Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 5  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: USS Montana BB-67Posted: July 16th, 2011, 8:42 pm
[ img ]
A slightly other version of Montana (small difference in AA weapons suit & superstructure)
But a very interesting comparaison with Iowa/Missouri BB class (the Montana was virtualy a enlarged version of the Iowa's)

But this drawing appear to be a mistake in term of scall, this Montana was too bigger vs a Iowa :?

Last edited by Colombamike on July 16th, 2011, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USS Montana BB-67Posted: July 16th, 2011, 8:44 pm
what I am always wondering about.... why was the 'bridge around conning tower' of the Iowa's abandoned on the Montana?

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USS Montana BB-67Posted: July 16th, 2011, 8:47 pm
So it has come to this: This is the Montana at the time when she was cancelled, around 1942-1943.
She does have 8 quad Bofors 40 mm and many 20 mm guns.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: USS Montana BB-67Posted: July 16th, 2011, 8:50 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
what I am always wondering about.... why was the 'bridge around conning tower' of the Iowa's abandoned on the Montana?
Better protection for Officer and Crews in event of a large/HEAVY GUN BATTLE again future very large German or Japanese Battleships.
Crews was forced to "move" into the heavily armored coning tower for a better protection.

A 15/16" or a 18" shell can very easily "blow-up" almost the entire (unprotected/unarmored) bridge in event of a full direct hit....

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: USS Montana BB-67Posted: July 16th, 2011, 8:54 pm
Karle94 wrote:
So it has come to this: This is the Montana at the time when she was cancelled, around 1942-1943.
She does have 8 quad Bofors 40 mm and many 20 mm guns.
Hmmm, look WRONG

Remenber your the Shipbucket Guideline
4.2 Lines
Shipbucket drawings are made of different lines which make the silhouette of a ship. All lines should be one (1) pixel thick regardless of color. Remember the One Pixel Corners rule:

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: USS Montana BB-67Posted: July 16th, 2011, 8:57 pm
Its a good start.You might be better re-doing the super structure using Columbamike's reference drawing.I know it's a pain in the arse but it will provide a better finished article.Try to eleminate the double thickness black lines.A brave 1ST attempt.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: USS Montana BB-67Posted: July 16th, 2011, 9:07 pm
To Help you Karl94

A +/- "decent***" :? version of Montana, already draw by 2 others "Shipbucket" artists...
[ img ]

*** decent but with severals errors of details...(maybe for AU use ?)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: USS Montana BB-67Posted: July 16th, 2011, 10:10 pm
Colombamike wrote:
acelanceloet wrote:
Better protection for Officer and Crews in event of a large/HEAVY GUN BATTLE again future very large German or Japanese Battleships.
Crews was forced to "move" into the heavily armored coning tower for a better protection.

A 15/16" or a 18" shell can very easily "blow-up" almost the entire (unprotected/unarmored) bridge in event of a full direct hit....
Seems more likely to me that Montana would have received such a bridge in service, just as the Iowas did. As designed and commissioned, the Iowas had exactly the style of open bridge wrapped around the conning tower that we see in these drawings.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: USS Montana BB-67Posted: July 16th, 2011, 10:28 pm
erik_t wrote:
Seems more likely to me that Montana would have received such a bridge in service, just as the Iowas did. As designed and commissioned, the Iowas had exactly the style of open bridge wrapped around the conning tower that we see in these drawings.
USS IOWA as a extended conning tower (for command-ship role), to balance its topweight, she never fitted with a quadruple Bofors gun on N° 02 turret (Turret B)...

Same for USS South-Dakota...

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USS Montana BB-67Posted: July 17th, 2011, 3:04 pm
Here is the 1947 Montana. I added extra quad 40 mm and changed all the single 20 mm to twin. I decided to remove eight quad 40 mm turrets and replace them with 3 inch AA guns. The ship also has new radars that I found on the Worcester class CL. I also removed the Kingfisher and replaced it with the Seahawk.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 5  [ 42 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: