Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 20  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 520 »
Andorianus
Post subject: Anghellis Class CruiserPosted: May 12th, 2011, 8:19 pm
A couple of things:

1: I am new to this site, and this is my first post. So, hello everyone! :D
2: I came here directly from NSDraftroom, a site related to Nationstates. (I suppose you all know NSD?) Other people at NSD might know me already (Hi Colo).
3: This is my first attemt at SB, and it might well be the last one too. I don't have enough time to be of any use to you guys. I can't draw RL designs, I just can't. So I made this one for NS.
4: About the ship itself: it is a cruiser meant for the Dystopian navy in NS. It is nuclear powered and meant to replace all other surface warships in the Dystopian navy (except transports, carriers, and LPD's). It is armed with a wide variety of missiles, a large helicopter fleet, a large RhIB hangar (including unmanned boats), and more. Basically it's very multifunctional, to the point where it can even launch limited amphibious assaults.
[ img ]
A couple more notes. Most of the missiles are from the parts sheet but there are two that I drawed on my own based of existing missiles. The first one is based of the Polaris and was meant to be an anti-ship missile with a very large range, and also very difficult to intecept. The second one is a torpedo based of the K-ASROC here in this list. It's the same torp as the K-ASROC uses, but I couldn't find it on the parts list.

Another custom part was the Goalkeeper II combination mount. Has a nice little RAM missile pod to the side. Another thing that must be noted is that the gun in front of the ship is a twin AGS, not a single one. It's my custom designed AGS, I made a twin-turret AGS since I thought 2 independant turrets would be a waste of proper deck space that could be better used with more VLS. Speaking about VLS, some of the VLS you see here is slightly larger; those are for the Anti-Ship Ballistic Missiles described earlier.

Second point, I was trying to find another missile on the parts sheets, the Sea Viper. (I think you all know what the Sea Viper is?) It wasn't on the part sheets but I can be pretty sure at least someone here must have created an SB standard version; it's a quite common missile. If someone has the Sea Viper but has not uploaded it on the part sheet yet, could you please post it below? I'd be grateful.

EDIT: After some more research I was trying to find the Sea Eagle as well. Does anyone have it around here?

Third point; I feel like there still are some details lacking. All advice would be appreciated. I also feel the firing arc of the turrets and weaponary could be more efficient, so if I made some mistakes on that please do tell.

One more thing: the image is for some reason auto-resized. I'll see if I can fix it, but that will be in an edit later on as I currently don't have that much time.

EDIT: Oh, another thing I forgot to add; it might be that some of the colours are off. Certain types of gray just look a lot like eachother. I'll look closely for any mistakes in the colour scheme, but if any of you notice any mistakes, please notify me.

Finally, if there is anything else I did wrong, do tell. I am open to all advice and suggestions.

Cya all, A&D.

Last edited by Andorianus on May 13th, 2011, 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Anghellis Class CruiserPosted: May 12th, 2011, 8:29 pm
Well, for NationStates, it works

[Profile] [Quote]
Andorianus
Post subject: Re: Anghellis Class CruiserPosted: May 12th, 2011, 8:47 pm
Not sure if I should take that as a compliment, lol. ;-)

I am aware NS designs don't have a good reputation here, don't worry.

Yes, this ship was designed for NS from the beginning on, and that means some things will be different from a real world ship. The NS world is huge so nuclear propulsion surely is good. By reducing the amounts of ships in my navy I don't have to buy too many nuclear reactors (which are very expensive) and I can use the ships that do have reactors to full use. (They aren't slowed down by other ships that can't keep up with the nuclear powered ones).

The Anti-Ship Ballistic Missiles are also meant specifically for NS; CIWS in Nationstates is always much stronger and more reliable then real world CIWS so missiles that fly too fast to be stopped sure are of good use; especially against enemy carriers and super-capitol ships (which are also quite common on NS). Plus, as I mentioned before, distances are much longer; that requires long-range missiles, especially if air dominance is not guaranteed.

In case you are familliar with NS designs, this cruiser is meant to be my equivalent of No Endorse's Clipper class.

[Profile] [Quote]
Andorianus
Post subject: Re: Anghellis Class CruiserPosted: May 13th, 2011, 9:47 am
Photobucket auto-resizes images for some reason fully unknown to me. Can anyone tell me how to solve this?

[Profile] [Quote]
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: Anghellis Class CruiserPosted: May 13th, 2011, 9:48 am
Andorianus wrote:
Photobucket auto-resizes images for some reason fully unknown to me. Can anyone tell me how to solve this?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=402

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
Andorianus
Post subject: Re: Anghellis Class CruiserPosted: May 13th, 2011, 10:22 am
Ah, thanks. It will be fixed.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Anghellis Class CruiserPosted: May 13th, 2011, 11:22 am
why an single prop? and why both THALES and AEGIS? and why SPY-1 and SMART-L? AND WHY THE HELL AN IMAST ON TOP OF IT ALL!
ok. back to normal now.... on nationstates this would work. seeing it over here, makes me want to nuke it. FAST!

now my question: do you want to improve this ship and drawing? if so, I will be glad to help. if not, I will stop posting in this topic ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Andorianus
Post subject: Re: Anghellis Class CruiserPosted: May 13th, 2011, 11:55 am
acelanceloet wrote:
why an single prop? and why both THALES and AEGIS? and why SPY-1 and SMART-L? AND WHY THE HELL AN IMAST ON TOP OF IT ALL!
ok. back to normal now.... on nationstates this would work. seeing it over here, makes me want to nuke it. FAST!
Lol, okay okay! :) Excuse me for my extreme noobishness. Y'see, I'm new to SB, and new to naval architecture in general.

At first I wanted azipods instead of this single prop. They proved very difficult to draw realistically, as they more like "hang" under the normal ship hull, as if they are not connected. But I think I shall try again. PS: Just realised there is no bow thruster either, but I won't need those with azipods, right?

Here's some explaination on the radars, even though I probably already know I'm very wrong on this:

-I suppose that with THALES you mean the radar above the bridge? My apologies, I thought that part was a navigation radar. I'll remove it and replace it with a real nav radar. What part is AEGIS though? The targeting radars?
-I thought SPY-1 was for searching ships, while SMART-L was for searching aircraft. Are they both for searching aircraft then?
-As for the I mast, I thought I mas is for communications and for searching ships.

This should give you an idea of how much my knowledge of radar and equipment sucks. What should I do instead?
Quote:
now my question: do you want to improve this ship and drawing? if so, I will be glad to help. if not, I will stop posting in this topic ;)
You bet I want to improve this. I gladly accept your offer to help.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Anghellis Class CruiserPosted: May 13th, 2011, 12:08 pm
short list:
Thales is the company that makes for example the SMART-L, the I-mast and the goalkeeper. it is rather weird (but possible) to have US stuff and dutch stuff on one ship. as I said, it is possible, but overlapsing functions and systems from different time era's won't help ;)

SMART-L and SPY-1 are both air search radar, and the SMILE(the largest plate on the I-mast) is one as well.

I suggest you the following: look for an country you wan't your system based on, and I'll help putting on the right stuff.

[Profile] [Quote]
Andorianus
Post subject: Re: Anghellis Class CruiserPosted: May 13th, 2011, 4:19 pm
I... uh...

Okay, let me put it this way. Although I used Zeven Provincien as an example for this (being a Dutchman, I quite like that ship) and copied most of its sensors. But I wanted this to be the most practical, and that is why I mixed different types of systems.

To be frank my doctrine is based of Russia, but as you can see here none of my equipment is Russian. Since the fall of the Union Russia has been unable to keep up with the new advancements in missile and stealth technology, or so it appears. Therefore, most equipment here is from various NATO countries, but Thales equipment is dominant.

That said... what would be the most practical for this? I really have no idea. The SMILE however seems to be less powerful then the top-plate and the SPY-1 (it is smaller), and the SPY-1 is older so it might be less powerful too. On the other hand, top-plate rotates which might cause an increase in radar cross section. But that is only a noob's guess.

Eh, top-plate be any good?

Last edited by Andorianus on June 18th, 2011, 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 20  [ 196 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 520 »

Jump to: