Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Carnac
Post subject: Replacement for Canadian Frigates and Destroyers (WIP)Posted: May 8th, 2011, 1:34 am
A personal proposal for the Common Hull Combatant. (I know this has been done before, but seeing as they are both personal designs that happen to fill the same RL role, I see no problem)
http://i.imgur.com/G45IY.png (1)
http://i.imgur.com/f83ZW.png (2)
http://i.imgur.com/RY8ys.png (3)
http://i.imgur.com/4QAiA.png (4)
http://i.imgur.com/kdabX.png (5)
[ img ]

Weapons:
1 x Mk 32 SVTT (Internal)
64 x Tactical-Length Mark 41 VLS
32 x Self-Defense Length Mark 41 VLS
1 x RAM Launcher
1 x Mark 3 57mm Bofors
2 x RHMG

Sensors:
5 x Mirador EO
APAR
SMART-L
2 x Navigational Radar

Decoys:
Nulka (From Mark 41)

Aviation:
1 x Medium helipad
Room for one CH-148 Cyclone or similar

Last edited by Carnac on May 8th, 2011, 8:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Replacement for Canadian Frigates and Destroyers (WIP)Posted: May 8th, 2011, 4:23 am
Good Start, I have definitely seen worse (I've drawn worse too). You still need uptakes and exhaust for the engines, and I only see 24, maybe 48 VLS cells with the midship array. I might chose to accept 32 cells forward (maybe 48), and two 8 cell SD length packs on each beam on the main exhaust.

Please don't let my critiques discourage you, as I see some great potential here.

Oh and thank you for using the most up-to-date versions of all parts. It really warms my heart to see that after all of the old versions of the Standard Missile that I see still being used.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Replacement for Canadian Frigates and Destroyers (WIP)Posted: May 8th, 2011, 6:10 am
Underwater exhausts and gas turbines really turbines really doesn't mix all that well. The only ship I'm aware of that uses it is the Swedish Visby class corvette.
In order to power your ship along, you'll need quite a bit more power, so the exhaust has to be quite a bit larger, which will take up a lot of space in the hull, right were you'll need it the most.
If you have CODAG propulsion you're also likely to see some "interesting" situations in heavy weather when external pressure becomes higher than the exhaust pressure from the diesels.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: Replacement for Canadian Frigates and Destroyers (WIP)Posted: May 8th, 2011, 7:35 am
@Thiel, If Wiki is to be believed the South African Valour class uses it, and it uses CODAG. I'd also assume that
A. The exhaust has a pretty high pressure, making that situation unlikely
or
B. There is a no-return valve in the exhaust system.

@TimothyC, It's supposed to be 64 cells in the mid, 32 front. I'll fix that.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Replacement for Canadian Frigates and Destroyers (WIP)Posted: May 8th, 2011, 8:01 am
The Valour class has its exhaust at the waterline, something your ship can't have because it has to deal with sea ice. They also had to make some significant sacrifices in terms of internal volume to make it work.
The exhaust pressure from a gas turbine is high. On a turbo diesel, not so much.
You can't install a no-return valve in the system. In bad weather it would close up all the time and kill your engines. (Getting rid of the exhaust is just as vital as getting air in.)

Anyway, the HMG is in a very bad position since you can't get to it without a moveable ladder.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: Replacement for Canadian Frigates and Destroyers (WIP)Posted: May 8th, 2011, 8:18 am
OK, so adding exhausts. VLS has been enlarged, rails added (I opted for solid rails to reduce RCS) and various other minor changes.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: Replacement for Canadian Frigates and Destroyers (WIP)Posted: May 8th, 2011, 6:16 pm
Major update.
http://i.imgur.com/4QAiA.png

[Profile] [Quote]
Gilles
Post subject: Re: Replacement for Canadian Frigates and Destroyers (WIP)Posted: May 8th, 2011, 7:40 pm
it's just my opinion but i think the hull is a bit to small because you can't do big upgrades or put more weapons in the future
i would see a 150M hull for a ddg

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: Replacement for Canadian Frigates and Destroyers (WIP)Posted: May 8th, 2011, 8:07 pm
It's true it would be difficult to expand the weapons suite, but any future weapons that fit in a tactical length Mk 41 VLS would fit in this ship, giving it a moderate amount of future-proofing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Replacement for Canadian Frigates and Destroyers (WIP)Posted: May 8th, 2011, 8:23 pm
I doubt those funnels are going to be big enough. Take a look at some similar sized turbine powered ship.
You also need to ad air intakes.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: