Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 7  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Swedish Dreadnought(first attempt at SB style drawing)Posted: November 20th, 2011, 12:09 am
Welcome aboard KHT :D I like your drawing. I won't comment further. You've already got expert comments and advices ;)

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Swedish Dreadnought(first attempt at SB style drawing)Posted: November 20th, 2011, 9:20 am
klagldsf wrote:
Lacking detail and updated parts.
I am impressed by this comment. *Inside comment* ;)

[Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Swedish Dreadnought(first attempt at SB style drawing)Posted: November 20th, 2011, 9:21 am
Nice work KHT!!

[Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Swedish Dreadnought(first attempt at SB style drawing)Posted: November 20th, 2011, 9:23 am
klagldsf wrote:

A combination of shading and what I'll call "pixel-detail" (lacking the pixels needed to represent the detail, if that's clear).

And yes, I mean on the various parts sheets, which are becoming more and more standardized and codified with every week. I don't know why they wouldn't fit well on your ship since that's what they're there for.
Well... since I have very low confidence in actually managing to make it as detailed as is required for a "true" shipbucket style drawing(even though I'm working at becoming better), they would seem slightly off. Maybe I should describe it as a pattern which suddenly brakes.
Your are by all probability right though. I will tend more to the details from now on, and use the parts sheats more effectivly. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Swedish Dreadnought(first attempt at SB style drawing)Posted: November 20th, 2011, 10:09 am
As a rule of thumb 16-17 pixels should be the average height of a deck.
The hull needs to be taller too, those two decks are very tight. Generally though this is a fine start.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Swedish Dreadnought(first attempt at SB style drawing)Posted: November 20th, 2011, 1:38 pm
Now, I present to you Version 1.3! Hope you'll like it! Changes include:
I now use Psilander's 11" and 6" gun turrets, albeit with a colour scheme fitting the ship.
Extensive(compared to before) shading for turrets, barbettes, funnel, superstructure, hull, and the boats in the middle part of the ship.
Slightly heightened foremost superstructure.
Attachment:
HMS Göta Lejon (uppdaterad, nya torn, skuggning, V. 1.3).png
It's not fully up to SB quality(IMO), but it feels like it's getting closer. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Swedish Dreadnought(first attempt at SB style drawing)Posted: November 20th, 2011, 3:48 pm
Hmmm...promising, but 'tween-deck height just doesn't seem enough. Also the boats seem way too small. Color is too dark for Kungliga Flottan. You may elect to apply a dazzle-pattern or something. Finally, being a Swedish vessel, I'd go with a whaleback focs'le and icebreaker bow - and underwater hull!) And, like a few have pointed out, but that's the easiest of fixes, just use the equipment sheet or 'cannibalize' other, contemporary ships for it - add details!

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Swedish Dreadnought(first attempt at SB style drawing)Posted: November 20th, 2011, 7:18 pm
Here we are at Version 1.4 of this mighty dreadnought.
Most notably, I've added the UW hull, and changed the hues for a lighter gray. They deck has been heightened as well, and I've added two coats of arms(One with the Three Crowns at the bow(one on each side) and one at the aft, supposed to be the Göta Lejon's personal coat of arms)
As in the earlier posts, hope you like it!
Attachment:
HMS GL V. 1.4.png
As this is likely the final, or more probably one of the final drafts, I'd like to add some back story :) It might also be the beginning to a small AU in which Sweden has a bigger, more powerful navy, albeit not being at super power rank.
With the arrival of the Dreadnought, the old battleships of Sweden, and all other countries, was rendered obsolete in one stroke. Many of the world's superpowers was allready on their way to produce their own similar ships. In Sweden, several smaller designs was considered, similar to the German dreadnoughts, albeit with single wing turrets. As the relations between the super powers in Europe was beginning to get tense, it was felt that the military forces of Sweden should be expanded. Being impressed with the American dreadnought USS South Carolina, contacts was made with the US for bluprints and technological support. In 1912 the plans were essentially complete. The dreadnought would lie around 18 000 tonnes in max deplacement, with slightly lighter armour than contemporary ships, but with more speed. On this ship, eight 11" guns and sixteen 6" guns were planned to be mounted. The latter was eventually cut town to twelve, to save weight and space.
Building begann in 1913, and she was complete in late 1916.
Despite arriving in the Super-dreadnought generation, she served faithfully during the rest of WW1, and continued on during the next great war. Between the wars, her secondary armament was changed to that of twelve dual-purpose 4.7"(120 mm)guns.
She was scrapped in 1951, donating several of her guns to different defensive positions around in Sweden.

Hope you liked it :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Swedish Dreadnought(first attempt at SB style drawing)Posted: November 20th, 2011, 7:30 pm
Unfortunately, using Psilanders stuff isn't a good idea if you're aiming for SB standard.
Psilander gets a free pass because he his membership predates the forum, but nobody else does.
In order to attain SB standard you'll have to forego multi hue shading and grey outlines.
I posted an SB version of the 6in guns in my A Danish AU.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Swedish Dreadnought(first attempt at SB style drawing)Posted: November 20th, 2011, 10:14 pm
Thiel wrote:
Unfortunately, using Psilanders stuff isn't a good idea if you're aiming for SB standard.
Psilander gets a free pass because he his membership predates the forum, but nobody else does.
In order to attain SB standard you'll have to forego multi hue shading and grey outlines.
I posted an SB version of the 6in guns in my A Danish AU.
I'm currently reworking Psilander's turrets ( Your 6" turret was, sadly, a the single gun version) with a relatively good result. IMO though, I think it gets rather dull without any multi hue shading (turrets work, but the rest just gets really bland without it). Once I get the time I will post two updated versions: One with shading and one without, to see how they work against each other, and let you others decide which is best.
PS. If I wasn't going for SB standard I wouldn't be here.. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 7  [ 67 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: