Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Arleigh-Burke Flight IIIPosted: May 5th, 2011, 2:43 pm
don't all carriers look the same from enterprise onward (and even those have the basic layout of for example the forrestal). aren't the spruance, kitt and tico all based on the same hull? I get what you are saying, but it can be done easily, and it is always cheaper to use the experience and basic design you already have....

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Arleigh-Burke Flight IIIPosted: May 5th, 2011, 3:23 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
aren't the spruance, kitt and tico all based on the same hull? I get what you are saying, but it can be done easily, and it is always cheaper to use the experience and basic design you already have....
The Spruance DD were built with some "weight growth margin"...
But the Tico, with AEGIS superstructure, have consumed this margin. As a result, the TICO suffered from "hull-crack" and "serious top weight concerns".

For this, it is very probable that the TICO class was even much more vulnerable than the Spruance again a torpedo hit...

Usually not a very good idea to push a hull to its upper "limit's" :?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Arleigh-Burke Flight IIIPosted: May 5th, 2011, 3:28 pm
true. but would an flight III burke near those limits as well? possibly, but seeing that even the tico's are in use now, I think that using the same BASIC design would work. they would be all new ships (as timothyc said) but only BASED on the original burkes. there is always an difference between 'what is possible', 'what do they need' and 'what does the state pay for' XD

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “Sources and Reference Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: