Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 11  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 511 »
Canadai
Post subject: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 1:19 am
I'm new.

What a brilliant first sentence. So anyways, I drew this for my NS nation.
Old Attempt

It kind of sucks. I wasn't sure if I should put Various Artists, but I used a good bit of partsheet parts and figured I should play it safe. It's designed for all-around coastal defense. Thoughts? Criticism? Embarrassing newb mistakes?
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Let's try this again. Current model:
-attached-

Last edited by Canadai on August 28th, 2010, 6:15 am, edited 12 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 1:23 am
Wrong directors, weird hull shape, weird looking exhaust and very basic hull shape with no detail at all. I'll let more experienced members find the rest of the problems.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 1:25 am
ezgo394 wrote:
Wrong directors, weird hull shape, weird looking exhaust and very basic hull shape with no detail at all. I'll let more experienced members find the rest of the problems.
Like I said, it kind of sucks. I'll be improving it though.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 1:29 am
Just take a look at a lot of the small ships that have been done, and you can see where you need to fix stuff.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 1:34 am
What would you suggest, specifically?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 1:45 am
You're new, so it's worth going easy on.

You know, I've been meaning to make a tutorial on how to actually do a ship proper, but making multiple slides to show the step-by-step process is kind of a pain in the ass. But I just thought of an idea I think I'll try right this instant.

You want to make a coastal patrol ship, and you have...the length right, more or less. So try drawing a hull, just a blank hull, nothing on it, not even propellors, and come back. I'll tell you if it's right or not.

Trust me, you need it. What you have now...there is nothing redeemable about it whatsoever, unless you were to forget a five year old's signature onto it.

I'm serious.

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 1:57 am
[ img ]
Just a hull.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 2:10 am
Canadai wrote:
[ img ]
Just a hull.
Ok, that's a lot better, but it's still kinda goofy-looking. Too much...foc'sle sweep? (dunno what the technical term is). Have about 3/4 of the deck at least be level, if not 4/5s.

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 2:26 am
[ img ]
Better?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 3:11 am
Much better.

Now, time to go ahead and add in the waterline. I'd say, right where at the stern, where the line has an obvious transition (the second curve, counting from the top) - right where it makes the angle, draw a straight line all the way to the rest of the ship. Make sure that line is a dark gray, not black. Immediately above and below that line, you're going to draw two black lines. That's your waterline.

Now, this is where it's probably best to think about your propulsion - i.e., funnels. On a modern ship, it can get rather complicated - we have a lot of different propulsion options. For a ship like this, I suppose diesels would be the most common but turbines aren't illogical, especially if high dash speed is what you're looking for. But that's getting into too much detail.

Anyway, go ahead and draw a funnel, about midships but with an aft bias. Make sure the funnel is tall, and kind of angular. If you need to, look through the database for examples (most nations you haven't heard of will use ships like this) - there is also an excellent example in the Real forum, the Mexican Oxacana or whatever class.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 11  [ 105 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 511 »

Jump to: