Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 6  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Latin Class destroyer.Posted: July 4th, 2011, 1:12 pm
well
If you choose such novel features as to have two really heavy turrets (bear in mind that no DD in real life carried four of the Mark XI's) in the extreme end of the poopdeck, well beyond the propellors and adjoin that wit decreased freedeck in the midship, I bet you must have good and intresting story to share with us. And don't forget to add the tale about the continuing of the forecastle deck well beyond the bridge with something that superficially would look like a deck-house to cover the uptake trunkings but is not really such, as your funnels are well aft of the said structure.

So a a honest question: Do you generally understand what each part of the destroyer is ment to be and more importantly where it is supposed to be? Or do you just throw around items becouse it looks they should be there? If the latter is true, I suggest that you should follow rather loyally some of the many existing destroyer's layouts from the era. Gives you lot better starting.

[Profile] [Quote]
ReiAyanami
Post subject: Re: Latin Class destroyer.Posted: July 4th, 2011, 1:12 pm
Hi there! Well, the thing is, it would be better if you would try to copy real similar ships in order to understand the layout, cause here in this forum where accurancy is everything, even in AUs, this can be tricky. For example, even if you make a none existing ship, if you learn to observe real ships, you can make out by looking easily, lets say a realistic freeboard, superstructure, gun layout and distance from the ship's extremities etc. These things can't really be taught, but they are also easy to learn.
You can level the freeboard in the mid to the one on the stern, also use thiner funnels, and put the aft turrets and the funnels forward, the second at least in the middle. Since this is a destroyer, most of the forward superstructure in actually on the raised forward deck, and there should be a low superstructure beneath the funnels as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Latin Class destroyer.Posted: July 4th, 2011, 1:31 pm
put the funnels a bit further from each other, (move one of them a bit to the bow, preferably) and move the guns a bit to the bow, as the aft one now interferes with the rudder. the TT's : keep the forward one where it is now, and move the other between the funnels.
and for the freeboard: aft it is ok, move the midships deck up to the same level to be perfect ;)

also, I joins gollevainens words, and I think this will become more of an CL/flotilla leader in size and weapons layout.

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Latin Class destroyer.Posted: July 4th, 2011, 1:48 pm
The guns are 4.7'' mark 12's.

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Latin Class destroyer.Posted: July 4th, 2011, 2:17 pm
Sorry.

Try this.

Last edited by APDAF on July 13th, 2011, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Latin Class destroyer.Posted: July 4th, 2011, 2:21 pm
We don't want to put you off, but one of the things you need to consider (as mentioned above) is internal space. One of the most common mistakes with all own designs is that folk don't properly consider what actually goes into the hull, particularly one as here that is a destroyer, so internal space is very limited. The one common error I notice time after time is attempting to place guns/ missile launchers/whatever directly over the stern, were there just isn't any room below decks to accomodate the magazines etc. That space is taken up with the steering gear and other 'gubbins'. As you've now designed the ship it would probably break its back in the first exposure to high sea states, plus it would be at risk of capsizing :cry:

But please persevere; and I would also advise you to do some study on ships internal plans :)

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Latin Class destroyer.Posted: July 4th, 2011, 2:37 pm
Is this better?

Last edited by APDAF on July 13th, 2011, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Latin Class destroyer.Posted: July 4th, 2011, 2:38 pm
I see no difference with the previous version.... and you have done nothing with half the comments made.
EDIT: found the differnce...... that's worse.

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Latin Class destroyer.Posted: July 4th, 2011, 2:43 pm
How can you help me with that?

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Latin Class destroyer.Posted: July 4th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Sorry again.

I need help with life rafts/boats.

Last edited by APDAF on July 13th, 2011, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 6  [ 56 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: