Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 8  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: My first FrigatePosted: June 5th, 2011, 6:44 pm
According to NavWeaps it was offered for sale in 1964.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: My first FrigatePosted: June 6th, 2011, 6:59 pm
barnest2 wrote:
I've got railings... but anyway:
On the previous page I was told I could get the gun in '64.
It's not a British ship, it's AU, so using a slightly old radar wouldn't be that bad. This was designed for mid '60's, so something being phased out then is perfect.
The type 1006 is certainly okay for the time. And the pair of them give me air and surface search.
Sea cat has it's integral director.
The wasp is the new one. It used to be the older one.
About the gun I said that IIRC, so I appologise for the mistake. Type 1006 radar began development in 1969 with production starting in 1971. Seacat never had an integral director on mount. First shipboard installation with optical director was on HMS Cavalier, and also on modified Rothesay class frigates (apart from trial installation on HMS Decoy). The optical director was also used by HMS Fearless and Interpid. The first radar guided installation was on HMS Devonshire with GWS.20 (a director which looked like a dust-bin and in fact was a modified MRS.8 gunerry director).
On the Type 21 frigates there is a lightweight director, Type 912, in fact a British variation of the Italian Selenia Orion RTN-10 director which can control both Seacat and the gun.
Wasp helicopter ... well my bad :oops:

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: My first FrigatePosted: June 7th, 2011, 6:23 pm
The hecla had type 1006 in '65 apparently...

Yeah, it has a optical director, that was on the mount. When did the radar one get introduced?

Is this better?
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: My first FrigatePosted: June 7th, 2011, 11:04 pm
HMS Hecla had a Kelvin Hughes commercial radar, which was developed into Type 1006, but the designation Type 1006 was, as mentionrd in my previous post.
See Here for the Type 912 director

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: My first FrigatePosted: June 8th, 2011, 9:30 am
Replaced the director. Also replaced the anachronistic radar set with a new surface search one :)
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: My first FrigatePosted: June 8th, 2011, 10:32 am
Barnest2
Following are some pictures related to Seacat

The launcher with missiles
[ img ]

Seacat launch
[ img ]

Seacat launcher and optical director in the background
[ img ]

Seacat loading
[ img ]

Seacat and director Dutch navy version (director is M-44)

[ img ]

From all the above you can clearly see that the Seacat had its director outside of the launcher, and there is no place for the an operator on the launcher. Please note that Seacat was directed to its target by radio command, where the operator placed his sights on the target, and used a joystick to control the missile to the target - in the optical director. In the radar director the input was from the radar where the controller just had to keep the missile alligned with the target. Being a radio controlled missile also explaines the system short range (it was developed as an optical directed and the operator needed to see the missile, hence the missile itself had flares in its tail, so it would be better visible to the operator).
So, to cap it all, you'll need another director so your ship could use both gun and missile.

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: My first FrigatePosted: June 8th, 2011, 10:50 am
Is there anything wrong with placing a director further aft of the weapon?
It's just I like the placement of the sea-cat where it is, and I'd rather not step it down at all. I'will if needs be of course, but I would rather not.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: My first FrigatePosted: June 8th, 2011, 11:05 am
I think not, but the director needs a better field of vision than the missile launcher. The director needs to see all-around, the launcher doesn't.

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: My first FrigatePosted: June 8th, 2011, 11:38 am
How about... this:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: My first FrigatePosted: June 8th, 2011, 9:50 pm
Now for the hard part, shading. Also take a look at many of the drawings on the main site, those with full hull, and see what is missing in yours - around the water line, that is.
While at it take a look at your bridge. It looks wrong somehow, with the railings and windows.
None the less it's coming along quite nicely.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 8  [ 73 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »

Jump to: