Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 11  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 811 »
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 6:59 pm
Ok, I'm awake, slightly groggy but working on it. I should have most suggestions incorporated relatively soon.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 7:06 pm
TimothyC wrote:
klagldsf wrote:
Listen to Thiel, TimothyC and erik_t because they actually know what they're talking about - the last two are engineers and the first one actually serves in the Merchant Marine.
For the record, I'm an engineering Student, not a full engineer, and I would not claim to be until after I graduate and take the certification tests.
My mistake then. But either way, these three posters give sound advice.

As for the ship itself, I'll take a look at it when you've incorporated the changes. There are a number of suggestions that need to be made. Chief among them is a sensors mast - having directors for the weapons is all fine and dandy but you still need a sensors mast for basic equipment like radios and navigation radar.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 7:09 pm
Actually, that's one of the reasons why the Knud Rasmussen Class OPV have a helipad but no hangar. Obviously, there's also plenty of others, the main being the ability to replenish SAR helicopters to give them a bigger search range.
Of course, the KR class is rather special since it's playing around in the high Arctic, several thousand miles from the nearest RDN base.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 7:13 pm
Some changes made. Uploaded for Thiel.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 7:14 pm
Yeah, Arctic Patrol Vessels are kind of an interesting case. If you've watched Deadliest Catch or hang around the more aviation-savvy fans of the show, well...one of the biggest complaints I keep hearing about the USCG assets based there is a lack of truly adequately-sized shipboard helicopter facilities - that means pads and hangars. I think both the Treasury and Famous classes only have those stupid-ass telescopic hangars, and one of the big deals about the Bertolff class is that they actually bring full-size hangars to the party (as you can see below).

As for the ship as it stands, I think I'm going to try these suggestions:

- the SPG-60 looks awkward as hell. Try SPQ-9B, which is the pyrimidal shaped radar as seen on the mast of this:

[ img ]

Actually, the Bertholf is a good representation of the types of sensors you need, since it does the same mission - it's just a much bigger vessel because it's got a lot more ocean to patrol (IIRC, it's based on a rejected NG proposal for an OHP replacement).

You can also mount it on your own mast, which will free up space and lend a cleaner look to the vessel.

- I would move the Mk 92 eggdome to a halved-version of the mast you have right now for the navigation radar. But what of the navigation radar then? The pyramidal structure you have the eggdome on now, I'd extend that to a "proportional" length - congratulations you now have a main sensors mast. Mount the navigational radar on that, with SPQ-9B

- The Penguin launchers are kinda tricky - where they're mounted now, they could interfere with the helipad, or at the very least, by moving them, you expand the helipad. On the other hand, moving them to the only other good place you have for them - abeam the hangar - will mean that the rocket motors and consequent smoke will interfere with helicopter operations majorly if Penguin is active. I'd bring this up with other posters and see what they think.

- Strictly optional - you may want to elevate the VLS tubes slightly to ensure enough hull space, if nothing else. Play around with it and see what it looks like.

- The underwater hull is a mess but we'll deal with later. Other than that, let's see what it'll look like now.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 7:36 pm
Canadai wrote:
Some changes made. Uploaded for Thiel.
Aouch, this'll take a while.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 7:38 pm
I'd ditch the Mk-41 VLS and use the Mk-56 instead. It's a lower impact mount.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 8:23 pm
I agree, with the proviso that if his navy already has Mk 41 in abundant service, I'd maybe go with the SSDS launcher for supply chain and maintenance commonality.

Note that Canadai's "navigation" set is actually Type 967/968, the Seawolf search/track pairing. Much in excess of what is needed here.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 9:21 pm
Instead of having you start over with the hull, I moved around with it a bit.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 9:57 pm
Hey hey! He needs to learn this stuff on his own :p

Besides I was thinking more this:

[ img ]

Do note that, as I just realized, SPG-60 is capable of acting as a gun director too, so you don't need the eggdome anymore.

Last edited by klagldsf on August 22nd, 2010, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 11  [ 105 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 811 »

Jump to: