Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
sebu
Post subject: Multi Purpose Corvette 2020Posted: August 30th, 2010, 3:04 pm
So, here is my first post; an impression of multi purpose corvette for Finnish navy based on Spanish BAM. Yes, it has features from Visby and other ships also but it has unique 127/57 mm dual gun... =) Maybe they can do it in 2020? Any ideas/remarks?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Multi Purpose Corvette 2020Posted: August 30th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Not bad, very reasonable, I can only really state two things that come to mind:

1.) It doesn't look like you have much of a hangar, so I wouldn't worry about...what do they call that thing? I call it a ship control tower. You know what I mean.

2.) Dual-guns aren't unheard of, but they're awkward, especially for such a compact-looking system. You're bringing in complicated and bulky feed systems etc. Stick with one or the other. The OTO 76 is a very good compromise between the two calibers - still able to punch holes through most ships (especially smaller ones) but also able to act as an anti-missile CIWS.

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: Multi Purpose Corvette 2020Posted: August 30th, 2010, 5:36 pm
Attachment:
Fi_FS_MPC_2020_2.GIF
...another view for MP...

Thank you klagldsf for your comments. I've to admit that I really don't know much about configurations of navy ships but I'm learning all the time. So I assume that you mean ship's communications etc. by ship control tower? I thought the "balloons" on top of the hangar would do the thing...
It should be more stealth anyway; is there any better solutions for communications/radars available?

I agree with you about the gun. But if you could do it, it would be certainly better choice, I think. I mean, a bigger cupola ( I don't know the right word), guns not in same line in horizontally or vertically, different modes etc.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Multi Purpose Corvette 2020Posted: August 30th, 2010, 5:39 pm
I mean the thing at the back where a guy sits and guides in helicopters.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Multi Purpose Corvette 2020Posted: August 30th, 2010, 6:52 pm
StanFlex, I approve. Then again, I am rather biased.
Depending on the internal layout of the ship, you could probably get away with four slots, two on the flight deck, one right in front of the bridge and, if you're willing to sacrifice that brute of a gun and go with either a 76 or a 57mm, one on the bow.
And btw, the 57mm barrel should be two pixels wide.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: Multi Purpose Corvette 2020Posted: August 30th, 2010, 9:10 pm
Good points. Like this? Let's say three slots on the flight deck; this should be multi-purpose ship anyway...
Attachment:
Fi_FS_MPC_2020_2a.GIF

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Multi Purpose Corvette 2020Posted: August 30th, 2010, 9:59 pm
Unless it's mounted off center, your telescoping hangar will block off the grating on the side of the superstructure. In fact, I'm not sure you can get away with such a hangar at all, since it'll eat quite a bit of internal volume. Plus, telescoping hangars are best described as maintenance hogs. (Anything that big and moving is) You'd also need to loose the towed array bay at the stern since you'd need the volume for a StanFlex module.
Anyway, if you ditch it you can probably get away with three slots on the helo deck, one on the raised bit in front of the bridge and a gun slot on the fo'c'sle.
Given the timeframe, ESSM would be more appropriate. And since you could potentially carry as many as sixty of them if you went for an all ESSM loadout, a second director wouldn't be out of place.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Multi Purpose Corvette 2020Posted: August 30th, 2010, 10:28 pm
You may want to move your forward cannon down one pixel, double black lines are generally frowned upon when avoidable and it looks better overall.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Multi Purpose Corvette 2020Posted: August 30th, 2010, 11:53 pm
Medium caliber guns are a notable exception to that rule. Masts sometimes cannot avoid a double-pixel either.

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Multi Purpose Corvette 2020Posted: August 30th, 2010, 11:54 pm
Ah, k. You know more then me.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: