Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: May 30th, 2011, 12:59 pm
An impressive first drawing, and welcome aboard :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: May 30th, 2011, 2:23 pm
Pretty sure ace was interested in doing something like this. For a first upload I'm impressed!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: May 30th, 2011, 6:55 pm
I believe we are looking at this one?
[ img ]
drawing wise good work, ship wise I have some comments
- first of all, I think we are looking at an catamaran SWATH ship, based on an enlarged sea shadow (also of lockheed). that would mean we would have 2 hulls with 'floats' at the end, instead of the trimaran hull you seem to have.
- those walkways and the RHIB bay seriously mess with the stealth..... maybe better to remove those or put them at another position with stealth panels over them.
- the navigation mast is in an very bad position and blocks the upper flight deck which seems to be there.
- 2 different deck heights: the large door in the bow is higher then the space the UCAV is landing on.
- the wings of the UCAV can't fold that way. maybe look at the picture above for help on that
- the UCAV's look larger on my image, but as I have no other refs (and maybe the ship is just larger) I can not be sure about that. is it possible to show some of your references/information, as I was planning to do this one one day if I found enough information, and I am quite interested in it.

btw, haven't you taken the navigation mast from another drawing, because I see that Darkproxy's ship has almost the same (but less detailed) mast, and it seems like one of you has taken parts from the other. I know you guys work toghether, but still it is nice to credit each others parts..... although I don't know if it's large enough to justify that.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: May 30th, 2011, 9:27 pm
I would expect something more like the retractable 'railings' on a CVN elevator edge.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Scifibug
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: June 2nd, 2011, 5:17 pm
Very intresting concept!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: June 2nd, 2011, 5:19 pm
ow, and re the railings: I suppose there are no railings on the upper deck, as it is only used by UCAV's.... and maybe pop-up railings or foldable bulwarks or something on the stern helideck, as that one is used by manned helicopters I suppose.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: June 2nd, 2011, 5:41 pm
Even without pilots you still need ground crew to secure them when they land.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: June 2nd, 2011, 5:59 pm
hmm that's true..... but what if on top is only an runway with elevators astern? the crew works in the 'stealth' part, the aircraft is elevated to the top and takes of....
that would work better then the 'takeoff hatch' at the bow, IMO.

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: Lockheed Martin Advanced Assault Ship ConceptPosted: June 2nd, 2011, 7:54 pm
Hood wrote:
Firstly, welcome aboard ONI-Defense.

Second, great work, although a newbie this guy has drawn a pretty good SB ship and I can see few style errors. That's always a good start.
I remember the Stealth Ship from the 1990s when I was a lad, it seemed to die away very quickly and somehow seemed rather dated comapred to the stealth faceting now in use on modern warships. The hull seems very capacious and I like the overall concept. The side VTOL panels seemed to have been used on some of the AVPRO concepts in the late 90s too.

My only nitpick would be the railings, yes they are essential for safe operation on the flightdeck atop the ship bt they would have an effect on the stealth aspects.

I look forward to more drawings!

Thanks, I'm glad to be here.

Yeah, I the railings on it were my guesswork, but eh, mistakes are mistakes, best to learn from them. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: