Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Krakatoa
Post subject: New Naval Guided Weapons System (NIGS) UKPosted: July 23rd, 2015, 1:10 pm
I can see that there are drawings in the RN weapons sheet for these missiles. But, I have not been able to see/find when they could have entered service. Could someone tell/show/link me to some information on the system. I would like it to be fitted to a cruiser or bigger sized vessel but need to know the timespan I can use ships from.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: New Naval Guided Weapons System (NIGS) UKPosted: July 23rd, 2015, 1:26 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
I can see that there are drawings in the RN weapons sheet for these missiles. But, I have not been able to see/find when they could have entered service. Could someone tell/show/link me to some information on the system. I would like it to be fitted to a cruiser or bigger sized vessel but need to know the timespan I can use ships from.

The Secret Projects site has you covered. (this is a link)

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: New Naval Guided Weapons System (NIGS) UKPosted: July 23rd, 2015, 1:41 pm
Thanks Mihoshik, that is an interesting discussion.

Lion a candidate if NIGS is followed through? ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: New Naval Guided Weapons System (NIGS) UKPosted: July 24th, 2015, 3:03 am
The discussion refers to Type-985 as the radar and ADAWS.

Quite frankly I do not have enough knowledge of post WW2 radars to have any clue as to what the 985 may have ended up looking like. Was the ADAWS a physical system visible on the ship or does it refer to a command centre control system?

AHA - I found this when searching:

[ img ]

I take it the type 985 is the dark squares on the bridge structure, would ADAWS be the 4 'half eggs' on the fore and aft bridges? they would be the flight controllers for the missiles in flight?

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: New Naval Guided Weapons System (NIGS) UKPosted: July 24th, 2015, 11:59 am
Krakatoa wrote:
The discussion refers to Type-985 as the radar and ADAWS.

Quite frankly I do not have enough knowledge of post WW2 radars to have any clue as to what the 985 may have ended up looking like. Was the ADAWS a physical system visible on the ship or does it refer to a command centre control system?

AHA - I found this when searching:

[ img ]

I take it the type 985 is the dark squares on the bridge structure, would ADAWS be the 4 'half eggs' on the fore and aft bridges? they would be the flight controllers for the missiles in flight?
That's not NIGS though, that's an alt universe Sea Dart.

NIGS is actually on the RN weapons sheet. One of the few things we kono0w is actually what the missile and launcher would have looked like :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: New Naval Guided Weapons System (NIGS) UKPosted: July 24th, 2015, 12:17 pm
Unfortunately the missile by itself without the Radar and controllers is not so good. If that is a later mod than NIGS, could the control units and radar be used for NIGS?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: New Naval Guided Weapons System (NIGS) UKPosted: July 24th, 2015, 12:23 pm
The Half eggs would actually be the Type 909 Sea Dart directors, if I am looking at the same thing.

I don't think ADAWS would really be visible on a shipbucket drawing, as it is an combat management system. It would be visible in the ships design though; in the size of the CIC, computer rooms and the cooling of these spaces.

from the wikipedia article on the Type 82:
Quote:
The advanced ADAWS-2 (Action Data Automation Weapons System Mk.2), a computer system designed to coordinate the ship's weapons and sensors.

The latter feature, although not externally apparent, was perhaps the most pioneering of the design; a leap forward from the rudimentary action information system of the "Counties" and its heavy reliance on manual data input.

The main advance in the design was with how the sensor data was processed and displayed. The ADAWS-2 system, based on two Ferranti FM1600 computers, integrated the identification, tracking and engagement of targets into a single system. ADAWS-2 could accept input from any of the ship’s radars or sonars, identify targets and produce continuous track histories. Using this information it could evaluate threat levels and control the engagement of targets using the relevant weapons systems. The whole process occurred almost automatically, requiring only oversight and command from the human operator. This new generation of warship would be commanded from an operations room within the ship rather than the traditional location of the bridge.
that is about the ADAWS-2 system though, the original ADAWS seems to have been trialled on board the Norfolk in 1970.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: New Naval Guided Weapons System (NIGS) UKPosted: July 24th, 2015, 12:48 pm
The reason I am looking at NIGS missile system is that it would have been available in the mid 1960's and been available for cruiser reconstructions. But I still need a radar system and missile controllers to go with the launcher. There is the 984 3D system that was on Victorious and Eagle, that is on the radar sheet, the next version is the 988 'Broomstick'. Neither of them seems to be any good for NIGS unless the 984 can be altered/upgraded to suit. Or the system on Hoods AU 82.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: New Naval Guided Weapons System (NIGS) UKPosted: July 24th, 2015, 3:09 pm
The NIGS would have probably used a four-array system called Type 985. As far as is know this was a fixed improved transistorised Type 984. The 20 sq ft face would give perhaps a 4 ft x 5ft sized array. It was probably Type 985 that begat ADAWS. Whether the radar or the missile came first is a 'chicken and the egg' scenario I'm not sure its possible to untangle.
There is also mention of a downgraded Small Ship Surveillance Radar, possibly using four arrays or one rotating array but with degraded performance. Almost nothing is known about this radar.

The illuminators are also unknown, the 5kw quoted seems ludicrously underpowered for a missile with such a range. We assumed the Bloodhound Type 87 TIR was among the best technology to be used for NIGS - I don't think it would have been a direct copy but close in appearance perhaps.

The ships to carry it were never designed, probably no more than a set of algebraic formulas in a note book. Someone had thought out the loading system but then Sea Slug went through several magazine schemes too and the NIGS one looks far to massive and space intensive for anything like the size and displacements thought about in the early designs.

As to dates, NIGS was probably cancelled 1961-62 but I feel that the NIGS missile, Type 985 and ADAWS were separate but connected projects and each lived or died on its own merits. It's proved hard to find any evidence of a requirement for a complete package. Had been continued I can't see it becoming operational until at least 1970. Personally I feel Sea Dart was the better choice.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: New Naval Guided Weapons System (NIGS) UKPosted: July 24th, 2015, 5:29 pm
Thanks for that Hood,

I have been looking for something to stick on the aft end of the Town/Colony cruisers to extend their lives out a bit as the US did with the Cleveland Baltimore types. Specifically I was looking at that new AA cruiser I did (Naiad-auto 4"), so it would end up like the French Colbert type. AA forward and SAM aft. At present the only candidate I seem to have is the Sea Slug and I was hoping to get NIGS into the mid 60's as the next alternative. It does mean the cruiser is going to be anything from 10-20 years old by mid 60's. If the ship has already had a Sea Slug conversion then I can not see any money being made available to upgrade again to NIGS.

Any thoughts on another alternative to Sea Slug? or am I pretty much stuck with Sea Slug for the SAM cruisers?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Sources and Reference Drawings” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: