Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
josephw71
Post subject: Re: Old and TiredPosted: November 29th, 2011, 6:52 pm
Question, is there a shipbucket standard for what defines a frigate, destroyer, or cruiser? It seems each navy has slightly different definitions. Given that the idea is a ship not originally designed to carry missiles, 16-18 seaslugs is O.K. would in essence just changing the category fix that. And below is my modified Ikara placement, It looked too tall, and I noticed some ships had it in a pit so I tried sinking it part way, don't know if that's workable, but I'd give it a try.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Old and TiredPosted: November 30th, 2011, 4:11 pm
As far as the RN is concerned, the custom has become established that a surface unit designed around a primary asw role is designated as a frigate, whereas a surface unit designed primarily around anti-air is designated as a destroyer. In this system size is not a determining factor, as some frigates where larger than destroyers. Of course, a lot of 'fudging' goes on, such as when the RN categorised the Invincible as a 'through deck cruiser', to baffle the brains of the politicians (a long story, but more or less the RAF always seeing its role to 'sink' any British aircraft carrier) Bearing this in mind, it might be wise for the Navy to re-classify the new carriers as auxiliaries' to keep them hidden ;)

Re the Ikara, I'm not sure if what you've got would be enough. Like the Seaslug, it was assembled prior to launch, so needed some space for storage and handling. I'm not an expert, but it looks as though the RAN and RN used diferent systems, the former seeming to be more compact, while the latter used a 'gazebo' style of launching that was sited forward, as with the Bristol and the rebulit Leander's. By all accounts it seems the RN system was very noisy, not a good thing when hunting subs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Old and TiredPosted: November 30th, 2011, 8:18 pm
Following are some Ikara launchers
Australian Type 12 frigates and Brasilian Niteroi class (as originally built)

[ img ]

HMAS Stuart with the Ikara on the quarterdeck. As can be seen there is some sort of a blast door in front of the launcher, which gave access to the Ikara magazine
[ img ]

Magazine and assembly arrangement on the Australian frigates
[ img ]

HMAS Perth have a long deckhouse for Ikara reloads just abaft of the launcher. There were two launchers port and starboard
[ img ]

Brtish Leanders had a deckhouse built in front of the bridge, and in front of that they had the Ikara launcher enclosed in a 'Zareba', to protect the launcher and missile from the sea
[ img ]
[ img ].
Hope these will help.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Old and TiredPosted: December 1st, 2011, 7:57 am
Excellent Novice :) , the first time I've seen the below decks arrangemnet for the RAN Ikara; and (covered with embarassment), I should have said Zarebra and not Gazebo :oops: I've wondered why the RN did not follow the RAN in sighting the Ikara aft; but looking at it now it would seem that this would be just too difficult on the existing hull; so sighting it forward in place of the main gun was the only alternative - a shame because the RAN version allowed a more flexible role.

[Profile] [Quote]
josephw71
Post subject: Re: Old and TiredPosted: December 1st, 2011, 6:52 pm
No wonder naval architects are payed well, I can't bring my self to put in the Ikara. However, since the idea is a second tier nation retro-fitting one of their ships with the latest gear (for the early-mid 60s) it occurs to me that if they can't get the Ikara to fit find another antisubmarine weapon. I think ASROC was available, but wouldn't I then have to adjust the electronics set? Then again I might be able to fit a Sea Cat and focus the design on anti air. And what counter measures would have been available at the time? Thanks for the images, they were a great help.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Old and TiredPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 6:30 pm
Quote:
No wonder naval architects are payed well, I can't bring my self to put in the Ikara.
I totally sympathise. In the 'Elder Days' of Shipbucket, we could get away with sticking things where we liked, but now we have some knowledgeable members (not me!) who keep us all 'up to the mark'; but at least you are taking the trouble to get things right, and for that you earn our praise :)

[Profile] [Quote]
josephw71
Post subject: Re: Old and TiredPosted: December 3rd, 2011, 4:22 am
O.K. lets go with this for now, might start thinking about what the next rebuild might be for this ship, early 70's next.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: