Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: First freehand drawing--very WIPish.Posted: May 27th, 2011, 7:31 am
[ img ]

With the Pallamaran AU to soon wrap up for a time, I decided to try my hand at drawing a design from scratch as a learning exercise. I chose a turretship based on the Chinese Zhenyuang design, with some of my own modifications, though this is certainly not intended to depict that vessel.

I'm basing the turrets off those on HMS Inflexible, though they may well be too large for this layout of vessel, but that explains the relative size--I may change the layout of them and go for large, dome-like ones. Any constructive criticism will be appreciated, as this is my first attempt at freehand.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: First freehand drawing--very WIPish.Posted: May 27th, 2011, 7:40 am
There's not a lot to work with here, however the turrets(?) on the ends won't work. In the stern you have the steering gear right underneath it, in the bow you have chain lockers and other stuff right underneath it, and unless the hull is tanker like full there won't be enough volume ven without the anchor gear.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: First freehand drawing--very WIPish.Posted: May 27th, 2011, 8:05 am
[ img ]

[ img ]

This is what I'm working from, which clearly shows the turrets on the extreme ends, I suspect that's made possible by the fact these aren't like later turrets that had barbettes underneath them.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: First freehand drawing--very WIPish.Posted: May 27th, 2011, 2:27 pm
phew, glad I didn't comment then :p

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: First freehand drawing--very WIPish.Posted: May 27th, 2011, 7:24 pm
[ img ]

Progress is rather slow. I'm trying the dome shaped turrets, and my own take on that early torpedo launch. (I assume it uses a spar torpedo, as opposed to an automotive torpedo, as they were called at the time)

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: First freehand drawing--very WIPish.Posted: May 27th, 2011, 7:30 pm
either automotive or just 'whitehead' torpedo.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: First freehand drawing--very WIPish.Posted: May 27th, 2011, 11:57 pm
I am doing a similar ship, with very similar turrets to the Chinese model, you can borrow those if you want (with proper creditation of course
;) )

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: First freehand drawing--very WIPish.Posted: May 28th, 2011, 1:31 am
That's a fine ship, and it helped gave me inspiration to try my own hand at it, but the point of this particuliar exercise is to see what I'm capable of without kitbashing (believe me, it's not easy to suppress the inclination), so I must decline. The offer is, however, most appreciated.

The turrets are intended to be a combination of those on Inflexible, and the dome-like ones on the German Odin or Brandenburg Class.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: First freehand drawing--very WIPish.Posted: May 28th, 2011, 1:34 am
Ok, look forwards to seeing it done, we need more minor naval monitors! ;D

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: First freehand drawing--very WIPish.Posted: May 28th, 2011, 1:42 am
Rodondo wrote:
I am doing a similar ship, with very similar turrets to the Chinese model, you can borrow those if you want (with proper creditation of course
;) )
I don't think the turrets are compatible.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: