Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
sailor82
Post subject: Canadian Iroquois (Tribal) class DDH question ...Posted: June 15th, 2011, 11:20 am
While enjoying Bezobrazov's great work on the Iroquois class DDH, I was thinking about the earlier 1960's proposed class of destroyers. My understanding is that this was a planned class of eight hulls. As the Iroquois class is a direct derivative of this earlier design, how many hulls were originally planned? Has anybody posted drawings of this planned class?

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Canadian Iroquois (Tribal) class DDH question ...Posted: June 15th, 2011, 6:49 pm
As far as I know the eight hull were dropped in number to four, and were intended as AAW vessels with Tartar AA missiles. After the initial success with operating the big Sea King helicopter from HMS Fraser and others it was decided to built them as helicopter carrying destroyers, those depicted by the excellent effort of Bezobrazov, and Miho and others. The original concept was discussed at some length, in this or the old forum, including images and IIRC it was Portsmouth Bill's intention to make it.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Canadian Iroquois (Tribal) class DDH question ...Posted: June 16th, 2011, 8:13 am
Yes, I spent fruitless hours last night in the cellars, searching for my references, and couldn't find them; still I did enjoy dusting off some long forgotten projects still waiting to see the light of day. But I've just looked again on one of my sticks and there they were:

[ img ]

[ img ]

I would expect that the Oto 127mm gun would be used, or a comparable US mount; but as yet I haven't had achance to rework this so its free if you want to take it on.

BTW, moved to Sources and Reference drawings as where this should be :)

[Profile] [Quote]
sailor82
Post subject: Re: Canadian Iroquois (Tribal) class DDH question ...Posted: June 16th, 2011, 10:37 am
Thanks Portsmouth Bill!

... and Yes! I would like to take this project on.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Canadian Iroquois (Tribal) class DDH question ...Posted: June 16th, 2011, 10:42 am
hmm.... this ship looks like it has quite a lot in common with the dutch tromp class.... same time era, same weapons (more or less), same role (I assume?)

what I am wondering about.... what is that spherical radar on the concept art? and what is that small sphere underneath it?.... anybody has more intel on these? I am curious now :D

I can't wait to see what you can do with this one, sailor ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
sailor82
Post subject: Re: Canadian Iroquois (Tribal) class DDH question ...Posted: June 16th, 2011, 11:18 am
My basic premise is exactly that ... that there are alot of similarities between the Dutch Tromp concept and the Canadian DDG project. The drawing that Portsmouth Bill provided appears to show a 5"/38 MK12 gun mount. I also remember a drawing where it was armed with a 5"/54 Mk42 gun mount as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Canadian Iroquois (Tribal) class DDH question ...Posted: June 16th, 2011, 11:28 am
I am wondering... how 'reliable' is that concept art? it might be that this ship would use the dutch broomstick radar, (which is also such an sphere) but that one would never fit on such an small mast. the small sphere underneath it might be an WM-22, but that would make no sense as there is already an gun director just in front of it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: Canadian Iroquois (Tribal) class DDH question ...Posted: June 16th, 2011, 1:11 pm
Under the sphere it can use a rotating item, just using the sphere against the sea's salty wind...

Satcom also uses a sphere for this reason, otherwise they would be dead in a minut :)

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
DER386
Post subject: Re: Canadian Iroquois (Tribal) class DDH question ...Posted: June 16th, 2011, 6:41 pm
Fascinating - in the concept drawing it looks like it has a Sea Mauler mounted above the bridge.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Canadian Iroquois (Tribal) class DDH question ...Posted: June 16th, 2011, 7:27 pm
I wouldn't give too much credence to the illustration; I suspect it was very speculative regarding weapons and sensors ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]  Return to “Sources and Reference Drawings”

Jump to: