Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 9 of 12  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page « 17 8 9 10 11 12 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Advanced Battleship (BBN)Posted: June 23rd, 2011, 10:05 pm
theory remains the same. better said, if they aren't perfectly spherical (at least the part that is above the deck) your ideas won't work any better. it seems to me that you are trying to mix aircraft and ship stealth, 2 things which are completely different.
and if you can show me one operational ship that use RAM's and is succesful with it, I will gladly agree with you. as far as I know, there is none.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Advanced Battleship (BBN)Posted: June 23rd, 2011, 10:10 pm
CATZ wrote:
Thiel wrote:
You're not going to be able to mount an effective nuclear deterrent with this thing. It's too easy to counter, hence why no-one has has relied on surface ships as the carrier since SLBMs became possible.
Additionally neither the W9, W19, W33 or W48 warheads had the yield to take out the any kind of hardened structure necessary for a effective deterrent.
You also don't have the range. You're unlikely to make it to within effective range of anything important without getting spotted.
Lastly, artillery shells are not that hard to intercept effectively with existing technology.
If it was the only nuclear asset that might be true. Notice I never made any claims about relying on such an asset as a nuclear deterrence. In fact, at the end of that posts, I stated that in conjunction with missile submarines.
Then why bother with this ship at all then? Nuke shells will, due to their rather extreme handling requirements, eat up magazine space like there's no tomorrow, magazine space you're going to need for NGFS.
A deterrent that can be effectively countered is no deterrent at all.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
CATZ
Post subject: Re: Advanced Battleship (BBN)Posted: June 23rd, 2011, 10:22 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
theory remains the same. better said, if they aren't perfectly spherical (at least the part that is above the deck) your ideas won't work any better. it seems to me that you are trying to mix aircraft and ship stealth, 2 things which are completely different.
and if you can show me one operational ship that use RAM's and is successful with it, I will gladly agree with you. as far as I know, there is none.
Perfectly rounded is a pointless statement to make, since perfectly isn't defined by your statement? How close is perfectly? Perfect down to the nanometer? Micrometer? The truth is that it doesn't matter, since it doesn't need to be perfectly curved beyond what is possible with modern construction techniques, because of that, your statement makes no sense realistically.

All stealth technology relies on properly curved surfaces. If what you said was true, then stealth technology would work correctly.

I can however tell you, that the surfaces of said turrets (and most of the rest of the ship) will have a layer of titanium aluminum nitride (TiAlN) about 3 µm thick coated over it in alternating layers, and that the structure of the ship itself is mostly composed of various composites (probably with a steel keel). The main composite would be polyvinyl chloride with a carbon fibre and vinyl laminate with the second most abundant most likely being glass-reinforced plastic (E & S-Glass epoxy composites.) Behind the composites would be panels filled with carbon dust and separate panels of silicon carbide foam.

Other than that, a rounded turret isn't aircraft stealth since aircraft cannot be giant spheres. Have you ever seen a giant ball flying around? No, therefore your statement is pretty ludicrous. Furthermore, there is no difference between aircraft stealth and ship stealth. The difference is in the construction techniques. Ships still use RAM, despite what you believe. And they use various angled design schemes intended to reduce their RCS, like aircraft do. The fundamental problem here, comes from your misunderstanding of stealth technology.

Last edited by CATZ on June 24th, 2011, 5:52 am, edited 14 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
CATZ
Post subject: Re: Advanced Battleship (BBN)Posted: June 23rd, 2011, 10:24 pm
Thiel wrote:
CATZ wrote:
Thiel wrote:
You're not going to be able to mount an effective nuclear deterrent with this thing. It's too easy to counter, hence why no-one has has relied on surface ships as the carrier since SLBMs became possible.
Additionally neither the W9, W19, W33 or W48 warheads had the yield to take out the any kind of hardened structure necessary for a effective deterrent.
You also don't have the range. You're unlikely to make it to within effective range of anything important without getting spotted.
Lastly, artillery shells are not that hard to intercept effectively with existing technology.
If it was the only nuclear asset that might be true. Notice I never made any claims about relying on such an asset as a nuclear deterrence. In fact, at the end of that posts, I stated that in conjunction with missile submarines.
Then why bother with this ship at all then? Nuke shells will, due to their rather extreme handling requirements, eat up magazine space like there's no tomorrow, magazine space you're going to need for NGFS.
A deterrent that can be effectively countered is no deterrent at all.
DARPA had done a feasibility study on a sixteen inch mass-fraction projectile with around 200 to 270 nautical miles of range. So conventional artillery isn't all that relevant when speaking in modern terms. Especially with the advent of the Advanced Gun System.

In addition, Pratt and Whitney conceptualized a sixteen inch gun compatible ram-jet assisted round with a range close to 400 nautical miles.

Furthermore, U.S & Marine Corps 155mm artillery shells have rarely been intercepted. In order to do so, you have to have SAM or CIWS assets in the area with the proper means for detecting the shells. If an airstrike crippled radar-installations ahead of time, that's further impacted. The main issue with intercepting artillery shells in this type of scenario, is that the ship can just reload and fire more. 12 at a time for the BBG and 9 at a time for the BB(X). Of which some might be dummy or decoy rounds.

So really, the ability to get into range, depends on what you want to hit, and how close you have to come to do so.

Realistically, Hong Kong is only 353 nautical miles from Taiwan. And thats assuming that the ship only operates out of friendly/allied waters.

What this comes down to, is the ability to fire the nuclear tipped shells in the first place. A Tactical-Tomahawk for instance can be armed with a nuclear warhead. However, obviously they aren't used for that exclusively. But they are a nuclear deterrence. It's the same situation here. If the ship is already going to be in range while conducting conventional operations for instance, it's still a nuclear deterrent, because it has the ability to fire 120 (90 for the BBX) nuclear shots in a single minute. That might be enough to keep China from attempting to launch a nuclear strike (depending on the considerations of this hypothetical scenario) in a contested straits of Taiwan scenario. That of course is more about the BB(X) concept than this Russian derived BBG, which for my AU was designed as a weapon for use against the U.S. However the BB(X) was designed with operations against North Korea & China in mind.

So realistically, in terms of nuclear deterrence, a nuclear bomb is a nuclear deterrent. But a bomber can be countered. Therefore is a B-52 carrying a nuclear bomb no longer a nuclear deterrent? Of course it is. Whether it can be countered has little to do with if it is countered in a realistic scenario.

Last edited by CATZ on June 23rd, 2011, 11:04 pm, edited 10 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Advanced Battleship (BBN)Posted: June 23rd, 2011, 10:30 pm
Thiel wrote:
KimWerner wrote:
Thiel wrote:
Like I said, nobody has surrendered to Naval gunfire alone. Copenhagen were encircled by the British Army and the only Danish army units, mostly levy troops, within reach were defeated while on the march. The rest of the Army were far away in souther Jutland preparing to defend us against Napoleon if that were to become necessary and wouldn't be able to return to Zealand until winter when the Belts froze over.
Sorry, I missed the word "naval", but for sure it was the bombardment from both sea and land - used as a weapon of terror - that forced the capitulation. ;)
Not really. The closest thing you can come to a deciding factor is the fact that Copenhagen were encircled and didn't have the supplies to last until winter set in. The bombardment certainly helped speed things along, but it alone wouldn't have done the job.
That we will never know. The sources of that time tells of horrifying fear amongst the inhibitants, which was to a great concern for the crown prince (the later king Frederik the VI).

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
CATZ
Post subject: Re: Advanced Battleship (BBN)Posted: June 23rd, 2011, 11:01 pm
Quote:
and if you can show me one operational ship that use RAM's and is succesful with it, I will gladly agree with you. as far as I know, there is none.
Visby Class
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visby_class_corvette

La Fayette Class
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Fayette_class_frigate

Skjold Class PB
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skjold_class_patrol_boat

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Advanced Battleship (BBN)Posted: June 23rd, 2011, 11:02 pm
Swedish
French
Norwegian

Seeing a trend?

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
CATZ
Post subject: Re: Advanced Battleship (BBN)Posted: June 23rd, 2011, 11:41 pm
Rodondo wrote:
Swedish
French
Norwegian

Seeing a trend?
Not really.

USS San Antonio Class
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_San_An ... 8LPD-17%29

Arleigh Burke Class
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arleigh_Bu ... _destroyer

And ships that have yet to launch-

DDG-1000
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Zumwalt_%28DDG-1000%29

And most likely,

Admiral Sergey Gorshkov Class
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_Se ... ss_frigate

[Profile] [Quote]
CATZ
Post subject: Re: Advanced Battleship (BBN)Posted: June 24th, 2011, 3:33 am
[ img ]

Further revised, bringing it closer to what was originally envisioned.

Deckhouse design credit goes to Rabid Stoat, from his BB-21 concept.

[Profile] [Quote]
CATZ
Post subject: Re: Advanced Battleship (BBN)Posted: June 24th, 2011, 3:59 am
Summa Interitum Class, Disputed Territories, Advanced Battleship laid down 2010

Displacement: (W/ level A bubble-jet projection)
88,210 t light; 94,268 t standard; 101,721 t normal; 107,684 t full load

Dimensions: Length overall / water x beam x draught
1,020.67 ft / 1,020.67 ft x 131.00 ft x 36.08 ft (normal load)
311.10 m / 311.10 m x 39.93 m x 11.00 m

Armament:
12 - 20.10" L70 / 511 mm guns (3x4 guns), 4,000.00lbs / 1,814.37kg shells, 2000 Model
Breech loading, automatic, long recoil operated w/ muzzle booster short recoil assistance, smooth-bore, liquid regenerative propellant assisted, liquid cooled barrels, retractable barrels; guns in turrets on centreline ends, majority forward, 1 raised mount - superfiring

28 - 6.10" / 155 mm L70 guns in twin mounts, retractable barrels, 113.62lbs / 51.54kg shells, 2000 Model
Dual purpose guns in turrets
on side, all amidships

Weight of broadside: 51,905 lbs / 23,544 kg
Shells per gun, main battery: 290

8 - 30mm L54 AK-630 in stealth turrets (retractable mounts)

12 - 57mm L75 AK-725 in 6 turrets (retractable barrels)

2 - Laser Kashtan CIWS, (retractable mounts)

2 - Osa-M SAM arm launchers, (retractable mounts)

8 - RBU-12000 ASW rocket-launchers, (retractable mounts)

150 - Multi-mission Module VLS cells, accommodating;

SA-N-22 Greyhound (16 per cell)
SA-N-20 Gargoyle (4 per cell)
SA-N-21 Growler (4 per cell)
SA-N-12 Gladiator (4 per cell)
SA-N-9 Gauntlet (8 per cell)
SA-N-6 Grumble (8 per cell)
SA-N-7 Gadfly (12 per cell)
3M-54E Klub (2 per cell)
3M-54E1 Klub (2 per cell)
3M-14E Klub (2 per cell)
91RE2 Klub (2 per cell)
SC-19 ASAT/ABM derivative (1 per cell)
SS-N-29 ASW missile
SS-N-26 Oniks (1 per cell)
-or-
BrahMos (1 per cell)

12 - Reloadable ALS cells; w/ 40 to 60 SS-N-19 Shipwreck AShM reloads

32 - 533mm reloadable Above-water torpedo launchers, accommodating;

53-65K
Shkval

16 - 650mm Submerged torpedo tubes

65-76 "Kit"
53-65K
Shkval
91RE1 Klub
P-100 Oniks

Armour: (Kevlar & Glass reinforced plastic)
- Gun armour: Face (max) Other gunhouse (avg) Barbette/hoist (max)
Main: 1.50" / 38 mm 1.50" / 38 mm 1.50" / 38 mm
2nd: 1.50" / 38 mm 1.50" / 38 mm 1.50" / 38 mm

Machinery:
Nuclear fired boilers, four; thorium fueled, liquid helium cooled reactors, steam turbines, COGAS axillary propulsion,
Electric cruising motors plus geared drives, 6 shafts, 291,551 shp / 217,497 Kw = 32.00 kts
Range unlimited at 32 kts (Nuclear)
Range 8,000nm at 21.00 kts (COGAS)
Bunker at max displacement = 13,291 tons

Complement:
808 - 1,651

Cost:
$9.49 billion

Distribution of weights at normal displacement:
Armament: 4,727 tons, 4.7 %
Armour: 1,067 tons, 1.1 %
- Belts: 0 tons, 0.0 %
- Torpedo bulkhead: 0 tons, 0.0 %
- Armament: 1,067 tons, 1.1 %
- Armour Deck: 0 tons, 0.0 %
- Conning Tower: 0 tons, 0.0 %
Machinery: 6,975 tons, 7.0 %
Hull, fittings & equipment: 71,008 tons, 71.1 %
Fuel, ammunition & stores: 13,405 tons, 13.4 %
Miscellaneous weights: 2,700 tons, 2.7 %

Overall survivability and seakeeping ability:
Survivability (Non-critical penetrating hits needed to sink ship):
171,923 lbs / 77,983 Kg = 43.0 x 20.0 " / 508 mm shells or 7.8 torpedoes
Stability (Unstable if below 1.00): 1.09
Metacentric height 8.9 ft / 2.7 m
Roll period: 18.4 seconds
Steadiness - As gun platform (Average = 50 %): 71 %
- Recoil effect (Restricted arc if above 1.00): 0.90
Seaboat quality (Average = 1.00): 1.23

Hull form characteristics:
Hull has a flush deck
and transom stern
Block coefficient: 0.749
Length to Beam Ratio: 7.54 : 1
'Natural speed' for length: 35.80 kts
Power going to wave formation at top speed: 53 %
Trim (Max stability = 0, Max steadiness = 100): 58
Bow angle (Positive = bow angles forward): -67.00 degrees
Stern overhang: 0.00 ft / 0.00 m
Freeboard (% = measuring location as a percentage of overall length):
- Stem: 34.57 ft / 10.54 m
- Forecastle (20 %): 34.00 ft / 10.36 m
- Mid (50 %): 34.00 ft / 10.36 m
- Quarterdeck (15 %): 34.00 ft / 10.36 m
- Stern: 34.00 ft / 10.36 m
- Average freeboard: 34.05 ft / 10.38 m
Ship tends to be wet forward

Ship space, strength and comments:
Space - Hull below water (magazines/engines, low = better): 63.8 %
- Above water (accommodation/working, high = better): 260.9 %
Waterplane Area: 113,142 Square feet or 10,511 Square metres
Displacement factor (Displacement / loading): 180 %
Structure weight / hull surface area: 471 lbs/sq ft or 2,299 Kg/sq metre
Hull strength (Relative):
- Cross-sectional: 1.92
- Longitudinal: 2.80
- Overall: 2.00
Hull space for machinery, storage, compartmentation is excellent
Room for accommodation and workspaces is excellent
Ship has slow, easy roll, a good, steady gun platform
Good seaboat, rides out heavy weather easily

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 9 of 12  [ 118 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 17 8 9 10 11 12 »

Jump to: