Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Garlicdesign
Post subject: unknown shipPosted: August 21st, 2015, 9:08 pm
Hello again

Found this one on 'The Blueprints', of all places. It's labeled SMS Karlsruhe 1916, which is obviously wrong - for all I can tell, it's not even German. Conway's mentions nothing that this drawing could possibly depict.

[ img ]

Does anyone have any idea what that one is? US? Austro-Hungarian? Chinese? Scandinavian?

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: unknown shipPosted: August 21st, 2015, 10:10 pm
Not Norway at least, there was no plans for large cruiser in Norway, except for destroyers, submarines and coast defense ships/artillery ships.

Main turrets look similar to IJN 140mm/50 Type3 pedestal single turret (apparently mounted on CL and CVL), The design have some British-Japanese feelings. But I do get that french vibes.

The turret can be an British 7.5" gun. then it fit in to the scout cruiser study project.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: unknown shipPosted: August 21st, 2015, 10:58 pm
Hey GD, it looks like a drawing out of a Janes FS, but I can't see anything like it in JFS 1914.

Those tall upright funnels look like something Russian. Not British for that time period as those had leaning funnels.

Could have been French, but you did a few French light cruiser designs of that era and it does not look like those.

My best guess would be something that Vickers designed for Russia. That sloping underwater hull looks Russian. I can't remember any other nation that used that underwater hull configuration.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: unknown shipPosted: August 22nd, 2015, 3:48 pm
It reminds me of one of the most earlier designs of the German designed Java/Sumatra for the Royal Netherlands Navy, whish looks quite close.

[Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: unknown shipPosted: September 17th, 2015, 2:07 pm
Looks like a Chikuma to me.

EDIT: Upon looking into it more, it seems to only be a coincidental resemblance to Chikuma.

The only ship I can find that looks generally similar is the SMS Regensburg.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: unknown shipPosted: September 19th, 2015, 3:24 am
Regensburg has three funnels and a raked bow as well as a break aft in the deck. All of which leads me to believe that the ship is an export design or a never-were from Germany/Austria-Hungary/Russia though the masts look rather British which makes me think they hedged there bets to make it appealing to second rate navies.

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: unknown shipPosted: September 22nd, 2015, 7:47 am
I don't think its British, there is not much of British or even Vickers appearance beyond the foremast tripod.
The funnel layout and prominent boiler room vents say German to me, but I must admit if this were a German 1906-14 era design then I might have expected sided guns on the forecastle and quarterdeck.
But... given the four HA guns amidships (not German 88s) and the spotting top and 5.9/6in armament I think this could be a 1914-16 era design but it does not fit with what I'd expect a German design to look like for its own Navy.

An early Java design sounds plausible, so does something for Russia or perhaps even being a Russian design itself? (could explain the mix of styles and slightly old armament layout)
It could be a fake, but it doesn't look like a cut 'n' paste job. Given the amount of Russian stuff on the web, I'm backing its origin is Russian.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: unknown shipPosted: October 2nd, 2015, 8:27 pm
Hi Hood,

Couldn't those midships HA guns be 8.8cm/45 SK/L45 German weapons as appeared on the Konigsberg-class cruisers?

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: unknown shipPosted: October 2nd, 2015, 11:14 pm
I think it might be an early version of SMS Karlsruhe, since it have similarity with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Karlsruhe

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: unknown shipPosted: October 2nd, 2015, 11:52 pm
The only way that the Karlsruhe linked by Heuhen could be the ship drawing at top of page, would be if the drawing is of a fictional 'rebuilding' of the 1912 Karlsruhe for completion in 1916. The 1912 Karlsruhe had an internal explosion in 1914 and sank.

The replacement Karlsruhe II of 1918 was a three funnel cruiser of the Nurnberg II class.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Sources and Reference Drawings” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: