Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
Alterna Historia
Post subject: Imperial Japanese Navy Motor Torpedo BoatPosted: June 22nd, 2022, 11:39 pm
Here's my first design: an Imperial Japanese Navy motor torpedo boat.

The Ta-class of motor torpedo boats was designed to counter the American PT boat. Notorious for being rather bad sea boats, they offer an exhiliarating and wet first command.

Ships in Class

Weaponry
4x1 450mm torpedo tubes firing 16-inch torpedoes
1x1 20mm anti-aircraft cannon
6 Type 95 depth charges, launched from stern rails

Dimensions and General Info
122 ft long
48.5 feet high
21 feet wide
Steel hull
18 crew: 4 officers, 14 men.

[ img ]

- Yamato on Graf Spee's hull plan
- Giant cruiseferry powered by nuclear engines... what could go wrong?

Last edited by Alterna Historia on June 25th, 2022, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Imperial Japanese Navy Motor Torpedo BoatPosted: June 23rd, 2022, 6:59 pm
Nice work, but the IJN did have its own PT-boats, known as Gyoraitei.

[ img ]

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Alterna Historia
Post subject: Re: Imperial Japanese Navy Motor Torpedo BoatPosted: June 23rd, 2022, 8:02 pm
emperor_andreas wrote: *
Nice work, but the IJN did have its own PT-boats, known as Gyoraitei.

[ img ]
Interesting design :D

I suppose in the AU this was designed for, the Gyoraitei-type and the Ta-class could share similar roles. However, the Tas were designed to be easily and effectively deployed in combat from a battlecruiser-size ship, or a specially converted destroyer-type vessel

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Imperial Japanese Navy Motor Torpedo BoatPosted: June 25th, 2022, 8:07 pm
Hello AlternaHistoria, welcome to the Shipbucket.
Some words on your design: the funnel suggest a steam engine, which is rather unusual choice for MTB (although indeed there were few such designs), shape of the main deck is also rather unusual in being so stepped (again: for an MTB) and in bit unusual places. The mast rather should be 3-pixel thick (black contour / color / black contour) as it seems to be bit too big for 1-pixel, and the drawing generally lacks details (like DC's that look like they are just laying loose on the deck, with no rails, projectors or anything similar). And last but not least, there are some heavy corners on the rear part of bridge.
http://shipbucket.com/styleguide#21

[Profile] [Quote]
Alterna Historia
Post subject: Re: Imperial Japanese Navy Motor Torpedo BoatPosted: June 25th, 2022, 9:28 pm
eswube wrote: *
Hello AlternaHistoria, welcome to the Shipbucket.
Some words on your design: the funnel suggest a steam engine, which is rather unusual choice for MTB (although indeed there were few such designs), shape of the main deck is also rather unusual in being so stepped (again: for an MTB) and in bit unusual places. The mast rather should be 3-pixel thick (black contour / color / black contour) as it seems to be bit too big for 1-pixel, and the drawing generally lacks details (like DC's that look like they are just laying loose on the deck, with no rails, projectors or anything similar). And last but not least, there are some heavy corners on the rear part of bridge.
http://shipbucket.com/styleguide#21
-I tried a 3-thick mast during the WIP phase and it looked too thick for this small size.
-PT boats didn't even have funnels based on the looks of things.
-This ship is either a very small destroyer or a very large MTB, I think of it as a large MTB.
-DCs have been mounted on other IJN boats in a similar way, for instance on the T-14 class. However, in the new image, I have placed the depth charges on elevated rails.
-245-px length is not remarkable and detailing is not easy on a hull that small to get the desired uncluttered appearance.
-The Tas are designed for oceanic operations and release, Higgins-boat-style, from a battleship.
-New image:
[ img ]
-My name is two words

Counter-eswube'd

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Imperial Japanese Navy Motor Torpedo BoatPosted: June 25th, 2022, 10:08 pm
I have to admit I am with eswube on at least some of the points made here.
- Shipbucket is an artform that describes things not always exactly as they are, but how they look. on similarly sized drawings (for example http://shipbucket.com/drawings/3343) a 3 pixel mast seems to work fine, so let's not just shut down these comments but discuss why it looked too thick.
- If PT boats did not have funnels, and this is similar in size and/or role to those, why does this have a funnel? If the ship has a steam plant, which could be an explanation for the funnel, it means this ship is rather heavy and probably relatively slow compared to the 'common' PT boats or even destroyers. She seems similar in length to the german Schnellboot's but her far higher profile suggests a larger beam and lower speed. I am not sure if that was intentional? She reminds me a lot of the postwar small submarine chasers which had a top speed of about 16 knots http://shipbucket.com/drawings/3356
- The bigger MTB's got, the slower they usually were (look at the german Schnellboot types again) and this looks big even for them. What is the task these large MTB's were going to do?
- Look at other recent shipbucket drawings or even at pictures of real ships how depth charges are stored. Right now they look to be lying on top of the rails without any support or fastening, waiting for the first wave to push them overboard.
- There are plenty of details that could fill a ship drawing this size. Foldable railings, mooring gear, deck winches, the anchor, doors to get inside the pilothouse, stairs to get to the light on top of the pilothouse, rigging for the mast and flaglines, coolwater exhausts on the hull, hoisting points if the ship is to be hoisted on board of another ship, waterline markers, anchor gear, lights, identification on the hull..... while this drawing is of the size where it starts getting complicated what to draw and what to ignore, real ships have tons of details that could be drawn on. Getting practise with stuff like that is one of the reasons why we always recommend drawing real ships for the first few drawings. The smallest ship in shipbucket is still 5 times shorter then this drawing though!
- 150+ ton cranes in the WW2 era are quite big, are you sure you want those on a battleship? and not even speaking about the weight of the ship itself on your hull. We're talking in the range of choosing between having 2 of these boats on board or having secondary armament on your battleship even if your ship is the size of the yamato. and if these are designed for oceanic operations, why would you bring them on your battleship?

[Profile] [Quote]
Alterna Historia
Post subject: Re: Imperial Japanese Navy Motor Torpedo BoatPosted: June 26th, 2022, 5:24 pm
acelanceloet wrote: *

If PT boats did not have funnels, and this is similar in size and/or role to those, why does this have a funnel? If the ship has a steam plant, which could be an explanation for the funnel, it means this ship is rather heavy and probably relatively slow compared to the 'common' PT boats or even destroyers. She seems similar in length to the german Schnellboot's but her far higher profile suggests a larger beam and lower speed. I am not sure if that was intentional? She reminds me a lot of the postwar small submarine chasers which had a top speed of about 16 knots http://shipbucket.com/drawings/3356
The funnel serves as an exhaust for shipboard diesel engines, might not need it after all. I was inspired by the funnel on the KM Graf Spee

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: