Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: IRU "Sirius"Posted: October 10th, 2011, 5:40 pm
Yes. But there IS a possibility of launchers reload. ;) They reloaded HORIZONTALLY, from the rear hangar. And the turned vertically (my old concept... invented for the idea of CIM-10 "Bomarc"-carrying ship ;) )

For the rest - I'm going to partially remodel project ... In particular, the radar. Although I personally like these ... I only have to fix them to look less like the original.
Quote:
I can't face anymore of this
So that is a mad enough project? Thank you! ;) That's what I need.

P.S. Yeah, the torpedo tubes on the top of the missile hangar WASN'T a good idea. I'll get rid of it.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: IRU "Sirius"Posted: October 10th, 2011, 6:52 pm
Well, it doesn't really make a great deal of sense. On the other hand, it would actually float gray-side-up and generally be capable of plying the waves to a nonzero extent. Directors and radar sets are present and generally located with good fields of view in mind. So I'm going to look on the bright side.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: IRU "Sirius"Posted: October 11th, 2011, 6:09 am
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
I can't face anymore of this :(
Cool down, Bill. We have seen much worse than that. It almost has a chance to float. Maybe it could sink itself with its torps. Or the boosters of the nike things could burn a hole into it. Or the crew gets that much frustrated, they blow it up themselves...

@Dilandu: ok, you have tried to do a ship that differs from existing doctrines. For that one it is a well done job. It differs that much that it might nearly float. Can you imagine that these doctrines have reasons, simple physics for example?

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: IRU "Sirius"Posted: October 11th, 2011, 7:46 am
O.k. I'll pull in the plank for now, and no keel hauling .....yet :twisted: But I'm bamboozled by how you're loading and stowing those massive Nike thingies. The point I was (also) making was that you've sited the heli pad between the missiles midship..... :roll: I mean, do you have soemthing against egg-beater pilots?

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: IRU "Sirius"Posted: October 11th, 2011, 8:31 am
Yeah, those Helo's are literally toast if the ship fires a missile while they are on deck. Just from an engineering standpoint, what kind of stresses is the midships section looking at? And does this ship have a ballast system for when you shoot one missile off and not the other?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: IRU "Sirius"Posted: October 11th, 2011, 10:28 am
Navybrat85 wrote:
Yeah, those Helo's are literally toast if the ship fires a missile while they are on deck. Just from an engineering standpoint, what kind of stresses is the midships section looking at? And does this ship have a ballast system for when you shoot one missile off and not the other?
It's the most stable part of the ship. As Erik said, it floats, moves, and can fight, which places it above most other beginner designs that we've seen recently.

[Profile] [Quote]
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: IRU "Sirius"Posted: October 11th, 2011, 11:48 am
Quote:
@Dilandu: ok, you have tried to do a ship that differs from existing doctrines. For that one it is a well done job. It differs that much that it might nearly float. Can you imagine that these doctrines have reasons, simple physics for example?
Oh, just imagine - I perfectly understand that. That's why I correct the scheme continuously, to the ship will not only look unusual, but still somehow swam.
Quote:
But I'm bamboozled by how you're loading and stowing those massive Nike thingies.
So, how well were going to reload the 10-meter RIM-50 Typhoon on the ship?

What about the helicopter - yes, perhaps it was the same as a Bad Idea, almost as a torpedo tube on the superstructure. :D I assumed, in general, to launch rockets with launch of charge (to avoid problems with the gases-ejectors), activating the engine is already in flight.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: IRU "Sirius"Posted: October 11th, 2011, 3:42 pm
erik_t wrote:
So I'm going to look on the bright side.
TimothyC wrote:
As Erik said, it floats, moves, and can fight, which places it above most other beginner designs that we've seen recently.
What they said ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Scifibug
Post subject: Re: IRU "Sirius"Posted: October 11th, 2011, 3:52 pm
And remember at one time it was proposed mounting Martin Marietta's Sprint ABM with it's billboard like phased array radar on ships.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/i ... l#msg68010

Section B #3

i have a pic somewhere.
IIRC it looked like a tanker with a three sided structure on either end and Sprint like silos in-between. something like an early Arsenal Ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: IRU "Sirius"Posted: October 11th, 2011, 5:02 pm
Quote:
IIRC it looked like a tanker with a three sided structure on either end and Sprint like silos in-between. something like an early Arsenal Ship.
Well, each level of technology dictate its own decisions, do not you ...? ;)

As for the helicopter: actually I thought that the helicopter at the usual time hide in the hangar, integrated into superstructure. The screw is composed, the tail bends to the side.

That is based on the fact that a situation where the ship will have to SIMULTANEOUSLY keep the helicopter on the deck and shoot anti-aircraft missiles are rare.

However, I personally think is an anti-submarine drone to replace the helicopter.
Attachment:
Sirius-class.png
Thus, some modified version:

1) Removed the torpedo-tube

2) Added additional antenna control anti-ship missiles on the mast

3) Improved helicopter hangar door in the rear of the superstructure

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: