Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 11  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 711 »
didibii
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 11:32 am
i love it when someone new comes its so fun helping them if you dont have much to do...

2.Mary celeste (All most done 40% completed)
4.German CV europa (dont know if i should do it)

[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 11:39 am
For a first effort it's looking quite good, however, I'd suggest that you will look closely at other ships from the archive, or main site to see where the propellers and rudder should be placed. As it is they are too far towards the stern (back-end of the ship) and are quite ineffective (hydrodinamics maybe Eric_T or Thiel can explain that better).
The flag-pole is situated badly, as most warships have a flag-stuff at the stern, or it is hang from the mast (which is sorely lacking in your ship). The said mast is used also for placing search radars (air and surface, or at the very least, anavigational radar), radio aerials and other stuffseen in ships (again looking at the other ships made by more the expirienced members).
The bridge structure in most ships have overhanging wings, which are used mainly for docking, and restricted waters navigation, and it should be added here.
Your fire control 'egg' I believe is too low to be realy effective, while the other FC radar is much higher.
The 76mm gun is too close to the bows and will sufferas consequence from heavy seas breaking over the bows, and I suggest moving it a little towards the bridge.
That is all I can think of now.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 11:57 am
[ img ]
Last update for tonight. Added another Penguin, changed the funnel situation around a bit, and moved the directors. Also shortened the hangar a few feet to accommodate the new Penguin.

I'll update with Novice's suggestions tomorrow. The fire control egg fixed itself.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 12:07 pm
didibii wrote:
i love it when someone new comes its so fun helping them if you dont have much to do...
sorry to say, but you are still an newbe too.... I even consider myself a newbe in some parts of ship design... but that's another story. why don't you practise a bit instead of helping other new guys, then maybe you will find yourself as one of the good designers out here ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
didibii
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 12:23 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
didibii wrote:
sorry to say, but you are still an newbe too.... I even consider myself a newbe in some parts of ship design... but that's another story. why don't you practise a bit instead of helping other new guys, then maybe you will find yourself as one of the good designers out here ;)
im not planing helping people right now... i have alot to do and draw and i dont know much yet :P
and yes i am a newbie lol but have followed the forum for few mounths befor i joined. but still a noob lol :)
the ship drawing that really got me interisted here was i think a CV that you drew i cant remember it well but i think it was the first version of you CV.

2.Mary celeste (All most done 40% completed)
4.German CV europa (dont know if i should do it)

[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 1:22 pm
If you'd post it as an attachment so I can see it, I'd like to give a few comments.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 6:35 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
if you have an hangar only for an UAV, I would rather have no hangar at all...
Don't listen to this this is bad advice.

See, this is why I hate so many cooks coming here to stir the broth - you get a bunch of lousy advice from people who frankly are still learning themselves. Listen to Thiel, TimothyC and erik_t because they actually know what they're talking about - the last two are engineers and the first one actually serves in the Merchant Marine. I don't know Novice's background, but he's given nothing but sound advice too.

Anyway, if you're going to field helicopters, having a hangar is a nifty thing. It gives maintenance facilities on-board ship, a nice working space for crews. I've been around enough guys who work on aircraft, including a good friend who is a Marine helicopter tech, and if you told him he doesn't need a hangar, he'll punch you in the face (bear in mind, he's a MARINE) and I'll freakin' help him.

Don't worry about manned vs. unmanned. You get what you need to achieve the mission with. Unmanned helicopters provide a nice, steady camera platform in essence - they can loiter for long periods of time and monitor sea activity. This is exactly the mission a vessel like this performs. Sure, you can have a manned helicopter if you want, but I'd rather just expand the hull to accommodate it rather than sacrifice a hangar so you can get a bigger helipad.

Plus, drones like hangars. A hangared drone is a happy drone.

Other than that, I'll see what other advice and progress you've had.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 6:45 pm
klagldsf wrote:
acelanceloet wrote:
if you have an hangar only for an UAV, I would rather have no hangar at all...
Don't listen to this this is bad advice.

See, this is why I hate so many cooks coming here to stir the broth - you get a bunch of lousy advice from people who frankly are still learning themselves. Listen to Thiel, TimothyC and erik_t because they actually know what they're talking about - the last two are engineers and the first one actually serves in the Merchant Marine. I don't know Novice's background, but he's given nothing but sound advice too.

Anyway, if you're going to field helicopters, having a hangar is a nifty thing. It gives maintenance facilities on-board ship, a nice working space for crews. I've been around enough guys who work on aircraft, including a good friend who is a Marine helicopter tech, and if you told him he doesn't need a hangar, he'll punch you in the face (bear in mind, he's a MARINE) and I'll freakin' help him.

Don't worry about manned vs. unmanned. You get what you need to achieve the mission with. Unmanned helicopters provide a nice, steady camera platform in essence - they can loiter for long periods of time and monitor sea activity. This is exactly the mission a vessel like this performs. Sure, you can have a manned helicopter if you want, but I'd rather just expand the hull to accommodate it rather than sacrifice a hangar so you can get a bigger helipad.

Plus, drones like hangars. A hangared drone is a happy drone.

Other than that, I'll see what other advice and progress you've had.
I was mistaken... I meant he needed an smaller hangar for the UAV's and an larger helipad for manned ones to drop on.... but not to be carried, or that he better removed the entire heliplatform..... but well, as you say, I'm still learning, I might be wrong on this, but I hope that my other comments were better ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 6:50 pm
...having a helipad large enough for a manned helicopter to "drop on" isn't strictly necessary - in fact most patrol vessels still go about their business with having no helipad at all. If you need to drop personnel or supplies off for some reason (which would be so rare as to be unheard of in situations outside of a crewmember having a sudden medical emergency the onboard sickbay is ill-equipped to deal with - otherwise you just dock at port) you just hover above the target ship and, well, drop them down (more delicate than how I describe, obviously).

Anyway, the larger the hangar, the better - as long as it's within reason, i.e., it doesn't become ludicrous and interfere with other ship's operations - that is, unless it is the focal point of ship's operations, but then we'd call that an aircraft carrier. This is why the OHPs are still nifty - they have a large helicopter hangar on a 3000 ton ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 6:57 pm
klagldsf wrote:
Listen to Thiel, TimothyC and erik_t because they actually know what they're talking about - the last two are engineers and the first one actually serves in the Merchant Marine.
For the record, I'm an engineering Student, not a full engineer, and I would not claim to be until after I graduate and take the certification tests.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 11  [ 105 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 711 »

Jump to: