Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Images of the Duke of EdinburghsPosted: May 17th, 2011, 4:28 am
Bombhead's right about the formal badges. In the case of the DofE there are, however informal badges, which emanate from the period when Queen Vicky's youngest son, Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh commanded the Mediterranean Fleet; a very successful such command. It consists of his personal cipher basically, and it was adopted by the armored cruiser in honor of their illustrious sponsor/ namegiver. Of course it didn't appear on a formal, stylised badge, but rather as stiched emblems etc. However, it could be converted to a formal badge...I know, somewhat non-kosher... 8-) ;) :) :D :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Images of the Duke of EdinburghsPosted: May 18th, 2011, 12:57 am
bezobrazov wrote:
Bombhead's right about the formal badges. In the case of the DofE there are, however informal badges, which emanate from the period when Queen Vicky's youngest son, Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh commanded the Mediterranean Fleet; a very successful such command. It consists of his personal cipher basically, and it was adopted by the armored cruiser in honor of their illustrious sponsor/ namegiver. Of course it didn't appear on a formal, stylised badge, but rather as stiched emblems etc. However, it could be converted to a formal badge...I know, somewhat non-kosher... 8-) ;) :) :D :lol:
:D I've had done some research and a concentrated effort to give you some good news and.... (drumbeats!) two fabulous CoA's :lol: You were quite right about the unofficial badges. They was allowed and the reason for the need for official badges starting 1919. In that case I don't think it will be non-kosher to use them if they are well drawn. So here my friend I'll present the CoA's for HMS Black Prince 1904 and HMS Duke of Edingburgh 1904:
[ img ][ img ]

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Images of the Duke of EdinburghsPosted: May 18th, 2011, 3:30 am
Absolutely totally fabulistically fracteralistically hysteriostically imperiousivisciously supercalifractically impressibilistically extraordinarihypermegaincredibilistically well done and, actually so much more attractive for both! I shall go ahead at adorn them both with these badges! And I have an image of that DofE cipher as a stitching, and I tried myself to create it in paint - with miserable results!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “Sources and Reference Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: