Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 5  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 17th, 2011, 4:27 am
Rodondo wrote:
Carthaginian wrote:
bezobrazov wrote:
Firstly, there's nothing such as 'Her Majesty's Victorian Ship'!
There WAS a such as H.M.V.S. as a ship prefix- as observed by this ship's preservation website.
http://www.cerberus.com.au/

Her Majesty's Victorian Ship was the official title of a ship in the Victorian Navy. In this case, 'Victorian' does NOT refer to the Queen of England, it instead refers to the Australian territory named after her. There was also H.M.Q.S. (Her Majesty's Queensland Ship) used prior to the federation of the Australian territories.
While the ship was paid for by the Admiralty (80%), it was given to the Victorian government for defense of the coast, if it was to do anything else, it came back under Admiralty orders. In it's service life it barely ever left Port Phillip bay, so it never was under the Admiralty. Not sure though....?
As far as the sources I have (Conways, many websites) the vessel was strictly in service with the Her Majesty's Victorian Navy. You're right in that it was very static- it only left Port Philip Bay for gunnery practice as far as I can find. So, H.M.S. would actually be incorrect for this ship.

Closest thing I can compare this to is a U.S. National Guard Unit- while we are part of the 'Big Army' in wartime, we are always listed as "XXXth UNIT NAME, HOME STATE National Guard."

[Profile] [Quote]
squizzy
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 17th, 2011, 9:44 am
Hi Rodondo and welcome to SB. Just let you know that I did the same vessel 2 years ago in the old forum but it was later rejected for adding to the real ships archive http://z11.invisionfree.com/shipbucket/ ... topic=2009 if you need any help in it be free to contact me as i have allot of references that will help you in finishing it off and be rightfully excepted in the real ships archive.

"The British Air Farce have droopped their bums on the water works..They have scored a direct hot on the pimps"- British agent/gendarme Officer Crabtree, "Allo,Allo."

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 17th, 2011, 10:03 am
Thanks for the welcome, The image has been deleted but it's nice to know others have done it as well (Portsmouth Bill). I just need details about the underwater hull and the upper works between the turrets and around the funnel

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
squizzy
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 17th, 2011, 10:08 am
Rodondo wrote:
Thanks for the welcome, The image has been deleted but it's nice to know others have done it as well (Portsmouth Bill). I just need details about the underwater hull and the upper works between the turrets and around the funnel
Theres 2 pages if you look on bottom of 1st part n click on 2 you'll see them there it also includes the underwater hull too in Addition to the Mumbai/Bombay guard ship HMS Mangala too

"The British Air Farce have droopped their bums on the water works..They have scored a direct hot on the pimps"- British agent/gendarme Officer Crabtree, "Allo,Allo."

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 17th, 2011, 10:20 am
Thanks, These are good references for the details mentioned (why didn't I look down! *Face in hands*)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 17th, 2011, 1:12 pm
Quote:
Hi Rodondo and welcome to SB. Just let you know that I did the same vessel 2 years ago in the old forum but it was later rejected for adding to the real ships archive
Hi Squizzy, I wasn't aware that your version was rejected for good; maybe it was sent back for further improvements? I have a folder of ships never resubmitted, but couldn't find it there, though I do have your Cerebus class still in there. It seems a shame that we get drawings that end up not being resubmitted :(

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 21st, 2011, 12:22 pm
Okay, nearly there, just need to do the following.

*The boats and davits
*rails
*area aft of the funnel
*flags etc
*anything else? (Might get around to doing the under the waterline as well)

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 21st, 2011, 12:27 pm
shading, and you might want to make the hull colour a bit lighter, and the structure colour a bit darker. also, an underwater hull would look great...

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 21st, 2011, 12:34 pm
Yeah at this size(100%) the hull looks entirely black and the superstructure is transparent (next edit then?), Yeah I suppose I'll do the above waterline hull first then start on the under section

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: HMVS Cerebus, Breastwork MonitorPosted: May 22nd, 2011, 8:33 am
[ img ]
Okay edit 2.1 still a bit to go (10%)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 5  [ 44 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: