThisPosted: February 13th, 2024, 3:46 am
i think it may be possible if the ship's beam to width ratio is increased to 34 meters and entire deck and innards completly reconstructed the two twin mount 41cm will have nagato's barbette's while the two triple mount 41cm will have a new barbette fabricated for it and the length o\a will be increased to 222 meters to accommodate the change's and reallocate the armor in some places to level the ship and extra topedo buldges will be added to stabalize the ship to prevent it turning over as it may get heavy to around the 35,000 tonne mark (not us tons as it may seem to light as i use metric tonnage) and improved engines to take it to 25 or 27 knots

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Does Anyone Recognize ThisPosted: February 13th, 2024, 5:02 pm
Huh?

* A ratio is dimensionless, so increasing it to 34 meters means something went very wrong.
* Fitting new barbettes means rebuilding the entire section of the ship. As the midship section is among the ones that needed to be rebuild, that means rebuilding everything between the 2 superstructures, including machinery spaces, to fit that barbette.
* change the length OA. How? is the ship magically stretched? or are you adding a rebuild bow and stern to the rebuild midship section?
* increased torpedo bulges might even decrease stability as the center of bouyancy is lowered, so those are not an adequate counter to an raised center of gravity. It is however a good counter to an increased weight, and can help with stability if they increase bean om the waterline as well.
* Improved engines means rebuilding even more of the ship.

So in short, what you are saying is: it is possible to rebuild the ship to this configuration if nothing of the original ship is left?

[Profile] [Quote]
TakasugiEisaku
Post subject: Re: Does Anyone Recognize ThisPosted: February 13th, 2024, 7:26 pm
well i find the layout fascinating as it may be a possible modernization around the late 1930s as the information of how it will work and what rebuilding will be done to make it work is not made public yet or trapped in a japanese website waiting to be translated

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]  Return to “Sources and Reference Drawings”

Jump to: