Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 3:34 pm
dilandu: what you are saying makes no sense. ok, this ship scores low on stealth, but not as bad as it could have been. and what do you think the goalkeeper CIWS system is for?

klaasgras, I don't know if the I-mast 400 system is the right fit for this ship. there are also some shipbucket style problems on it, but I let that to the mods.... I only like to ask you to use the newest parts which you can find in the parts sheet discussion part of these forums.
I have to say btw, that only ground attack would be an hollow role for an modern warship. I would suggest adding equipment for other roles as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 3:38 pm
Quote:
dilandu: what you are saying makes no sense. ok, this ship scores low on stealth, but not as bad as it could have been. and what do you think the goalkeeper CIWS system is for?
I'm not inclined to consider CIWS as a sufficient systems against modern missiles. IMHO, RAM-system a little harder, but much more efficiently.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 3:41 pm
I consider RAM and GK roughly even. because, well, they are both classified as CIWS. RAM might have a little longer range, GK operates a bit faster...... anyways, similar. in effect, the best would be an fit of both like on the south korean ships.
ESSM makes more sense, but calling the GK insufficient were the RAM is is just bullsh*t.

[Profile] [Quote]
Klaasgras
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 3:43 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
klaasgras, I don't know if the I-mast 400 system is the right fit for this ship. there are also some shipbucket style problems on it, but I let that to the mods.... I only like to ask you to use the newest parts which you can find in the parts sheet discussion part of these forums.
I have to say btw, that only ground attack would be an hollow role for an modern warship. I would suggest adding equipment for other roles as well.
I totally agree with you about the economical aspect of this ship, I am thinking about reviewing it tommorrow and make it a more all-round amphibious support ship.

The I-mast 400 was the only stealthy radar/antenna/mast I could find. Perhaps you have a better iedea? But as I said, I will make a better version tommorow, with everyones ideas. Thanks for all your comments, after all, I am here to draw and learn!

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 3:50 pm
For fire support, at least a 5" gun is required.

If you want to shell out the cash for a strictly fire-support only ship, consider a design that has at least two rapid-firing 5" guns (As much as I want to wave the American flag, the OTO 5" guns are probably a better choice here. They have a higher rate of fire, as well as the ability to fire VOLCANO, something the Mk. 45 can't do.)

Also, Your ship should carry at least a basic AAW package, which would include a short range Surface to Air Missile (Evolved Sea Sparrow is a nice, compact weapon) and either a CIWS gun or missile system (Goalkeeper, Phalanx, RAM). Also don't forget the SRBOC or Nulka for protection. Anti-Ship Missiles can be launched from anywhere: Aircraft, missile boats, even from shore batteries. Establishing Air and Sea superiority doesn't mean enemy aircraft WON'T attack, or Anti-Ship Missiles WON'T come your way.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 3:53 pm
what exactly do you mean with amphibious support ship? I cannot think of how that role would be configured, to be honest. the only thing that comes to mind is the zumwalt....

anyways, for the radar system. this depends on what you want it to do, and the size of your ship. it also depends on the nation you want to take the radar equipment from. could you answer these things, then I can help you further...?

btw, your nickname.... are you dutch?

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 4:00 pm
The Tarawa class was equipped, as Built, to provide fire support to the troops she landed, with two 5" guns. Those guns were removed in the late 90's though when the Navy transitioned to the "Over the Horizon" strategy.

You could build an LPD with an onboard Gun System, but I don't see more than one mount being practical for that application.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 4:12 pm
that would only be an good idea for a few years back, as currently the LPD tactics have changed a lot.... the LPD is just an too big target to get close to the shore.

no, my idea is of an small, light combat boat with reasonably large guns (76mm guns might even be sufficient, there are versions of those with land attack projectiles, heck even 57mm's with those, but I would favor an 127) but I cannot think of many more tasks for it to do, apart from OPV/anti-piracy operations, where it's guns would be way too big.

or: an honking large expensive ship which stays over or near the horizon so to say, and fires 155mm guns and missiles to the coast. the zumwalt comes to mind.......

any ideas guys, because both of those don't seem very attractive. the last time I looked at something like this I produced the shore bombardement spruance.... viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1432&hilit=spruance+71

[Profile] [Quote]
Klaasgras
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 6:22 pm
Well, I mainly stick to NATO equipment and if possible European. My next version of the Amphibious Fire Support Ship will be bigger and will have a small AAW capacity, but her main task will still be support fire. Does someone has an idea about a replacement for the Tomahawks?

And yes, I am Dutch.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: An attempt to make a modern gunboatPosted: October 18th, 2011, 6:28 pm
well, you should be a bit more specific with the country. for example, if you want an dutch build ship, you would need these 2 part sheets:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1307
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=321

the british, the french or whatever country you would choose, all use different systems with most of the times as much stuff designed by them or for them.

and if you are going with AA capability, I would say keep the tomahawks. if those don't fit, you'll have to look at never build missiles I suppose, so you should ask tim or one of the other USN experts out here for that.

and.. great, yet another dutchie :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 38 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: